"Call of Duty" servers for the 360-era games have been fixed, some with 100k+ players online

multi-e1592505156923.jpg

Gamers that played during the 7th generation of video game consoles (which included the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii), would most likely remember the craze that was Call of Duty back in the day. With the chaotic matches and a good variety of online multiplayer modes in Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2, to the Black Ops series that are still on-going today, the experience that was playing an online match in any of those titles was one for the ages, with all the mom-calling by 5 year olds included of course.

Sadly, the servers for many of the titles previous to the 8 generation of consoles were offline for quite some years, leaving only the most recent titles to be playable online. However, due to the whole discussion and on-going arrangements regarding Microsoft acquiring Activision, it seems like one of the involved parties in the merger have fixed the servers, and players wanting to relive their beloved days of getting roasted by kiddos can do so right now.

Titles such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2 & 3, haven't confirmed if 1 works), Black Ops 1 & 2 can be played online back again thanks to the server fixes (with many people have citing it's thanks to Microsoft pushing for a fix to the servers instead of Activision, but it remains to be confirmed). The games can be played on the original Xbox 360, but they can also be played on Xbox One consoles and through the latest Xbox Series consoles as well through their classics service, though some players have been experiencing input delays when playing through the Series consoles.

Almost all of the CoD titles are currently seeing thousands and thousands of players online, with the least amount being around 8k to 10k for titles like Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3, to the incredible number of 70k up to above 100k players online for Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1, respectively.

It's likely that Microsoft is re-enabling these servers ahead of their Activision merger and in preparation of said games appearing on their Game Pass service, but it's all speculation at the moment.
If you have that soft spot for the older CoD titles that the newers ones just cannot match, be sure to jump right back into these titles to relive those great moments from back in the early 2010's right now!

:arrow: Source

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I've played so much BO1 over the past couple of days. The trash-talking, the nostalgia... its all there, just like the glory days, and I'm so happy.
Honestly, this is something society has been in dire need of, uncensored and unfiltered chat in games. The censorship of chat (and everything, really) has made so many people so weak and brittle, and I'm glad it's back to as it was because it means that either someone has to learn to take the monumental flaming at times, or just learn to leave if they can't handle it. The reason we have such a chronically weak generation of people these days, is because we don't put them through enough lessons and adversity, as society actually should.

This is only but a good thing, in every way.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft employee: "Maybe we should remaster titles they actually play."
Boss: "Nah, just keep spending money on servers."
Honestly, this is better than yet another remaster/remake. :)

If it ain't broke, you know the rest.
Is gold still required to play COD online on the 360? I heard gold is getting phased out in favor of game pass, so if the servers are being revived I'm curious if a payment will be necessary (highly likely).
Hah, you think MS would let users play online for free? 😆

XBLG is becoming GamePass Core in September although I'm guessing on the 360 it remains as Gold.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
During an extremely turbulent and difficult time in my life, my uncle would play Black Ops 2 Zombies with me every night. I wasn't good at cooking, so I'd make scrambled eggs or grilled cheese sandwiches for us, and hog the living room from 10 PM to 1 AM. I'd love to go back and play some of that stuff again.

Reactions: adamsef

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this is better than yet another remaster/remake. :)

If it ain't broke, you know the rest.

Hah, you think MS would let users play online for free? 😆

XBLG is becoming GamePass Core in September although I'm guessing on the 360 it remains as Gold.
I'd disagree with it being better, if things aren't revamped it would reduce sale numbers on consoles which are doing what they can to hold onto a breath of air as is with portable PC machines and Microsoft being more dominant these days. It's better to let the old die sometimes than constantly trying to hug onto it when it's life span is over.

What I wouldn't mind seeing actually is a all in one multiplayer online mode with cod 4 - bloops 3 remake of maps.

Last edited by K3Nv2,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'd disagree with it being better, if things aren't revamped it would reduce sale numbers on consoles which are doing what they can to hold onto a breath of air as is with portable PC machines and Microsoft being more dominant these days. It's better to let the old die sometimes than constantly trying to hug onto it when it's life span is over.
Consoles have never truly been in direct competition with PC though, and that hasn't changed with the introduction of portable PCs either. When it comes to software, a sale is a sale. Sony and Microsoft will keep selling hardware even if at a loss, and Nintendo fans will always have low expectations in that regard.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when Microsoft would use their mighty old ban hammer on gamers that used their xbox 360 to use online modes of their xbox OG games after shutting them down, but it still worked on the 360.

I wonder if it be either
MS using it to add them back after buying Activision out, all these old titles likely to be ported to the switch, so they'll need to make its old servers run best as possible.....

MS either adding it back out of the goodness of their heart. To say to the world we are doing something good.

When we all know end of the day the only goal was to throw billions buying out one of the worlds most popular studios, in order to own its games and make them exclusives in a bid to win a childish console war.

Seems desperate really, Microsoft doesn't care about the gamers, they care more for console sales and being able to say to Sony ha ha we win, we finally out sell the PlayStation.

Yea sure, but you had to cheat and buy out a studio because you lack the ability to come up with your own fresh ideas and your own game titles that gamers want to actually buy.

I would laugh my arse off if the sell outs behind CoD re branded and came up with something new and better then CoD became the next MoH..... then dead.

And MS be sat there wondering WTF went wrong, nice stock pile of past games they ruined.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems desperate really, Microsoft doesn't care about the gamers, they care more for console sales and being able to say to Sony ha ha we win, we finally out sell the PlayStation.
There's no chance in hell Series X/S outsells PS5, and Microsoft already knows that. Their strategy is legitimately multi-platform, and likely more reliant on sales of their games on Windows PC (Steam) than their own console.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
There's no chance in hell Series X/S outsells PS5, and Microsoft already knows that. Their strategy is legitimately multi-platform, and likely more reliant on sales of their games on Windows PC (Steam) than their own console.
Well, we are at a very interesting point. Three competitors not really competing.
Nintendo doing whatever.
Sony being the exclusive powerhouse.
Microsoft being a gamebox with ample choice, opting to unify platforms.

Cool times, indeed. And I like that all three are winning.

Reactions: Xzi

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft brings back COD servers yet they shut down all the old Halo servers back in January
to be fair, MCC exists, there's no cod equivalent
they were trying to sell people the same game over and over
"it's all the same game over and over again"
>they change the formula so it's different, AW/BO3/IW/BO4
"this is too different it's garbage" *massive fan outrage*

SolidSonicTH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when Microsoft would use their mighty old ban hammer on gamers that used their xbox 360 to use online modes of their xbox OG games after shutting them down, but it still worked on the 360.

I wonder if it be either
MS using it to add them back after buying Activision out, all these old titles likely to be ported to the switch, so they'll need to make its old servers run best as possible.....

MS either adding it back out of the goodness of their heart. To say to the world we are doing something good.

When we all know end of the day the only goal was to throw billions buying out one of the worlds most popular studios, in order to own its games and make them exclusives in a bid to win a childish console war.

Yea sure, but you had to cheat and buy out a studio because you lack the ability to come up with your own fresh ideas and your own game titles that gamers want to actually buy.

I would laugh my arse off if the sell outs behind CoD re branded and came up with something new and better then CoD became the next MoH..... then dead.

And MS be sat there wondering WTF went wrong, nice stock pile of past games they ruined.

Well if you're going to be THAT cynical just find a way to play indie games on Linux for the rest of time, I guess.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool times, indeed. And I like that all three are winning.
Eh...

Microsoft is focused on Xbox/PC/Cloud gaming and that's great for gamers.

Sony now ports their exclusives to PC so more gamers can enjoy their games.

Nintendo... If it weren't for themselves, their own console wouldn't survive as multiplat games have to be downgraded in order to function.

At some point Nintendo will start making official PC ports of their games and that's when their outdated consoles die.

That said, are they winning? Financially, yes, of course. And Sony/Nintendo ought to thank Microsoft for the idea of charging people to play online or else we'd still have free online play on PlayStation/Nintendo.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I wonder if it be either

I take it you're one of those multiverse spidermen.....

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"it's all the same game over and over again"
>they change the formula so it's different, AW/BO3/IW/BO4
"this is too different it's garbage" *massive fan outrage*
Well if they wanted to play a better shooter, they'd switch to Apex Legends. They want the same crap, they just want to simultaneously be tricked into thinking it's somehow different.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if they wanted to play a better shooter, they'd switch to Apex Legends. They want the same crap, they just want to simultaneously be tricked into thinking it's somehow different.
apex legends is a battle royale, and also a mobility shooter, every other call of duty that isn't the shortlived "futuristic" era of cod is not a battle royale, spex legends isn't going to satisfy the arena shooter players (the majority of the fanbase)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
apex legends is a battle royale, and also a mobility shooter, every other call of duty that isn't the shortlived "futuristic" era of cod is not a battle royale, spex legends isn't going to satisfy the arena shooter players (the majority of the fanbase)
They added arena play like two years ago now, and it definitely feels better than playing CoD multiplayer. I suppose that's a given with how much mobility characters have in Apex, though.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They added arena play like two years ago now, and it definitely feels better than playing CoD multiplayer. I suppose that's a given with how much mobility characters have in Apex, though.
I didn't know that since I avoid battle Royale like the plague, so fair enough

but a mobility shooter like apex would still not satisfy the people who don't like the "advanced" era of cod, like AW/IW/BO3/BO4, the kind of people who deliberately stick to stuff like MW2 and BO2

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto