"Call of Duty" servers for the 360-era games have been fixed, some with 100k+ players online

multi-e1592505156923.jpg

Gamers that played during the 7th generation of video game consoles (which included the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii), would most likely remember the craze that was Call of Duty back in the day. With the chaotic matches and a good variety of online multiplayer modes in Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, to the Black Ops series that are still on-going today, the experience that was playing an online match in any of those titles was one for the ages, with all the mom-calling by 5 year olds included of course.

Sadly, the servers for many of the titles previous to the 8 generation of consoles were offline for quite some years, leaving only the most recent titles to be playable online. However, due to the whole discussion and on-going arrangements regarding Microsoft acquiring Activision, it seems like one of the involved parties in the merger have fixed the servers, and players wanting to relive their beloved days of getting roasted by kiddos can do so right now.

Titles such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2 & 3, haven't confirmed if 1 works), Black Ops 1 & 2 can be played online back again thanks to the server fixes (with many people have citing it's thanks to Microsoft pushing for a fix to the servers instead of Activision, but it remains to be confirmed). The games can be played on the original Xbox 360, but they can also be played on Xbox One consoles and through the latest Xbox Series consoles as well through their classics service, though some players have been experiencing input delays when playing through the Series consoles.

Almost all of the CoD titles are currently seeing thousands and thousands of players online, with the least amount being around 8k to 10k for titles like Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3, to the incredible number of 70k up to above 100k players online for Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, respectively.

It's likely that Microsoft is re-enabling these servers ahead of their Activision merger and in preparation of said games appearing on their Game Pass service, but it's all speculation at the moment.
If you have that soft spot for the older CoD titles that the newers ones just cannot match, be sure to jump right back into these titles to relive those great moments from back in the early 2010's right now!

:arrow: Source

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last thing we need is a remaster with crates, dance moves etc.

They need to fix the servers on PS3, I got back into it but if your psn account is newer than 2015 you can't rank up, you get reset whenever you leave online

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Black Ops 2 servers were online? Because i played it like almost 8 months ago on Series S. It was just infected with hackers and my first TDM match i suddenly got thrown into a sniper lobby.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to have a chat with the people which manage servers to know if they plan on taking down Call of Duty's servers on Wii. I don't play the game but Nintendo went in 2020 then broke the NAS server which is used as a gateway to connect on games. You can only play the game using this cheat code now, and the reason why it broke is because Nintendo updated their Apache web server and that broke the ability to use 2 Host headers which your Wii uses in order to connect.

Reactions: newo

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
(frowns in playstation, as while they will stay on playstation, the servers still aren't active unlike xbox)
omg I love your signature. xD
Okay, on topic... I believe that half of these servers have been online for some time, and were never disconnected to begin with. @ShadowOne333 , you really need to do more research next time before you post an article. Activision kept the servers online, and were about to pull the plug on the servers at one point, but then Microsoft made backwards compatibility a thing in XBONEs and XBSX/S, and decided to keep the relevant servers online. In other words, most of these were never shut down to begin with.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg I love your signature. xD
Okay, on topic... I believe that half of these servers have been online for some time, and were never disconnected to begin with. @ShadowOne333 , you really need to do more research next time before you post an article. Activision kept the servers online, and were about to pull the plug on the servers at one point, but then Microsoft made backwards compatibility a thing in XBONEs and XBSX/S, and decided to keep the relevant servers online. In other words, most of these were never shut down to begin with.
I didn't mean shut down, I just meant kinda... Empty, still active, but not much

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played MW2 (Not the 2022 garbage) yesterday and had a blast. I’m straight trash at it now, but it’s leagues better than the recent titles.

I never played MW2 because I quit playing CoD multiplayer after 4 until Advanced Warfare arrived but the recent Modern Warfares are not "garbage".

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I never played MW2 because I quit playing CoD multiplayer after 4 until Advanced Warfare arrived but the recent Modern Warfares are not "garbage".
That’s your opinion. Mine is that they belong in a dumpster and set on fire.

Reactions: Guacaholey

EskiM0JOJ0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is gold still required to play COD online on the 360? I heard gold is getting phased out in favor of game pass, so if the servers are being revived I'm curious if a payment will be necessary (highly likely).

Reactions: vstar950

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto