Wii U has no video signal, and no game pad synced - How I fixed it.

Recently I had a Wii U that I was selling (I'v got 4 of them,) and the buyer got back to me right away, and said I sold him a brick. I was like "No I didn't. It worked fine a couple months ago, before I put in storage for sale."
Long story short, I gave the buyer a different one, and took this back, thinking he had probably just broke it, or didn't know what he was doing.
I started it up, got the blue light, but it flashed once, and the DVD check went twice. Sure enough, no video signal from any output. And to top it off, the buyer had un-synced the gamepad.
After reading a lot of doom and gloom posts about fried hardware, or bad EMMC, (some of it around here) I came across a fix for memory errors, but not 'no video signal'. I thought I would try it, since I had nothing to lose.
I changed the battery in the console, because I had heard that might fix it, but it didn't, though the old battery WAS dead. Which makes me think that may have been what caused my problem in the first place, but back to the fix.
I followed this video:
And it fixed my Wii U in under 5 minutes.

Basically you need:
1. A"Rasberry Pie Pico", I happened to have one,
2. A FAT32 Formated SDCard with one file on it recovery_menu, found here: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/recovery_menu/releases,
3. A file installed on your Pico: udpih.uf2, found here: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/udpih/releases,
i. Plug your pico into your pc while holding the boot button.
ii. Place the file on the pico drive. It auto sets up.
iii. Unplug Pico.

Running the fix:
1. Unplug Wii U Power and all USB peripherals.
2. Plug SD card into Wii U.
3. Plug the power cord into the Wii U.
4. Press Power on Wii U.
5. AS SOON as the Wii U disc drive sound finishes, plug Pico into front USB slot. (Either one).

If your issue is software, and not hardware, you should now see a recovery screen.
If you don't get the screen, try the timing of plugging in the Pico a couple more times before you give up and say the Wii U is toast. I did, and I am glad, because my timing was off.

The recovery menu is controlled by "Power" = Enter "Eject" = Next Item.
Enter "Set cold boot Title"
Enter the correct Menu for your Wii U's region.
Once you see the "Success" Message, turn everything off, eject SD card and unplug Pico. Start your Wii U.

All better.

Hope this works for you. Sure did for me.

Last edited by MrBerzerk,

MrBerzerk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A WIi U runs just fine w/o any battery, so we can rule that one out (also in the first post there's no mention of the battery at all?).

The crash sounds like a CBHC brick, so exactly what the "Set Codlboot Title" option of the recovery menu was designed to fix. Has nothing to do with THAT video... The buyer probably just did a factory reset while CBHC was installed and that factory reset is also why the gamepad wasn't synced.

Only question that remains is why was the Wii U blackscreening... This I can't answer but maybe the buyer tried to fix the brick already but made things worse while doing so?

Reactions: Blythe93

MrBerzerk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A WIi U runs just fine w/o any battery, so we can rule that one out (also in the first post there's no mention of the battery at all?).

The crash sounds like a CBHC brick, so exactly what the "Set Codlboot Title" option of the recovery menu was designed to fix. Has nothing to do with THAT video... The buyer probably just did a factory reset while CBHC was installed and that factory reset is also why the gamepad wasn't synced.

Only question that remains is why was the Wii U blackscreening... This I can't answer but maybe the buyer tried to fix the brick already but made things worse while doing so?
I talked to the buyer, and the reason the gamepad wasn't synced was because she couldn't get the gamepad to detect the WiiU, because it wasn't booting right, so she pressed the sync buttons. (This was an un-modded Wii U.)
The only thing I can figure is that "I" factory reset it, then turned it off, and put it in storage for a couple months. The battery died. Then when the buyer went to start it up, it was messed up for some reason. She disconnected the gamepad by resetting the sync, and I got it back.

I suspected that the memory was screwed up, not that my HDMI has suddenly died, and I couldn't find any fixes for video, so I tried the title recache, and it fixed it. Something in the memory for turning on the output signal had messed up.
Post automatically merged:

(also in the first post there's no mention of the battery at all?).
That was just me guessing that the one thing had caused another.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of my Wii U's has this problem displaying no video and a constant flashing blue led. I just bought a Pi Pico and went through the process to no avail with this console. Even changed the battery with a fresh one, but no video and no purple light. I tested the same process with my known working console and it immediately booted to the recovery menu so I know I didn't mess up UDPIH.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I started it up, got the blue light, but it flashed once
Flashing once is normal

And to top it off, the buyer had un-synced the gamepad.
Are you sure it was unsynced and just couldn't connect because the console wasn't comming up? Did it have that white screen with the black text, which tells you to sync it?

Enter "Recache Boot Title"
The Option isn't called "Rechace Boot Title" but "Set cold boot Title", because that's what it does. The video you linked there is very misleading and the auther, who btw confused the CBHC brick with eMMC corruption, just didn't know what he was talking about and made something up. This option doesn't cache anything, it just sets the title in the system.xml, which isn't cached. If a wrong CB title was the problem, it only would show, after the screen is already inited.
There is a good chance that just triggering UDPIH and and then shutting down cleanly fixed the problem for you. Why - not sure. But it would be helpful if you could dump the logs and post them for analysis. Then we might also see what was wrong in the first place.

One of my Wii U's has this problem displaying no video and a constant flashing blue led. I just bought a Pi Pico and went through the process to no avail with this console. Even changed the battery with a fresh one, but no video and no purple light.
Blue blinking means boot1 failed to load IOSU. That can either be caused by corruption on the SLC or defective dram: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ultimat...reset-black-screen-after-stuck-update.642339/
You would have to defuse. If it is only SLC corruption it is fixable with defuse.
Post automatically merged:

The only thing I can figure is that "I" factory reset it, then turned it off, and put it in storage for a couple months. The battery died. Then when the buyer went to start it up, it was messed up for some reason. She disconnected the gamepad by resetting the sync, and I got it back
She probably didn't desync the Gamepad. During the Factory Reset the gamepad gets desynced

Last edited by SDIO,

MrBerzerk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Flashing once is normal

Well, it was booting twice. It would go through the DVD check twice. It only does one DVD check now.

Are you sure it was unsynced and just couldn't connect because the console wasn't comming up? Did it have that white screen with the black text, which tells you to sync it?
She didn't desync the Gamepad, you did, when you did the Factory Reset. During the Factory Reset the gamepad gets desynced
Yes, it was unsynced, and it was the buyer who unsynced it. When I factory reset it, I went through the setup process and made a Mii called 'owner'. I do that with any Wii's WiiU's I sell. So the gamepad was synced when I put it in storage.
She definitely unsynced it because she said she hit the sync buttons and that she was being asked to input the "suits", but nothing was showing on the tv.

The Option isn't called "Rechace Boot Title" but "Set cold boot Title", because that's what it does. The video you linked there is very misleading and the auther, who btw confused the CBHC brick with eMMC corruption, just didn't know what he was talking about and made something up. This option doesn't cache anything, it just sets the title in the system.xml, which isn't cached. If a wrong CB title was the problem, it only would show, after the screen is already initiated.
There is a good chance that just triggering UDPIH and and then shutting down cleanly fixed the problem for you. Why - not sure. But it would be helpful if you could dump the logs and post them for analysis. Then we might also see what was wrong in the first place.

Sorry about the 'Recache' thing, it WAS the boot title option, whatever it was. I thought it said recache, but I knew it had to do with the boot title, and it was the first option.

How do I get you the logs?

What ever my problem was, like you said, triggering the UDPIH fixed the no screen issue for whatever reason, so people can give that a try before giving up on the WiiU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto