Microsoft and PlayStation sign binding agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation

cod xbx ps.JPG

One of the major concerns from Sony amidst Microsoft's proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard was that its competitor might keep the popular Call of Duty franchise exclusive to Xbox systems. But after Microsoft has recently won the case against the merger from going forward, Phil Spencer has announced in a tweet that they will keep the game on PlayStation systems.

"We are pleased to announce that Microsoft and @playstation have signed a binding agreement to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation following the acquisition of Activision Blizzard," Spencer's tweet reads. "We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games."

While the two companies have a binding agreement, it is not clear if this is for a specified period and whether CoD will eventually become an Xbox-exclusive. However, this new arrangement appears to bring the disagreements between Sony and Microsoft on this issue to a close.

:arrow: SOURCE

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Microsoft will still release Activision games on Playstation to save face with regulators. This probably won't be the last time Microsoft has to deal with them, as they'll probably try to buy more companies.

Reactions: HellGhast

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People FR thought COD was gonna be MS exclusive :rofl: As a PlayStation fan I couldn't be happier Activation-Blizzard is under Microsoft now. Maybe they'll fix up the dumpster fire that is Overwatch 2!
Post automatically merged:

MS should have said sure, we'll keep COD multiplat when you put GOW on Xbox.
Ironically enough GOW is on a Microsoft platform already, and so are a lot of Playstation "exclusives"

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People FR thought COD was gonna be MS exclusive :rofl: As a PlayStation fan I couldn't be happier Activation-Blizzard is under Microsoft now.
I don't think anyone here believed that. Because, you know, Microsoft spent a year and a half offering a 10 year contract to have COD on PS5/4?

Reactions: Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
MS should have said sure, we'll keep COD multiplat when you put GOW on Xbox.

MS are the ones facing government scrutiny over an acquisition, not Sony.

I doubt they would be doing these various agreements if they were allowed to buy it without question.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so that means ms originally want COD only on xbox?
MS is about making money so CoD only on Xbox would be kind of pointless considering there's also PC and PlayStation.

Did I forget Nintendo? No, that console is just somewhat irrelevant for FPS/TPS games. Nintendo has to be the one to keep their own console going unlike PS/Xbox who have solid multiplatform support.

Amazing news, can't wait for them to not support updates on Playstation
Does Microsoft hate $$$? I think you know the answer to that.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the while, Activision blizzard has been reusing the same doom 3 engine since original CoD 4, allowed it to balloon in size and release with less content each year. Hell, they straight up stopped bothering with a campaign altogether at the height of the loot box push; it was only passable because the campaigns after 4 were increasingly awful. It's what happens when the team that worked on that piece either dissolved or left the studio(s).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the while, Activision blizzard has been reusing the same doom 3 engine since original CoD 4, allowed it to balloon in size and release with less content each year. Hell, they straight up stopped bothering with a campaign altogether at the height of the loot box push; it was only passable because the campaigns after 4 were increasingly awful. It's what happens when the team that worked on that piece either dissolved or left the studio(s).
What, CoD 4 used the Doom 3 engine? Wow, never knew that.

Makes me want to play CoD 4 again (and wow, navigating through the missions and Chernobyl if I recall correctly was spectacular).

Anyway, I bought Doom 3 on Steam so whenever I have time I'll play it. Also been meaning to finish CT Special Forces, but that's a long game (and the mission I've to go through relies on being very timed shots or else it's over). Plus, also Desperados Wanted Dead or Alive. 😆

God dang days only have 24hrs. lol

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Starfield looks almost as boring as CoD, but you'll have to buy a PC or Xbox if you want to experience it in all its 30 FPS "glory" early on.

Payback for us PlayStation owners for loosing Bethesda games is when they release hot garbage of a game like Redfall.

30 Fps belongs to Ps3 & X-360 era, pathetic for a next gen console like Series-X capable of 4K-120, VRR, 120Hz_Dolby_Vision for gaming to only do 30fps, Lmfao.

My bet's on Microsoft releasing Bethesda games two or three years later on PS5 though, no point in losing out on that revenue altogether.
They'll be doing us a massive favor, y'all know best way to play Bethesda games is to wait a year or so, that way most of the bugs will be patched out, remember Skyrim on Ps3 or New Vegas on launch, lol.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They'll be doing us a massive favor, y'all know best way to play Bethesda games is to wait a year or so, that way most of the bugs will be patched out, remember Skyrim on Ps3 or New Vegas on launch, lol.
Bethesda rarely finishes their own games, they expect the modding community to do it for them. After reviewers gave 480p, 20 FPS TotK perfect scores, however, I fully expect they'll give Starfield a pass on all its many launch issues too.

Reactions: HellGhast

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Bethesda rarely finishes their own games, they expect the modding community to do it for them. After reviewers gave 480p, 20 FPS TotK perfect scores, however, I fully expect they'll give Starfield a pass on all its many launch issues too.
You got that right, it's the modding community who usually end up salvaging the Elder Scrolls games...then Bethesda reaps the rewards by re-releasing the game multiple times across multiple generations ala Skyrim's lifespan from Ps3 to Ps4 to Ps-VR...have they released a Ps5 re-master yet?

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MS is about making money so CoD only on Xbox would be kind of pointless considering there's also PC and PlayStation.

Did I forget Nintendo? No, that console is just somewhat irrelevant for FPS/TPS games. Nintendo has to be the one to keep their own console going unlike PS/Xbox who have solid multiplatform support.

Does Microsoft hate $$$? I think you know the answer to that.

If it's flat out about money then why wouldn't Nintenndo port all their games to other platforms? The same reasons Sony has exclusives and MS wanted COD to be exclusive: Building their console to be #1. Millions of PS only owners would have bought Xbox just to play COD, now they don't have to.

I don't care about COD myself.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If it's flat out about money then why wouldn't Nintenndo port all their games to other platforms?
Bigger profit margins on selling the equivalent of PS3 hardware and software. The only reason I can think of for not porting their games to PC by now is that they're afraid they won't even be able to live up to emulation's performance/level of detail.

The same reasons Sony has exclusives and MS wanted COD to be exclusive
Sony only seems to have timed exclusives now, and Microsoft was offering Sony a ten-year agreement for CoD from the get-go. This really was just a case of Sony throwing a tantrum for no good reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto