PS1/2 [REQUEST] English patch for "Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2" (PSX)

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's not even a real subforum for PSX games except this small one so I don't know if this gets any attention but since I'm talking about a PS1 game this has to be the right (and only) place to ask for this.

aL1hGg7.jpg

Let's get this straight:
Many people (me included) not only loved but even adored the first two instalments of the Dragon Quest spin-off series that would be "Dragon Quest Monsters" ("Dragon Warrior Monsters" in the US back then). They are pure 2D RPG happiness for the GBC and (without comparing them too much here) the better Pokémon games back then in my opinion.

There was a really well done 3DS remake (Terry's Wonderland 3D) for the japanese market with some nice postgame content for which an english patch was released.
I really enjoyed that game on my 3DS.

However:
Nothing beats the charme and atmosphere of the 2D versions and luckily enough there WAS a remake of those two old GBC games for the PS1 long before the 3D version for the 3DS happened.
It had both (DQM 1 & 2) included into one game, has beautiful graphics and music and comes as close as it gets for an ultimate 2D version.
To all our misfortune Enix screwed us once again and released it in Japan only.

But:
Soon a small team started a translation project for the game to the delight of many many fans (me included).
That was almost a thousand years ago and sadly the project eventually died. If you check some forums, reddit and YouTube comments there's still a very high demand for this, although the 3DS game happened and got a (very good) translation patch as mentioned.

Here's a YouTube video of the intro for which the translation was completed back then:

And here's a woodus thread about the topic:
https://www.woodus.com/forums/topic/22726-dragon-quest-monsters-12-psx-translation-progress/page/4/

And here's the twitter account of one of the translators (Tom) but all tweets about DQM have been deleted as it seems:
https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator

Unfortunately the blog where the team posted their progress back then died a few months ago but the project was dead anyway and nothing was ever released.

I tried my luck with the AI translation feature of RetroArch but it's not taking us very far (still a pretty cool feature though which hopefully progresses in the future).

With so many people still wishing for this english patch and so many talented romhackers and translaters out there I figured I'd try a last desperate attempt here to raise some attention for this:
Please give this one a shot!

Last edited by lordelan,

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm with you. I've been waiting over 10 years for this translation to finish. All I keep getting is that it's not abandoned........but it looks like the original person responsible has lost interest in the project or simply can't find time to work on it. For whatever reason they refuse to say the project is dead so everyone can move on...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would love this. I had been following the original translation for 10 years waiting for it to come out. I keep hearing that "it hasn't been abandoned" but the original hacker has lost interest or can't find the time to work on it anymore. instead of just coming out and saying the project is no more, they keep saying it is alive and continue to keep people's hopes up. I would love if another team could pick this up.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm with you. I've been waiting over 10 years for this translation to finish. All I keep getting is that it's not abandoned........but it looks like the original person responsible has lost interest in the project or simply can't find time to work on it. For whatever reason they refuse to say the project is dead so everyone can move on...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would love this. I had been following the original translation for 10 years waiting for it to come out. I keep hearing that "it hasn't been abandoned" but the original hacker has lost interest or can't find the time to work on it anymore. instead of just coming out and saying the project is no more, they keep saying it is alive and continue to keep people's hopes up. I would love if another team could pick this up.
Well at least I'm glad someone found this thread lol. Guess it's too hidden since not many people are in this sub.
Yeah I've been following it for many many years as well.
I think a problem was, that there wasn't enough RAM allocation for any words longer than 5 characters or something like that since Japanese doesn't require more but if you translate it to english, many words are longer than 5 characters.
But this should be a problem for many translations from Japan theoretically so I still have my hopes up.

Reactions: Yasivr and Signtist

Signtist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked up my old login to 3rd this request! I used to visit the Aerie at least once a week to check if there were any updates. One day I decided to just forget it and eventually I'd remember and by then it should be translated. I was sad to finally remember it today only to hear that the translation was abandoned after all those years of assurance that it was still being worked on...

Reactions: lordelan and jonsmo

jonsmo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jensma.de
XP
Country
Germany
I just looked up my old login to 3rd this request! I used to visit the Aerie at least once a week to check if there were any updates. One day I decided to just forget it and eventually I'd remember and by then it should be translated. I was sad to finally remember it today only to hear that the translation was abandoned after all those years of assurance that it was still being worked on...

Me too! I had the project website in my bookmarks and visited it every now and then.. until the website was offline. That was a bit devastating :(

Reactions: lordelan

JUg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was devastated to hear that the group stopped working on this :(

Surely they could have share what they had done and put it in a repository of some kind? Even with the release of the 3DS remake it would still have been nice to be able to play that version as well.

Reactions: Yasivr and lordelan

evildiesel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also used to check on this translation weekly! Just looking at the site now I see a comment from me in 2009. I think the site was revamped a few times. Pure frustration on my part as time went on, they wouldn't update at all. Like years in between what few updates we got and the game looked so well done. I'm sure there was something in there that made Kingcom change his mind about it but he should have given what he had to Translator Tom. He at least tried to finish it. I'd love to see a translation for this. I even tried learning Japanese. They did give us Caravan Heart though which was amazing!! Thanks for that!

Check out aerie.wingdreams.net for the updated site.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meanwhile I tried playing this with the AI translation feature from RetroArch but the "translation" is too slow and horrible yet to enjoy the game. Still very sad about this as this is the "definite version" of the GBC game for me, not the 3DS remake. That was fun to play too and had some nice post game content but I'd rather loose myself in this 2D artstyle.

ExitWound

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile I tried playing this with the AI translation feature from RetroArch but the "translation" is too slow and horrible yet to enjoy the game. Still very sad about this as this is the "definite version" of the GBC game for me, not the 3DS remake. That was fun to play too and had some nice post game content but I'd rather loose myself in this 2D artstyle.

Yeah, that game just looks sooo good. I want to play it, but it's not looking good. Any chance you can tell me how I could go about playing the English-patched 3DS remake? I'd love to have a go at that one.

jonsmo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
jensma.de
XP
Country
Germany

Hahaha, me too - that was a chore, and I gave up after the second portal :D

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, that game just looks sooo good. I want to play it, but it's not looking good. Any chance you can tell me how I could go about playing the English-patched 3DS remake? I'd love to have a go at that one.
What do you mean by "how"?
Just google the decrypted version of it for Citra or any CIA for a hacked 3DS and have fun. :)

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't believe there's nobody capable of doing this who's not interested.
I mean ppl are translating literally anything these days.
I know this is a little tricky as for the character limit of each text box (japanese have less characters than english letters for each sentence of course) but still ... I hope somebody will do it!

Ryukiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Unfortunately the blog where the team posted their progress back then died a few months ago but the project was dead anyway and nothing was ever released.
If only they release the project publicly with the tool to hack the game, and the documentation too.
Really, the hardest part of English translation project is the hacking part.
The old team already able to hack it and successfully inserted the translation.
If the project source code are available publicly all that we had to do is just to continue where they left and hire a Japanese translator, but sadly we had to start from zero.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over