Hacking Buy exploitable O3ds/2ds or sky3ds+ ?

What is better sky3ds+ or exploitable 2ds

• Sky3ds+

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Exploitable 2ds

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stupidly made an offer for 100 euros for a 4.3.0-9 (supposedly) red 3ds xl on e-bay and the seller accepted! (wonder if i can wait until monday to pay him(since i'm pretty sure i'll get my money there)...
-9 may give your problems I would get confirmation if you can use that since the browser version seems weird.

D

Deleted-236924

-9 may give your problems I would get confirmation if you can use that since the browser version seems weird.
4.3.0-9 just means it was on 4.2.0-9 and was updated to 4.3 via cartridge update.
As CFW installation works fine from 2.x and up and works on 4.2 (I believe GW downgrade downgrades you to 4.2 specifically) I assume the -9 browser from 4.2 should work fine for that purpose.
It's just the -10 browser that seems to be weird with web exploits for some reason, everyone who had problems with them were on -10, haven't heard from people having trouble with -9 browser though.
That being said even if the browser wasn't good, there should be alternatives such as doing everything through MSET (GW Launcher via browser exploit worked fine for me on 6.2.0-10U even though I was on a -10 browser, rxTools didn't) installed through a DS mode flashcard (if browser doesn't like browser exploits then I don't think browser exploit could be used to install MSET.)

D

Deleted-236924

Yeah, if you have that, then I think you should be fine.
You only need to access GW Launcher once, to backup sysnand and set up emunand. After that you can install rxTools mset through the ds flashcard installer and you -should- be good to go from there.
rxTools can be strange and there can be some incompatibilities depending on 3DS firmware and entry point used (for example, when I was on 6.2.0-10U, once I entered DS Profile to access the exploit, it would stay on a black screen when starting up rxTools instead of starting up emunand normally. Except if I held L while rxTools started up to bring up the menu, then manually started rxMode emunand, it worked. Not sure why.
Once I was updated to 9.2.0-20 I was able to use menuhax to boot to rxMode emunand just fine.

I still recommend trying the web exploits, because if you encounter problems with MSET you might have different results using web exploits.

To update sysnand to 9.2, I was told to use rxTools 2.5.2 for devmode, however I was using the Sept. 28 nightly of rxTools 3.0, devmode was working, and I updated from 6.2.0-10 to 9.2.0-20 just fine. I would recommend using rxTools 2.5.2 regardless because it is more stable, wouldn't want you to end up bricking the 3DS if devmode in 9/28 build isn't stable enough (I admittedly took a risk when I used 9/28 nightly's dev mode to update, but it worked out.)

Last edited by ,

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah...I have a big list of things I'm afraid i might screw up: bricking when updating to 9.2, updating sysnand instead of emunand, loosing access to my NNID/digital games after system transfer, same but after unlinking emunand and sysnand...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If I buy a o3DS XL new in the store. Will it have <=9.2 for sure?
Yes, guaranteed. The Yokai Watch bundle is a 2DS so don't worry about that. The highest I ever saw was the Smash Bros limited edition 3DS XL which came with 8.1. They are definitely not going to manufacture any more 3DS/3DS XLs so you'll be safe. Since there's no 'new' 2DS, they might still manufature more of those (as seen with the Yokai Watch bundle).

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I suggest o3ds as well, reasons already said on page 1. Definition of cfw, complete because it has everything you need. Of course sky3ds+ isnt bad but i'd suggest if you have n3ds with firmware above 9.3+.

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a o3ds that i have with firmware 9.9...and I already have an offer for a red 3ds xl with a low firmware...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's a o3ds that i have with firmware 9.9...and I already have an offer for a red 3ds xl with a low firmware...
What he is saying is that Sky+ is only really worthwhile for an N3DS on > 9.2 since exploitable N3DS are actually hard to find. Since exploitable old 3DS/2DS are very easy to find, it is not worthwhile to use the Sky+, better to just get an exploitable console (which you've done).

Reactions: Deleted-236924
D

Deleted-236924

Yes, guaranteed. The Yokai Watch bundle is a 2DS so don't worry about that. The highest I ever saw was the Smash Bros limited edition 3DS XL which came with 8.1. They are definitely not going to manufacture any more 3DS/3DS XLs so you'll be safe. Since there's no 'new' 2DS, they might still manufature more of those (as seen with the Yokai Watch bundle).
I think they do manufacture more of the 2DS, there's been someone reporting that they bought a Tomodachi Life bundle 2DS in Europe somewhere and it came with 9.9
They returned it and bought another one, which was also on 9.9
It can't have been pre-owned, updated and then system formatted before being returned to the store and sold again as brand new, because that would have removed the pre-installed Tomodachi Life.
So buyers of a 2DS should still be careful, I think if they can see a copyright date of 2014 on the box though it -should- be safe.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think they do manufacture more of the 2DS, there's been someone reporting that they bought a Tomodachi Life bundle 2DS in Europe somewhere and it came with 9.9
They returned it and bought another one, which was also on 9.9
It can't have been pre-owned, updated and then system formatted before being returned to the store and sold again as brand new, because that would have removed the pre-installed Tomodachi Life.
So buyers of a 2DS should still be careful, I think if they can see a copyright date of 2014 on the box though it -should- be safe.
I think what happened with the Tomodachi Life bundle, is it was formatted when the current update was 9.9. Then the user redownloaded the game from the eShop (if no NNID was associated with the console, the game will still be linked). Then it sat around the shop for while until the current update was 10.3, until that user bought it. There's no way a brand new Tomodachi Life bundle will be 9.9.

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder if i really should believe people on e-bay when they tell me the firmware of their 3DS...I mean I directly made an offer for 100 (was sold at 95 first because of dog bite marks on the surface) , once the owner told me the firmware was low...

Do people lie about the firmware of their 3ds or am i being paranoid?

Last edited by Amapola62,
D

Deleted-236924

I think what happened with the Tomodachi Life bundle, is it was formatted when the current update was 9.9. Then the user redownloaded the game from the eShop (if no NNID was associated with the console, the game will still be linked). Then it sat around the shop for while until the current update was 10.3, until that user bought it. There's no way a brand new Tomodachi Life bundle will be 9.9.
It booted up on the system set up. The only way for that to happen is, 1) it was pre-owned and its previous owner did a system format before returning it, or 2) it was brand new directly from Nintendo.
In the first case, the pre-installed Tomodachi Life wouldn't show up on the home menu after the initial setup, having been uninstalled by the system format, but if it is brand new, pre-installed titles will show up on home menu after the initial setup.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/unboxed-new-2ds-tomodachi-bundle-was-9-9e.404694/

Last edited by ,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It booted up on the system set up. The only way for that to happen is, 1) it was pre-owned and its previous owner did a system format before returning it, or 2) it was brand new directly from Nintendo.
In the first case, the pre-installed Tomodachi Life wouldn't show up on the home menu after the initial setup, having been uninstalled by the system format, but if it is brand new, pre-installed titles will show up on home menu after the initial setup.

Oh that's a good point - did he say he had to do the initial set up when he received it? That's pretty weird :-/ What happens if it is formatted with the SD card out? It is a shame, I had three Omega Ruby 2DS consoles a while back that I could have experimented on, but they are all sold now. If I get another console with a pre-installed game I'll experiment. But by then no one will remember about this Tomodachi Life console lol.

D

Deleted-236924

If it is formatted with the SD card out, then even if you put it back in, it will create a new folder in sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/ with a new unique ID.

Actually if you have a <9.2 system, it might still be possible to do some experimenting by getting a legit .cia
I wonder... if you system format, does the 3DS create its new folder in sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/ only after you finish the initial set up? Or does it create one right away.
Because then someone could possibly start it up, power off, take the SD card out, move the contents of the old Nintendo 3DS folder into the new one that was just created, and see if it will start up and the game will show up on home menu after the initial setup. Pre-installed content is tied to the console itself so it should be properly signed and have the proper tickets regardless.

I could try it on my own, but it would be a hassle because I have my XL all set up on 9.2 with my rxTools, it would be a pain to backup stuff on SD card, format sysnand, have to reinstall menuhax, all that stuff, meh. I mean I guess I could try. I already have all the US legit .cias installed to sysnand so it wouldn't be too difficult for me to try.

Edit: Okay, I just tried it, it doesn't make the folder in sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/ until after the initial setup, so I don't think there's a way to have pre-installed games show up on the home menu after the initial setup unless it came straight from Nintendo on 9.9

Now I need to re-install those games on sysnand which will be a pain because of how long it takes, but it was worth it to try that out. Needed to know for sure.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Quantumcat

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if i really should believe people on e-bay when they tell me the firmware of their 3DS...I mean I directly made an offer for 100 (was sold at 95 first because of dog bite marks on the surface) , once the owner told me the firmware was low...

Do people lie about the firmware of their 3ds or am i being paranoid?
lol people lie about all sorts of things . . . it is not unusual for one to worry about an ebay transaction i assume if "the cake firmware is a lie" you can report it to ebay . . . but i am not sure how much good that will do in that situation
edit: if the fw version was in the description then the console in question must be in the same fw version otherwise it is fraud on the part of the seller again though i have no idea how exactly ebay deals with that situation

Last edited by wormdood,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
lol people lie about all sorts of things . . . it is not unusual for one to worry about an ebay transaction i assume if "the cake firmware is a lie" you can report it to ebay . . . but i am not sure how much good that will do in that situation
edit: if the fw version was in the description then the console in question must be in the same fw version otherwise it is fraud on the part of the seller again though i have no idea how exactly ebay deals with that situation
You would open an "item not as described" case with PayPal, and assuming you won (they would investigate for a while) you would get a refund + your postage cost back to the seller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...