Capcom starts adding anti-cheat and anti-modding "Enigma Protector" DRM to older titles on Steam

capcom-is-adding-drm-enigma-protector-to-their-back-catalog-v0-DN1v084rnkvQVxhVoqSF9iJTdc1VTDC...png

Capcom has been in the spotlight these past years due to their successful new entries in beloved franchises like Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter. However, during these past years they have had their fair share of controversy as well, like using Denuvo DRM in some of their titles, which has been proven to affect performance of titles like Resident Evil 8 compared with the same game with DRM removed, and today, something similar has been making the rounds online, as Capcom has been caught updating older titles with an intrusive DRM.

Resident Evil: Revelations was one such title, in which Capcom added a sneaky update on January 8th for Steam, which seemed to fix a couple bugs still remaining from the release (like fixing Jill's Samurai Edge's weapon recognition), but also added Enigma Protector DRM, which started to cause issues with mods already installed for the game, causing it to crash. Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection, Mega Man Battle Network Collection and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective have also been titles affected by this intrusive DRM update by Capcom as well.

The "Enigma Protector" DRM is yet another type of protection for executable files, and when implemented into games, it basically strips away the option to use cheats and mods into said games through a series of memory checks. Adding to this, it's important to note that a lot of Capcom's older titles up to this day still retain a lot of bugs, glitches, and even possible game breaking issues, which to this day have yet to be addressed officially by Capcom, and leaves only the fanbase to take action and fix some of these issues through mods, and with the inclusion of this DRM, some of these fanmade fixes could end up being completely broken, effectively rendering certain older games unplayable to some users.

However, the issues don't stop with just disabling modding and cheats for single player games, but it also has been confirmed to cause performance issues in titles with this DRM implemented, reducing framerate for some titles from 10 to up to 20 fps in some dire cases.

Given the whole ordeal, users went into the Enigma Protector threads to bring forth the problem of their DRM causing performance problems when implemented into their games, and in a very professional way, the response of the Enigma Protector team on their threads leaves a lot to be desired, boiling down to a really aggressive and hostilie response given the light report.

It's important to note that as of January 9th, a statement was issued on Steam, mentioning that there was an issue observed in the January 8th update, and that the update will be rolled back, but they specify that once the issue is resolved, the update will be added back once again.

Regarding the update said:
Due to an issue observed with the latest update released, we have reverted the corresponding update.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, and once the issue is resolved, we will re-release the update.
Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation.

This seems to be yet another instance of DRM affecting legitimate users and legitimate users only, since those that desire it can either roll back the update through some of Steam's options, or just completely sail the high seas and play a cracked version of the games, more so for older and single player titles that have played just fine and have thrived from the modding scene without official interference for decades at this point.

To add salt to injury, titles that have seen this intrusive DRM added into them are no longer working on Steam Deck.

For those interested in how to roll back updates through Steam, user @MaxiBash has provided instructions on how to roll back the updates for the affected games on Steam so far in a post in this thread.

UPDATE:
A supposed list of more Capcom games that have been affected by Capcom's inclusion of the Enigma Protector DRM has surfaced:

:arrow: Resident Evil: Revelations "Regarding the update" notice
:arrow: Original Enigma DRM thread and archived link

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Before this thread turns into 140 comments of people arguing endlessly with eachother, just remember you can use the Steam console and download_depot command to revert to an older version of these games without this crappy DRM.

I couldn't find evidence of these three games receiving any recent updates, but I've included the commands for a previous version anyway. Not gonna get into detail what all of this means, just downgrade already.

Press the Windows key + R together and type in steam://open/console. In the console, type in one of these commands for the corresponding game you want to downgrade.

Resident Evil: Revelations
download_depot 222480 222481 7506113651617344189

Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection
download_depot 999020 999021 5823837421081242067

Mega Man Battle Network Collection Vol. 1
download_depot 1798010 1798011 6479892931656534289

Mega Man Battle Network Collection Vol. 2
download_depot 1798020 1798021 6414382211667678232

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
download_depot 1967430 1967431 993375542674616312

The finished download will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_[XXX]\depot_[XXX] (XXX corresponding to the app ID and depot ID, the numbers seen in the command). Optionally, overwrite the contents of the new versions present in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\[game name].

tl;dr fuck Capcom

Thanks for the instructions.
I'll probably add this info to the OP if you're okay with it, so others know how to do it in case Crapcom decides to continue this.

Also, for the Mega Man titles, there was a user who showed the EXE of Zero/ZX Collection on a Hex Editor with the Enigma DRM in it.
The other titles besides Revelations are not from a couple of days ago, but further back. Seems like Revelations might have been a fluke, but you never know.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
re:revelations was deck verified before this lol, if this DRM breaks steam deck compatability then it'll instantly plummet to unsupported lmao

the deck was literally the reason why i bought the mega man collections, and if this DRM breaks deck compatability then lmao nice rip thanks capcunt

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't you dare touch save wizard with this shit capcom. (talking about PS4) i know this is for steam but still...

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean Capcom did some stupid stuff, but this is straight BS and reminds me of that "We had a good thing going, but only because of your ego we lost everything" scene from Breaking Bad.

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Removing GfWL from Lost Planet 2? Ehhhh that can wait

Put Rollback into MMBNLC, even as a post-launch patch? Pffft, no one will care

Destroy an entire ecosystem of game mods, including the incredible RE4 HD project (& possibly Tango down the line if they add encryption) AND cripple game performance of legitimate customers??
AWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHH

Last edited by Kitocco,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This makes no sense...

In regards to cheats and modifications, why is this impacting single player? I can understand from the multiple player standpoint, obviously cheats and what not gives way too many advantages and kind of ruins the experience in the multiplayer environment. Really though single player, and why for these older entries? I would expect shoddy behavior like this with newer titles being released, not older entries.

As for the DRM...Why? I'm sure cracked versions of all these titles exist in one form or another, plenty of ports for many of these too. What the hell gives? Like my last point, these aren't even new titles, this is absurd. Usually I don't care about anti-piracy measures so long as the performance isn't impacted in some way (if I payed for the game and it's not ruining my experience, should I really care at that point?), but this is stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1