Hacking Chiip Opensource Modchip

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, man. You can't really say one is better than the other really, they both have their perks. The reason I went with Wiifree was because
1. It's on a PIC, and I can't find any ATmega8l8s anywhere
2. It's got constant updates (when wiinewz is running)

When chiip goes to a PIC, I might switch over, it just depends. Really, I just hope one or both of the firmwares eventually get to the point of being able to be upgraded by DVD, because I don't have a programmer, and the one I built doesn't work at all.

xiaNaix

OP
Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
Really, I just hope one or both of the firmwares eventually get to the point of being able to be upgraded by DVD, because I don't have a programmer, and the one I built doesn't work at all.

That would be nice, wouldn't it.
wink.gif

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um openwii is pritty close but it doesn't offer dvd-rw support of any kind, and chiip hasn't been determined not opensource yet... cadex could release the source anyday

edit
------------
tom i've put in an order for 3 pic chips to try out wiifree, how did you go about programming it?

atka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't matter right now Chiip is the better firmware so I am using that. But if openwii gets better (6X reading support) then I'll be switching to that. At least we have a choice of two firmwares to run on our chips.

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't matter right now Chiip is the better firmware so I am using that. But if openwii gets better (6X reading support) then I'll be switching to that. At least we have a choice of two firmwares to run on our chips.

one thing about OpenWii is the firmware is ported to many different types of chips: PICS, the ATmega (which Chiip uses) etc..

uh, who cares. both let us play backups. chiip was fun to build, and hopefully will continue to be a great choice for a wii-chip as features grow.Â
biggrin.gif

ya, it was fun to build. I now have an SP12 programmer to program those Atmel chip. Writing programs for it is pretty neat too. (my strict, but cool teacher in high school made us program a scientific calculator in assembly........
wacko.gif
)

oh, and soldering a wire to the leg of the DVD chip because i was noob and ripped a soldering pad off was [satire] SO FUN!!!
grog.gif
[/satire]...LOL

atka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this is for Chiip but openwii just released a new firmware that is working on the Chiip and has 6X dvd read support.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I know this is for Chiip but openwii just released a new firmware that is working on the Chiip and has 6X dvd read support.
That is pretty awesome. I can confirm that the WarioWare video is not stuttering at all. I just wish the LED didn't flash on and off while it is in use. It is fairly annoying compared to the solid red of Chiip's firmware.

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone point us to the correct HEX file to use with the Chiip programmer? Also did you have to change any perimeters when flashing? I'm also guessing that the pin layout and solder points on the DVD are the same?

Thank a ton
Bill

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I tried it out, and the 6x speed works.

For me though the chiip firmware is better, since it works with my DVD+R's, and DVD+RW.

yea works great for me also, wario dont lag anymore when movies playing. switched to this until chiip has better update, also DVD+RW is a feature nice to have but i'm scared, dont know the after effects of that yet, i'm not risking it since PS2 drives got worn out fast by playing games on DVD+RW

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post. two threads....

It didn’t work at all for me. I flashed the new firmware and the Chiip was blinking when put in the Wii. but no disks would boot at all. reflashed with the Chiip firmware and all is well. I guess I’ll just wait for the chiip firmware to get updated. Thanks for your help.

Bill

klick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi
i dont know where to look anymore...have been checking my programmer 3 or 4 times but it seemed all ok. i just cant flash the chip...I installed this giveio and then entered the command to flash the beta 5 but it just says device does not respond. i have an atmega 8l-8pu and i already checked that parallel port option in the bios. could anyone give me some hint? or is someone of you from germany who could build me a programmer? i would pay for it. it is very annoying to search and search without finding the error.

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi
i dont know where to look anymore...have been checking my programmer 3 or 4 times but it seemed all ok. i just cant flash the chip...I installed this giveio and then entered the command to flash the beta 5 but it just says device does not respond. i have an atmega 8l-8pu and i already checked that parallel port option in the bios. could anyone give me some hint? or is someone of you from germany who could build me a programmer? i would pay for it. it is very annoying to search and search without finding the error.

Klick,

Don’t give up that easy. This is exactly why I liked the project. It is completely satisfying when you get that little LED to blink. I can try to help you. There are a couple of problems that I’ve come across that could cause that error.

Look at the diagram on the Chiip site the first pic is the socket the second is the D-SUB25. The socket is looking from the top and the D-SUB 25 is from the bottom. A few people including myself thought the he was showing the socket from below also. (You may have the socket wires reversed)

If you put the components on the chip without putting it in the socket first, it my not be sitting low enough to program. (This is what happen to my brother) have someone put pressure on the chip and see if it will program.

If neither helps you take a picture of the programmer and post it so we can look at it. Also let us know exactly what you are doing to program the chip. The easiest methods is to edit the bat file included in beta 4 and use that. This way you don’t have to type in DOS over and over to get it to work.

Bill

Grammar edit

klick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thanks a lot for your hints.
I was looking the whole time if there was a mistake and an hour ago I found it
biggrin.gif

the d-sub 25 thing is been numbered from the back. I thought it was the front (that was one of your hints too wasnt it?). Ill repair that and hope that it will work then. will the led light blink or something when programmed (in the programmer not in the wii)?
Ill report if i was successful.
thx again anitabill

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof