Hardware Circle Pad Pro XL has arrived(JP edition) Review

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can you tell if a game supports this or not?

I have RE Revelations and I don't see anything on the box that says it does but have heard it does. Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear also support it I have heard but Kid Icarus does not? So no first party titles support the accessory? I think that is telling.

I might pick it up for revelations which I havent started yet but I don't expect it to be suported much more throughout the 3DS life. They seem to be taking their time releasing this XL version outside of Japan.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How can you tell if a game supports this or not?

I have RE Revelations and I don't see anything on the box that says it does but have heard it does. Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear also support it I have heard but Kid Icarus does not? So no first party titles support the accessory? I think that is telling.

I might pick it up for revelations which I havent started yet but I don't expect it to be suported much more throughout the 3DS life. They seem to be taking their time releasing this XL version outside of Japan.
If I'm not wrong, you have the option to use the CPP in Kid Icarus in case you are left-handed. (So you can play with mirrored controllers)

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
am i the only one that likes touch control more than a 2nd circle pad? I mean, you can flick to targets so much faster with touch control. I love Kid Icarus, and using touch control makes the game so much easier to play.
And something i love just as much as touch control?
Gyro. Resident evil revelations was a BLAST with gyro aiming.

Reactions: Zantigo

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think a lot of us here who wants an integrated 2nd analog stick would have liked if they had done that from the get go. And if they did, I have reasons to believe, more games would have made use of that. And as such , the "IT IZ UZELESS" argument can be thrown out the window. Heck, if they had done that and Ninty decides to release a 3DS with only 1 analog stick, I am pretty sure that these same people will be the ones going "OMG NINTY WTF". LOL Ahh I can still remember many early-adopters who cried and whined (not all. Some were level headed. Thank God!) about the price drop, or when the XL was announced as if it was compulsory to buy every new release. I wonder if that is why people are against a new Ninty release with the 2nd analog stick :P

D

Deleted-188346

IR on the original PSP 1000 was not used by any games at all, was the PSP a disappointment?

Select is rarely used on DS games, is the DS a disappointment?
We're talking about the hypothetical major feature of a hypothetical successor of the 3DS. The PSP 1000 wasn't a successor to anything, and the IR wasn't the major marketed feature. The select button was not a major marketed feature of the DS. People did not buy those consoles for the implementation of IR and select buttons.

You can do better than that Rydian, come on.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And as such , the "IT IZ UZELESS" argument can be thrown out the window.

Not quite, it would be useful if it was released with the first 3DS revision to begin with, the point is slightly different, "It is useless releasing a 3DS with a second circle pad NOW". It is as the saying, too little too late.

Want it or not, most handheld revision by Nintendo focused only in superficial changes which didn't necessarily change the way you play it. The 3DS is not a PC, where you can change the hardware at any time, consoles must follow a pattern very strictly once it is released so there's coherence to some degree.

For example, if Sega instead of making a 32X add-on for Mega Drive, decided to make a new Mega Drive revision with a built-in 32X, it wouldn't be a Mega Drive anymore. It would be a whole new console with backwards compatibility with the Mega Drive.

Releasing a 3DS with new controllers would destroy the coherence of what we call 3DS, just like the Wii is considered a whole new console mostly because of its new controllers when it's well known the Wii hardware is just a little update in the gamecube hardware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about the hypothetical major feature of a hypothetical successor of the 3DS. The PSP 1000 wasn't a successor to anything, and the IR wasn't the major marketed feature. The select button was not a major marketed feature of the DS. People did not buy those consoles for the implementation of IR and select buttons.

You can do better than that Rydian, come on.
1 - People thought that since the PSP could play PSX games that the Vita could play PS2 ones, but nobody here considers the Vita a failure for not doing it.

2 - Who cares if it's a successor? The Xbox wasn't a successor and it rocked out, the DC was a successor and it crashed.

3 - A second analog stick wasn't advertised or stated to be included, and the3DS was very clearly shown without one from the first time we saw the final design.

I'm just wondering where any of this is coming from other than "I had wishes and they didn't turn out, so the device sucks".

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not quite, it would be useful if it was released with the first 3DS revision to begin with, the point is slightly different, "It is useless releasing a 3DS with a second circle pad NOW". It is as the saying, too little too late.
LOL that was exactly what I said. They should have released the 3DS with 2 analog sticks from the very beginning to prevent that said argument :D

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
LOL that was exactly what I said. They should have released the 3DS with 2 analog sticks from the very beginning to prevent that said argument :D

One lesson I learned is people will always bitch about something. If it isn't this, it will be the uncomfortable design, that the battery doesn't last long and so on...

Notice how almost nobody talked about the lack of analogs in the beginning... The CPP is released and BOOM! Now one can't mention the CPP without someone else start whining about it.

Reactions: porkiewpyne
D

Deleted-188346

1 - People thought that since the PSP could play PSX games that the Vita could play PS2 ones, but nobody here considers the Vita a failure for not doing it.

2 - Who cares if it's a successor? The Xbox wasn't a successor and it rocked out, the DC was a successor and it crashed.

3 - A second analog stick wasn't advertised or stated to be included, and the3DS was very clearly shown without one from the first time we saw the final design.

I'm just wondering where any of this is coming from other than "I had wishes and they didn't turn out, so the device sucks".
You do realize that I love the 3DS XL and its Circle Pad Pro, right? I question why people keep asking for a permanent circle pad.
Perhaps check back to the first page. It seems we actually share the same views on the circle pad.

I'm not arguing that a second analog stick was ever stated to be included either. I was saying that:
"Hypothetically, if the 3DS XL had a second analog stick built in, incompatible games (most are) would have no use for it. Either the stick would be a mirror of the other stick, perhaps mirror the D-Pad, or just be a dead stick for those games. A kid with no compatible games for this hypothetical 3DS XL would be very disappointed on Christmas."

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I say we should have dual d-pads

vb2.jpg

D

Deleted-188346

Well mirrored would allow left-handed controls or other control schemes more easily, or just be a substitute for other things, like how in the KH PS2 games you can use the second stick to navigate menus while moving around with the left.
If you wanted extra functionality such as the KH game you described, the games would need to be updated to support it. I can imagine that a lot of companies would not bother.
From what I can see, there are only 9 existing and announced 3DS games that support the circle pad pro. According to wikipedia, there are 168 retail games available for the 3DS in North America. This, to me, does not warrant an internal circle pad.

If the only functionality an internal circle pad gave was "9 proper games and 159 lefty-enabled games", then, essentially, it's just a lefty 3DS. As a right-handed person, it would make more sense to buy the extra circle pad as an attachable, and remove it when not playing a circle pad pro enabled game. Oh wait, that already exists. Damn Nintendo, you quick.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metroid Prime 1,2,3 and hunters say hai ;) Nintendo has a fps! ;o
Retro made those games (1, 2, 3). Hunters was made by an american subsidiary of Nintendo.
So... none of those games were made by Nintendo EAD (Nintendo Japan, the ones who decide how the consoles should be).

I wasn't saying Nintendo doesn't have FPS, I said Nintendo won't ever make one.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone. The 3DS doesnt have a second circle pad. If it were where you all want it to be it would be stupid. Nintendo doesnt want to make another and most likely wont for a while. A Wiimote is a bad example because, news flash, its a fucking remote. Its 40 bucks, not 169. Game engines and shit are also a bad reason for why there shouldnt be, if the code for the CCP is there, just make a second pad emulate it. Your all arguing over something that doesnt even matter because how many people actually play FPSes on handhelds?

Now please, can we all jsut be friends?

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope...