Hacking Chiip Opensource Modchip

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fiver: nice pics and install!

I'm wondering why you didn't just put a DB9F connector on the back end of your programmer, instead of the 28-pin socket
wink2.gif

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My Futurlec order did arrive today, but with the wrong IC sockets ... they are way too wide. I've got a complaint email in to them already. For now I'm just gonna cut the socket in half and match it up correctly ... oh well. Never ordering from there again, sticking with Jameco. Plan on building it tomorrow and after that, I'll update.

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked myself the same question once I was done with the project
smile.gif

I think I still might do this if I get the gumption.

Really, the cleanest solution would be to do something like this:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300676.pdf

Install the chiip *inside* the backshell. Use the DB25 side for plugging into your compy parallel port to program. Use the DB9 side for plugging into your Wii.

That would be pretty sweet.

fiver: nice pics and install!

I'm wondering why you didn't just put a DB9F connector on the back end of your programmer, instead of the 28-pin socketÂ
wink2.gif

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, the cleanest solution would be to do something like this:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300676.pdf

Install the chiip *inside* the backshell. Use the DB25 side for plugging into your compy parallel port to program. Use the DB9 side for plugging into your Wii.

That would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, that housing would be totally hot! Dual-purpose and all. And of course, the LED would have to show through a small hole in the housing!

Heres a couple pics of my programmer. All from spare or recycled parts; nothing was purchased for this project! (except for the Atmel)

I decided not to put the socket in my housing so it would be a little more heavy-duty (I'll be programming a number of chips.)

at_prog_front.jpg

at_prog_back.jpg

What I wish I'd done differently:

1. Used a precision socket. All I had was the standard type. Oh well, it'll still handle many inserts/removals.

2. Used an axial capacitor so it would sit lower. I didn't have any lying around; in fact, I didn't have ANY 47uF caps. I ended up pulling a 220uF radial cap off of a broken Xbox motherboard.
tongue.gif

3. Used a smaller piece of perfboard. This one was recycled from a previous project.

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imsomebody: Truly awesome! And is quite "chiip" (cheap) in the spirit of the project!

Perplexer: Very nice and professional looking.

Do you guys mind if I put these pics up on the Chiip wiki?

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we received our parts yesterday from Digi-Key. After finding out we ordered the wrong part we had to improvise. We found an old Gameshark Playstation cartridge that worked out pretty well.

After building the programmer, we tried to program a chiip but receiving an error that the AVRDude could not find the device. After a little while of tinkering we figured out that on the main site Cadex is showing the bottom pin layout for the D-SUB 25 connector but you’re looking at the top of the socket in the diagram. After reversing the wires it flashed perfectly. "IIIIT's ALIIIIIVE" The led was flashing after we programmed it. It got to late to attempt to work on the console, we are going to attempt that later today. We will let everyone know if it works.

Thanks for sharing Cadex (fun project even if you are not modding a Wii). Thanks everyone for the pics and stories, they really helped us.

Here is our little Frankenstein.

Feel free to use them if you like fiver.

P1010055s.JPG

P1010061s.JPG

P1010069s.JPG

TheTwins

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I consider this is a piece of art than a programmer
imsomebody: Awesome! I want a 15x scale sculpture of it on the marble floor of my foyer!

Well, OK, I don't have marble floors, or a foyer, but you gotta admit, a four-foot-tall sculpture like this would be pretty cool!

fiver: thanks, I'd be happy if you used my pics. You need to post your DB25M/DB9F all-in-one when you're done!

anitabill: Great improv! Old tech never dies; it is recycled! I remember reflashing those things with a PC-comms kit so they'd work as a "plug-mod"!

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, the incorrect sockets are killing me. I tried cutting one in half and it's too weak, so I can't pull the chip out of it! I'm gonna keep tinkering, but I don't think this'll work out ... if not, I'll order the parts from Jameco tomorrow and see what my overnight bill would be like ...

I'm so disappointed ... I was super excited to see the parts came, and to have the two IC sockets be incorrect is killing me!

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We finally got around installing the Chiip that we flashed last night. I have to say, I am impressed. It played everything we through at it. There were some stuttering issues with one game but that could have been a bad burn.

We also tested Gamecube homebrew by downloading the latest Genesis emulator and loaded it with hundreds of roms. It works perfectly.

TheTwins

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I finally took the time to take pictures of my programmer... It's not a very nice clean looking one, but it gets the job done, and I didn't feel like taking the time to make it perfect.

DSCN1467-small.jpg

DSCN1464-clean.jpg

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sorry is there really 2 of you, or are u just staying true to your name by referring to yourself in the plural
laugh.gif

@Roberts:

Thats a great looking chiip u built there, hats off to ya! i can only hope mine turns out close to that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    but that's a long shot
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
  • DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma:
    I'm new! Hi!
    DilllyDabDharma @ DilllyDabDharma: I'm new! Hi!