Not open for further replies.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not known exactly why it doesn't work. With BootMii/IOS, a certain memory allocation doesn't work correctly, that does work with BootMii/boot2.

Will it ever work with BootMii/IOS? If not is there a way to replace some parts to make a black Wii support BootMii/boot2? On consoles that will work is it going to be an option to load saves from SD instead of GC save cards?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will it ever work with BootMii/IOS? If not is there a way to replace some parts to make a black Wii support BootMii/boot2? On consoles that will work is it going to be an option to load saves from SD instead of GC save cards?
Really good question, but I don't really think so it will ever work fine. And no you can't replace just some parts of a black wii, you would need to buy some pretty old wii and switch the whole mainboard. Oh and there is a possibility to use saves from SD, see NMM.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you test the old release from Crediar? That one used some hack to get Metroid Prime to work, i suspect it was for the PAL version, which is why the NTSC version does not work. The lastest DML version, that you need to compile yourself, might work for you. And Zelda Collector's Edition has no chance to work with Crediar's version, and with the latest version it should boot. But it might have some problem somewhen later, comparable to the dungeon map freeze in Wind Waker.

Yes I tested with DML PoC released by Crediar.
With DMLr9 Zelda Collector's Edition now loads fine but hangs after selecting anything (retrospective video, demo, games) with same setup as mentioned in previous post.

I dont know if I did something wrong but with this DMLr9 there's no dm.log file created.
I'm gonna test Metroid Prime and will post if it works. Thanks for your compiled DM.elf WiiPower

Edit: With sneek+DI DMLr9 loaded with bootmii as ios Zelda Collector's Edition has sound and sfx issues, same freeze after selecting anything.

Edit 2: Metroid Prime now loads fine with bootmii@boot2 DMLr9, has a lag/beep every 2 seconds but I noticed is only if background music is playing. Same as Resident Evil 2 issue. Is there a way of stop background music playing on gamecube games in DML code? Sorry I'm not a coder but the idea comes from what I learned testing DML.
Metroid Prime with bootmii@ios is not working (black screen)

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Really good question, but I don't really think so it will ever work fine. And no you can't replace just some parts of a black wii, you would need to buy some pretty old wii and switch the whole mainboard. Oh and there is a possibility to use saves from SD, see NMM.

Thanks for the quick answer. I think I will just check ebay in a month or so and buy the cheapest white Wii I can find after confirming the serial code with the seller. I can then fully soft-mod it and use it to help test this project and keep my Black Wii for main gaming. Then if the project reaches a point where a black wii might be possible I can use the black wii for testing as well.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's sad.
people who would benefit most from a good working dml are those with a wii that has the newer dvd drive which doesn't support reading dvd-r discs.
And exactly those wii's aren't having a bootmii @ boot2 either...

How is the execution flow if you run a genuine gamecube disc? Is the wii reset, so that the issue we are having when we use dml after running 'bootmii as ios' doesn't exist anymore? Just curious.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's sad.
people who would benefit most from a good working dml are those with a wii that has the newer dvd drive which doesn't support reading dvd-r discs.
And exactly those wii's aren't having a bootmii @ boot2 either...

How is the execution flow if you run a genuine gamecube disc? Is the wii reset, so that the issue we are having when we use dml after running 'bootmii as ios' doesn't exist anymore? Just curious.

It runs BC, which is similar to boot2, so I guess most stuff is reset. Whereas with DML, DML replaces BC (by my understanding) and that is presumably why the problems arise. One would therefore assume that if you reverse engineered BC a bit more, and had DML do more of what BC did, that may fix the issues.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you test the old release from Crediar? That one used some hack to get Metroid Prime to work, i suspect it was for the PAL version, which is why the NTSC version does not work. The lastest DML version, that you need to compile yourself, might work for you. And Zelda Collector's Edition has no chance to work with Crediar's version, and with the latest version it should boot. But it might have some problem somewhen later, comparable to the dungeon map freeze in Wind Waker.

Yes I tested with DML PoC released by Crediar.
With DMLr9 Zelda Collector's Edition now loads fine but hangs after selecting anything (retrospective video, demo, games) with same setup as mentioned in previous post.

I dont know if I did something wrong but with this DMLr9 there's no dm.log file created.
I'm gonna test Metroid Prime and will post if it works. Thanks for your compiled DM.elf WiiPower

Edit: With sneek+DI DMLr9 loaded with bootmii as ios Zelda Collector's Edition has sound and sfx issues, same freeze after selecting anything.

I haven't tried any multi .dol game yet, maybe some optimisation code from me killed it. If you are able to use a hexeditor, then find PZL in the created 00000008.app and replace it with XZL or something else. Then MIOS won't try to patch the game and you could try if Crediar's version supports those .dols. If you can't do this or don't want to, it's ok, i was going to test some multi .dol game anyways.

Hmm, no sound issues with BootMii boot2 and sound issues with BootMii IOS?

Did you create the debug version or the normal version? The normal version is not supposed to create any logfile.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So we shouldn't give up all hope. It's not like some magic config register is altered that can only be reverted by giving the thing a full reset.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So we shouldn't give up all hope. It's not like some magic config register is altered that can only be reverted by giving the thing a full reset.

My current theory is that it's some register around 0xCC005000, see aram.c from libogc. Apparently Wind Waker tries to allocate 0x1001000 bytes of memory, which is just a little over 16MB. WiiBrew says:
"The GameCube has one 24MB bank of 1T SRAM that is used for all code and data, spread across two external chips; there is also a chip containing 16MB of ARAM, which could be used for storing data."
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Memory_Map

I just have no idea how to access these registers from arm(DML runs on arm).

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't tried any multi .dol game yet, maybe some optimisation code from me killed it. If you are able to use a hexeditor, then find PZL in the created 00000008.app and replace it with XZL or something else. Then MIOS won't try to patch the game and you could try if Crediar's version supports those .dols. If you can't do this or don't want to, it's ok, i was going to test some multi .dol game anyways.

Hmm, no sound issues with BootMii boot2 and sound issues with BootMii IOS?

Did you create the debug version or the normal version? The normal version is not supposed to create any logfile.

Used normal version gonna try debug version and replace with hexedit de 00000008.app from Crediar, thanks again.

Yes bootmii@ios has serious sound issues crackling sfx in those games tested.

Edit: Crediar's DML modified PZL with hexeditor loads the game fine, same issue after select demo, game, video..
Tried debug version of DMLr9 now I can see the logfile

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks, now i know for sure there's something wrong with the audio stuff in BootMii IOS. Crediar confirmed it again in the meantime, but additional proof is never a bad thing.

And the fact that Zelda Collector's Edition does not work with Crediar's version means that i did not break it. Hopefully just apploader detection just needs to be updated.

What's the result with Metroid Prime now? I really hope it works with r9 but not with Crediar's version, as that would mean i already managed to improve DML.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, now i know for sure there's something wrong with the audio stuff in BootMii IOS. Crediar confirmed it again in the meantime, but additional proof is never a bad thing.

And the fact that Zelda Collector's Edition does not work with Crediar's version means that i did not break it. Hopefully just apploader detection just needs to be updated.

What's the result with Metroid Prime now? I really hope it works with r9 but not with Crediar's version, as that would mean i already managed to improve DML.
Metroid Prime now loads fine with bootmii@ boot2 DMLr9, has a lag/beep every 2 seconds but I noticed is only if background music is playing. Same as Resident Evil 2 issue. Is there a way to stop background music playing on gamecube games in DML code? Sorry I'm not a coder but the idea comes from what I learned testing DML.
Metroid Prime with bootmii@ios is not working (black screen)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The sound issues you get with BootMii boot2 should be the same as the ones in Swiss. Right now you can only use the fastest sd card you can find to make it run as good as possible. if emu_kidid finds a solution for this in Swiss, it might be possible to use the same in DML.

The fact that Metroid Prime now boots is really good news, thanks.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok, some test results:
1. BootMii boot2 -> Sneek+DI -> system menu -> DML => Wind Waker works
2. BootMii boot2 -> Sneek+DI -> system menu -> HBC -> system menu -> DML => Wind Waker does not work
3. system menu -> channel that uses IOS254(set in the tmd) -> Sneek+DI -> system menu -> DML => Wind Waker does not work
4. PriiLoader -> BootMii IOS -> Sneek+DI -> system menu -> DML -> Wind Waker does not work

There would be one test left, but it's basically an instant brick, so i won't describe it.

So what's different in tests 2,3 and 4 from test 1? Test 3 and 4 perform actual IOS Reloads, but test 2 does not. Anybody got any ideas?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Test 2 performs an IOS reload as well surely - reloading to IOS58 or whatever IOS HBC is installed to use, and then back to SM IOS?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Test 2 performs an IOS reload as well surely - reloading to IOS58 or whatever IOS HBC is installed to use, and then back to SM IOS?

Hmm, Sneek replaces all IOS. But maybe you are right and it replaces only 99% of them, and/or uses the same code to launch the Sneek IOS as the official stuff.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But do IOS reloads not still occur in SNEEK? (I haven't used it, but it was my understanding they did...) Or at least part of them perhaps, just not the actual changing IOS part. i.e. any registers changed during the process etc are still changed, it just bypasses the actual IOS switch.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A while ago, I did some experiments, creating an ios80 with kernel.bin in it replacing the 0000000E.app. I installed that ios in another slot, and could boot into sneek by simply loading that ios. It had an issue with the Stm Eventhandler that caused problems with the system menu. When giantpune found it's way to let bootmii launch mini from memory, we had an alternative, and I stopt the experiments with the custom ios. (As it was going to be difficult to distribute due to copyright reasons.) It's the only method I can think of right now that boots sneek without bootmii as ios. Should I dig up those experiments again?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
what about games disk? Is it still needed?

Yes it is.

A while ago, I did some experiments, creating an ios80 with kernel.bin in it replacing the 0000000E.app. I installed that ios in another slot, and could boot into sneek by simply loading that ios. It had an issue with the Stm Eventhandler that caused problems with the system menu. When giantpune found it's way to let bootmii launch mini from memory, we had an alternative, and I stopt the experiments with the custom ios. (As it was going to be difficult to distribute due to copyright reasons.) It's the only method I can think of right now that boots sneek without bootmii as ios. Should I dig up those experiments again?

You can just install DML on real nand and boot BC, so not even Sneek is booted. But if you want to boot this without booting the system menu and without booting any IOS, you only have that one instant brick alternative.

Hmm, so my next test should be install DML as IOS and launch a channel that uses this IOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4