• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I believe in spirituality and a monotheistic entity but not in religion. In my opinion all holy books are written by humans with a special intention, mostly to discribe spiritual experiences and regularities. I prefere parts of the bhagavadgita. But these holy books are commonly used to control people. I'm shure if one opens his/her heart and his/her mind he/she has a hard job not to find some kind of spirituality. But it's definitely easier to find joy in religion if one is young and/or uneducated.

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theists have decided that a god is only maximally powerful (i.e. as powerful as it can be logically), not absolutely powerful, in an effort to solve the omnipotence paradox.
"CouldJesus microwave a burrito so hot that He Himself could not eat it?" - Homer Simpson

Anyway the issue with that is very few evangelicals hold that belief despite the fact that academics, theologians, and historic church leaders have.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"CouldJesus microwave a burrito so hot that He Himself could not eat it?" - Homer Simpson

Anyway the issue with that is very few evangelicals hold that belief despite the fact that academics, theologians, and historic church leaders have.
Very few religious people, evangelicals included, have even thought about things like the problem of evil or the omnipotence paradox.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very few religious people, evangelicals included, have even thought about things like the problem of evil or the omnipotence paradox.
Likewise when certain theologians do raise the question lay people and regular church goers scream blasphemy whenever theology that has not been traditional teached by the church. A fine example is the response to the ideas of Bishop John Doing or the late Dr.Marcus Borg, which while reasonable were condemned as heretically by many well known religious leaders.

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lawfull good or chaotic evil 'n' all between - it's up to you, but...
If you talk to god. Then you're spiritual.
If he/she/it answeres. Then you're lunatic.

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so he isn't absolutely powerful?.. that's boring.
Feat vice Christian god get destroyed by higher-tier pagan gods based on scripts and myth vs the Bible.
But seriously god has never demonstrated anything remotely close to even nigh-omnipotence and we can take him if it comes down to that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lawfull good or chaotic evil 'n' all between - it's up to you, but...
If you talk to god. Then you're spiritual.
If he/she/it answeres. Then you're lunatic.
Actually Christianity forbid spirituality of any sorts. But devoting to a deity in general is a bad idea.

ThePanchamBros

Hates the Undertale Fandom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you? I just wanted to know everyones opinions on this subject
And why? Do you / do you not believe in a god! You don't have to answer but please state that to avoid confusion!

I believe that Jesus died for our sins, and i guess that makes me a christian
And yes I believe in God
Do you? Please answer in the comments section! I'd love to see what you all think on this matter!

EDIT: Also, do you believe in an afterlife? A Heaven or reincarnation? Please share!
heck yes!

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Found it somewhat amusing

Heritage is a major thing of religion.
You go to hell Only if you are killed By a Christian, or being one. That is kind of how faith work, and more reason to respond to god ‘‘Do you want to Have an awful time?’’

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
£1 in the Oxfam book shop netted me this little gem
A first published in 1946... self help book for want of a better term from an American rabbi called Peace of Mind. Though it is to a modern self help book what Songs of Praise is to full bore American Televangelists.

It did however provide one of the best summations of atheism which I have ever seen
"I honestly believe the world is an accidental creation of exploding suns, a place of terror and death. I honestly believe that man is an animal who happens to be endowed with more cunning than the rest of the animal kingdom"

peace_of_mind_1.JPG

peace_of_mind_2.JPG

peace_of_mind_3.JPG

peace_of_mind_4.JPG

Skipping a few pages
peace_of_mind_5.JPG

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
£1 in the Oxfam book shop netted me this little gem
A first published in 1946... self help book for want of a better term from an American rabbi called Peace of Mind. Though it is to a modern self help book what Songs of Praise is to full bore American Televangelists.

It did however provide one of the best summations of atheism which I have ever seen
"I honestly believe the world is an accidental creation of exploding suns, a place of terror and death. I honestly believe that man is an animal who happens to be endowed with more cunning than the rest of the animal kingdom"

View attachment 59731
View attachment 59732
View attachment 59733
View attachment 59734
Skipping a few pages
View attachment 59735
Of course humans are a product of nature, and the smartest we know so far. The best yet most horrorable thing is that nature get rid of failures.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought of the god rock "paradox". Its actually two questions. Is god infinitely powerful? yes. Can he lift anything? yes. So the answer is yes. A similar question is "have you stopped beating your mother?" if you say yes youve beat your mother but are done now and if you say no, well...

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thought of the god rock "paradox". Its actually two questions. Is god infinitely powerful? yes. Can he lift anything? yes. So the answer is yes. A similar question is "have you stopped beating your mother?" if you say yes youve beat your mother but are done now and if you say no, well...
Suddenly realize this is the same as 'Irresistible force' and 'Irremovable object', and I say they surrender. The creator has the intelligence to never bother with it.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I believe, is that an individual should be free to believe what ever comforts them in the face of inevitable mortality.

That said, my own interpretation of religious faith is that it is the result of both human vanity and the genetic imperative to live as long as possible, which, in the hands of creative people down the ages has resulted in all kinds of seductive fantasies, usually centered around a hope that death is not the end. True enlightenment is accepting the gift of existence, and coming to terms with its frail and finite nature.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I believe, is that an individual should be free to believe what ever comforts them in the face of inevitable mortality.

That said, my own interpretation of religious faith is that it is the result of both human vanity and the genetic imperative to live as long as possible, which, in the hands of creative people down the ages has resulted in all kinds of seductive fantasies, usually centered around a hope that death is not the end. True enlightenment is accepting the gift of existence, and coming to terms with its frail and finite nature.
Would you trade your soul to some deity for eternity of illusional paradise? Techinically your body and possibly other things still exist, But a specific instance cease to be.

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would you trade your soul to some deity for eternity of illusional paradise? Techinically your body and possibly other things still exist, But a specific instance cease to be.
how would it be illusional? if all you are is a consciousness then only that has to be moved to a new eternal world which isnt hard for an infinitely powerful god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice