Country
United States
Required:
1x d-sub connector 25 position Male
1x d-sub Hood
1x ATmega8L
1x 47uF Capacitor, Radial
7x Resistor 220 ohms
2x 28 Pins DIP Socket 0.3In (7.54mm dont confuse this with 0.6In)
1ft any wire between 20awg-30awg

Optional:
1x Resistor 120 ohms
1x 0.1 uF Capacitor (same thing as 100 nF)
1x LED

you can acually use the 0.6in dip socket if you cut the center out, i also used a predrilled board from radioshack to minimize possibility of a short, prob cheaper and easier to use tape or gluegun in the dsub hood

DVDDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my order from Futurlec today. Only took 6 days from the time I ordered it. Not bad at all. Shipped from New York. I'm completely satisfied with them, although a tracking number would have been nice.

Built the programmer and mod (external using an ethernet connector). Now I have to wait for the D2B version to be released. Since I went the external route, I'm using WABModCheap for now. Working well.
biggrin.gif

hazamatic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I built my programmer and flashed the chip (thanks Takrin for the avrdude download).

The flashing went fine with no errors reported.

I went to open up my Wii but the tri-wing screws are stopping me...grrr...
I had a few tri wing bits but they are too big to fit into the Wii's screws.

Where did everyone get there tri-wing screw driver? Ebay?

Anyone know a place around Melbourne which sells them?

Elfish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i just wrote an email to the chiip dev and got this reply
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
> I just read the news on the wiki.
> and i'm kinda curious.
> will beta3 support d2b chips ?

It should, but so far noboday has confirmed if it works or not.

> will it run gc copies too?

Beta3 doesn't run GC copies, but if I can fix this within the next few hours (there's a 50:50 chance I will) I will skip beta3 completely and release beta4 instead. Regards,Cadex

DVDDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my order from Futurlec today. Only took 6 days from the time I ordered it. Not bad at all. Shipped from New York. I'm completely satisfied with them, although a tracking number would have been nice.

Built the programmer and mod (external using an ethernet connector). Now I have to wait for the D2B version to be released. Since I went the external route, I'm using WABModCheap for now. Working well.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Beta 4 works with my D2B chip! Used ATMEGA8L. Now for some more thorough testing before reporting back to the developer.
biggrin.gif

gingi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm going to build a Chiip (waiting for my order from Futurlec to arrive), and hopefully I won't destroy my Wii
tongue.gif
(Haven't soldered anything ever, need to practice). Anyway, is there anyway to use any of the code released for other open-source modchip projects with the Chiip? (I bought a ATMEGA8L-8PU) I think there's only WiiFree at the moment, which uses PICs, correct me if I'm wrong.

hazamatic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think the WiiFree code will work because it is for a PIC chip. Chiip uses AVR chips.

You might be able to make a few modifications to the source and re-compile it if you know how....

Wiip should be easier to to flash on to a Chiip when it becomes available....

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got my Chiip install done. Thanks to Cadex for putting this project together and Scorpei for posting external top secret serial port idea.

I am running Chiip Beta 4 on a D2A Wii. So far all of my original disks (about 8) run except for Wii Sports.

I only have one Wii backup right now, Wii Play which is working perfectly. GC originals are working fine, I'll test a GC backup tommorow.

I'll be following this project very closely. I'm hoping that Cadex and the rest of the community continue to work together. If Chiip approaches WiiKey functionality in the next few months I think it will be a real winner!

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was running the Atmega at 8Mhz. After actually following the directions and running it at 4Mhz now Wii Sports works
smile.gif

Finally got my Chiip install done. Thanks to Cadex for putting this project together and Scorpei for posting external top secret serial port idea.

I am running Chiip Beta 4 on a D2A Wii. So far all of my original disks (about 8) run except for Wii Sports.

I only have one Wii backup right now, Wii Play which is working perfectly. GC originals are working fine, I'll test a GC backup tommorow.

I'll be following this project very closely. I'm hoping that Cadex and the rest of the community continue to work together. If Chiip approaches WiiKey functionality in the next few months I think it will be a real winner!

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to build a Chiip (waiting for my order from Futurlec to arrive), and hopefully I won't destroy my Wii
tongue.gif
(Haven't soldered anything ever, need to practice). Anyway, is there anyway to use any of the code released for other open-source modchip projects with the Chiip? (I bought a ATMEGA8L-8PU) I think there's only WiiFree at the moment, which uses PICs, correct me if I'm wrong.

There are no other projects that work with the Chiip code ... however, you can modify the Wiip code to work with Chiip. WiiFree is a PIC solution and doesn't work the same at all.

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
"Will soon be available as a softmod for Linux/Windows and as a PIC version too"
What does he mean softmod? And will it work with the same PIC as the WiiFree?

Stripey_Horse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"Will soon be available as a softmod for Linux/Windows and as a PIC version too"
What does he mean softmod? And will it work with the same PIC as the WiiFree?

Think wapCheapMod but using chiip code. eg. Wire up ur wii to a db25 and use with a computer..

Same pic as WiiFree , most likely.. hopefully we will see one code base for pics , one for atmegas

Time to play ball commercial mods.

btw. Wont be long till we flash our homebrew mods in gamecube mode.. (none of this wiinja super dupa code etc)

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Beta 4 works, tested on 2 Wii and it works great loads Wii backups, Wii originals, GC originals (havnt tested GC backups yet but should work). tested on 2 chipset, D2B and DMS, i did get 1 DRE with Wario Smooth Moves on D2B but fixed when i rebooted Wii (perhaps its a bad burn). Also the LED helps alot, since it lets me know the chiip is working and i dont have to try and figure out what went wrong. so far i reprogramed my AVR like crazy and works fine, i always thought they were bit more fragile. i've also accidently plugged my chip in backwards and the AVR never fried hehe.

Useless Info:
media used was
Ritek G05

Burner used
Asus DRW-1608p2 (made by Pioneer)
4x burn speed
this was my fav choice since it didnt give me a backup with DRE yet

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
burn speed 4x
gave me DRE on D2B Wario 1 time so far

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Beta 4 works, tested on 2 Wii and it works great loads Wii backups, Wii originals, GC originals (havnt tested GC backups yet but should work). tested on 2 chipset, D2B and DMS, i did get 1 DRE with Wario Smooth Moves on D2B but fixed when i rebooted Wii (perhaps its a bad burn). Also the LED helps alot, since it lets me know the chiip is working and i dont have to try and figure out what went wrong. so far i reprogramed my AVR like crazy and works fine, i always thought they were bit more fragile. i've also accidently plugged my chip in backwards and the AVR never fried hehe.

Useless Info:
media used was
Ritek G05

Burner used
Asus DRW-1608p2 (made by Pioneer)
4x burn speed
this was my fav choice since it didnt give me a backup with DRE yet

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
burn speed 4x
gave me DRE on D2B Wario 1 time so far

good to hear that it works on D2B

BETA 5 is out !