Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Save Editing? :S

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Poliwrath, Feb 7, 2010.

Feb 7, 2010
  1. Poliwrath
    OP

Newcomer Poliwrath Member

United Kingdom
    I suppose this is similar to ROM Hacking, so I thought it'd be best to ask for help here.

When starting LOZ: Spirit Tracks, you have to name your file. I was in a rush, and named the file "Limk" instead of "Link" and I left it as that because I didn't think I'd really play the game much. However, now it's really starting to bug me [​IMG]

Do you think I'd be able to edit the save file to change the filename from Limk to Link?

Any help would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. TSPhoenix

Member TSPhoenix GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    There isn't any save editor I know of, but assuming the save data isn't encrypted or compressed (not the smartest assumption, but you'll find out soon enough) its shouldn't be too hard to correct it.

What I've done for older games is fairly simple, but may not work;
    1) Create a new save with the name Link then saving straight away.
    2) Create a new save with the name Limk then saving straight away.
    3) Create a new save with the name LLLLLLL then saving straight away.

Now open up all three saves in a hex editor that allows you to compare files. Hopefully the name will be in the same location for each save, and most of the other data will be the same as they are all new games. Using the three files you have it should be possible to find the name data, and from there changing Limk to Link hopefully won't be too hard.