Capcom unveils their plans for the next iteration of the RE Engine, codenamed "REX Engine"

Capcom has held a steady and high quality standard when it comes to their latest AAA titles, and a huge part of this comes thanks to their proprietary engine that debuted with Resident Evil 7 back in 2017, codenamed "RE Engine".

Since RE7, the RE Engine has been used almost in all titles released since then, taking into account every Resident Evil title since 2017, including Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake and its side companion Resident Evil: Resistance, Resident Evil 8 (Village), and the most recent Resident Evil 4 Remake released back in April. But not only has Resident Evil benefited from the RE Engine, the latest titles in other franchises like Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Exoprimal, Devil May Cry, Pragmata and Dragon's Dogma have all been using the RE Engine.

With the growing demands of technology and hardware, Capcom's Research and Development team released today a video through their YouTube channel regarding the engine powering their latest titles for more than 6 years, the current state of the engine and what are the plans going forward for the highly acclaimed engine, with Capcom listing the following challenges to overcome for the current iteration of the engine:

RE Engine's Future said:
RE Engine Challenges
  • Expansion and diversification of project scale
    • Need to efficiently handle large volumes of large size assets
    • Need for a high degree of customization per title
  • Used by overseas subcontractors, multinationalization of team members
    • Importance of documentation, samples and localization
  • Increase in the number of mid-career and new graduates with commercial game engine experience
    • Increased demand for customizability and usability
= Need a new standard of engine
Codename REX: RE neXt Engine

Given the challenges, Capcom has decided to create a new standard for the engine, and instead of making an entirely new engine from scratch, they are focusing their efforts on polishing and improving the existing RE Engine with features from their so called "next" plans. The current RE Engine will see the new technologies implemented gradually and in phases:

REX Development Direction said:
New technology (RE + X) is to be introduced to the existing RE Engine in phases
  • REDox
  • REUI
  • RELog
  • REFlows
  • REAssetStream
  • REProfiler
  • RELauncher
  • RERuntime

No further information was shared about said technologies, but they promised more details at another time.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Indeed, I was referring to DMC5 :P
That's why I wrote "the latest titles in other franchises", but maybe I should have been more thorough.
Don't sweat it, its clear enough it's Dmc5 referred to.

Btw I could recall playing Devil May Cry on Ps3, but had forgotten its release year so had to look that up, while checking the year I found that Ninja Theory developed DMC(2013).

Why the hell $ony never snagged that studio during Heavenly Sword's development is beyond me, now Micro$oft acquired Ninja Theory to lock them to only making X-bot exclusives.

So am guessing Hellblade 2 Senua's Saga is another game I won't be able to play coz it's gonna be an X-bot exclusive.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Capcom has so many great IPs and all they ever focus on these days is just RE and maybe Mega Man. And of course, Street Fighter.
I mean there was also Exoprimal, it looks mediocre though. Dragon's Dogma 2 releases early next year, and they still have an unannounced title up their sleeve which they expect will sell like crazy. One of the more packed release schedules among AAA devs.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Cool, now port the engine to run natively on the Switch. (That's why Capcom rallied for the Switch to get 2 extra GB of RAM in the first place, so they could port their game engine to the system.)

And remake Code Veronica X, for fuck's sake... NOW is the perfect time between mainline games!
Wish they officialized Code Veronica X as the official and original RE3 instead of Nemesis but well ....

I've also never played Dino Crisis but I also hope they remake it, that would be so dope actually

I mean there was also Exoprimal, it looks mediocre though. Dragon's Dogma 2 releases early next year, and they still have an unannounced title up their sleeve which they expect will sell like crazy. One of the more packed release schedules among AAA devs.
I've finished Exoprimal and honestly it's really better than just mediocre. Made me understand that « competitive PvE » is actually a lot of fun.
The biggest issue with the game is the fact that it's basically handled like a free to play live service game, but is a pretty expensive paid game. Also it was a huge bummer to not be able to play with a friend who got the game on Steam because I have on gamepass, even tho there was crossplay matchmaking. Darktides had (and to my knowledge, still has but maybe I'm wrong) the same issue.

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: Marc_LFD and Xzi

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Wish they officialized Code Veronica X as the official and original RE3 instead of Nemesis but well ....

I've also never played Dino Crisis but I also hope they remake it, that would be so dope actually

I've finished Exoprimal and honestly it's really better than just mediocre. Made me understand that « competitive PvE » is actually a lot of fun.
The biggest issue with the game is the fact that it's basically handled like a free to play live service game, but is a pretty expensive paid game. Also it was a huge bummer to not be able to play with a friend who got the game on Steam because I have on gamepass, even tho there was crossplay matchmaking. Darktides had (and to my knowledge, still has but maybe I'm wrong) the same issue.
I'm sad that Dino Crisis 3 was a massive turd. We need the whole trilogy remade so we can do each game justice.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd rather play Vermintide 2 over Darktide, and Deep Rock Galactic over Exoprimal. As you say, it'd be a lot more popular as a $30 or F2P game.

Reactions: LightBeam

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's the point...it doesn't.
If you're looking from purely gamers perspective.
Its about having a fun and engaging gameplay and story, something you can do with game cube graphics just fine.
Gamers expect high-end graphics from AAA games, though. $70 games with 2D/pixel graphics would barely sell at all. As long as there's a minimum baseline standard for hardware performance, nobody gets left in the dust, and that's why DLSS on Switch 2 will be a huge difference maker.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, now port the engine to run natively on the Switch. (That's why Capcom rallied for the Switch to get 2 extra GB of RAM in the first place, so they could port their game engine to the system.)

And remake Code Veronica X, for fuck's sake... NOW is the perfect time between mainline games!
by the time this engine is ready for a game, the Switch 2 would be out

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamers expect a good game.
Games benefit from more powerful hardware in more ways than just pretty graphics. Gamers want fun games, yes, but they typically want games that perform well too. I'm not a big fan of the push for cg realism in games either, but it's not like that's the only art style that benefits. Video games are an art form, and I like seeing games that are pretty to look at. at the end of the day, just because something can't be played on the lowest common denominator hardware doesn't mean it shouldn't be made. Why not expect hardware manufactures to make higher end hardware more accessible? I think that would do more for the total amount of enjoyment that gamers can experience than expecting every game to run on a laptop from 2015 or whatever.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gamers expect a good game.
There are a whole lot of good indie games, and a whole lot of gamers who don't ever play indie games. I'm not one of them, but that's the reality of things. It's the reason that even Nintendo tries to push graphical fidelity in their AAA games like TotK to the point that performance massively suffers.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would start back making stuff like RockMan/MegaMan games.

But alas, mindless shooters bring in more money, so that's all they think about in this age,

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would start back making stuff like RockMan/MegaMan games.

But alas, mindless shooters bring in more money, so that's all they think about in this age,
I wouldn't call the re games mindless shooters on principle, they're typically survival horror games, usually with a focus on inventory and encounter management.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto