Hacking Emulation Others So much help needed: Trade, Transfer, R4, CFW, etc (Pokémon)

javipro_04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
1. PRESENTATION

Hi, I'd like to present my longest post ever on Reddit. And yep, it's about Pokémon.
Please, if you have knowledge about completing a Living Pokédex (HOME), getting diplomas, trading Pokémon, transfering Pokémon, R4 card Pokémon games for DS and 3DS and/or CFW 3DS (or DS / DS Lite) I'm begging you to DM me and help me out. Because this post is basically a lot of questions pack that I'm struggling with and I like someone to clarify them at last. And of course, if while you are reading this you notice anything I misunderstood I encourage you to correct me.
That said, I'd like to say that I'm not a big Pokémon fan. In fact, I have just played RedFire using a emulator for mobile gears ago and a little of Blue recently, again with emulators. This latter time, though, I started from that old game because I had a goal: complete a Living Pokédex that I had seen someone complete on YouTube. But eventually that idea became a new one. And that idea is...

2. GOALS

I'm willing to do a couple of achievements:

2.1. FIRST GOAL
Play every single Pokémon game from Core Series in order to get every Diploma and so completing the Dex. (Gen1-2: Normal Dex / Gen3-6: Regional and National Dex / Gen8: Certificate).

2.2. SECOND GOAL
A more ambitious goal: A Living HOME Pokédex (mind-struggling about Mythical ones).
I know it can be hard, but it worths a try. Now, I'd like to show you what I own to start this self-imposed challenge.

3. EQUIPMENT

My unhacked current consoles: 2 3DSs, 1 DS Lite, 1 Nintendo Switch.

My legal current games: VC Gen1-2 games, Gen 3 GBA cartridge games.

My likely next games: Real legal copies from Gen4-Gen7 or ROMs(*) (?)

My available services: Pokémon Bank, (HOME in the future).

4. BASES

Before the question corner, I'd like to make a difference between these terms since I had a bad time on my own learning it.

4.1. TRANSFER
The action of sending forward Pokémon to newer games (NOT being able to retrieve them back once transfered).
On the legal path, transfering Pokémon it's doable following this logic:

- Gen1 Virtual Console versions: to Gen7 via Pokémon Bank.
- Gen2 Virtual Console versions: to Gen7 via Pokémon Bank.
- [Gen1 to Gen2: Not possible. Gen2 to Gen3: Not possible. (...easily)].
- Gen3 to Gen4 can be done by Pal Park using a DS or DS Lite with both a GBA cartridge and a DS cartridge game inside at the same time in order to "migrate" your Gen3 Pokémon to Gen4.
- Gen4 to Gen5: PokéTransfer (one console with a Gen4 game and another 3DS with a Gen5 game inside).
- Gen5 to Gen6 or Gen7: Pokémon Bank.
- Gen6 to Gen7: Pokémon Bank.
- Gen7 to Gen8: Pokémon Bank --> HOME (then, they can be stored at HOME, right?)

4.2. TRADING
The action of exchanging 1 Pokémon for another one. It could be with yourself, between 2 friends, strangers, among internet users, etc.
On the legal path, trading Pokémon it's doable following this logic:

- Gen1 (VC): Among Gen1 games via Local Trading. Requirements: two 3DS systems and each one needs to possess a game (don't know if it could be the same; i.e. Red-Red/Blue-Blue/Yellow-Yellow)
- Gen2 (VC): Among Gen2 games via Time Capsule. Requirements: two 3DS's and two versions of the games.
- Gen1-Gen2 (VC): Time Capsule allows trading between these Gens. Requirements: two 3DS's and two versions of the games. Note: there are limitations doing this trading for logical reasons.
- Gen3: Only possible with two GBAs and either a Link Cable or a Wireless system.
- From Gen4 to Gen5: you need two DSs or 3DSs and two versions of the games.
- From Gen6 to Gen7: you need two two 3DSs and two versions of the games.
- Gen8: I think you need two Switches and two versions of the games as well. (I plan on buying legally Gen8 games for my Switch).

5. QUESTIONS CORNER

Main doubt: Where to start and How.

5.1. HOW (LEGALLY, ILLEGALLY OR A MIX?)

Legal, ROMs, CFW 3DS or a mix of all of them? That’s the question.

Transfer Questions
*1. If I decide not to choose the legal path, what could I do? Go for DS and 3DS ROMs in order to play them on my 3DS (in that case which R4 card compatible with both consoles should I pick?) or hack my 3DS into CFW (which I think I could play every DS and 3DS Pokémon Game with)? (I’m thinking as I’m writing this that I will need one 3DS more xd)

(these DS or 3DS ROMs are copies from the original games?)

2. Could I also download DS ROMs, send them to DS R4 to play them on my DS Lite? Or is it better one of the two options I stated in the first question?

3. Are R4 Pokémon games able to transfer Pokémon via Pokémon Bank? (i.e. transfer Gen5 (Black) to Gen6 (X). Is a CFW 3DS able to trade via Pokémon Bank as well? (of course, Gen3-5 cannot be transferred, since they do not use Bank).

4. Basically all these questions have the same base: does either one option (R4) or the other (CFW) do transfers the same way as legal way does (PokéBank)?

Trading Questions
5. Either R4 games option or CFW 3DS option does Pokémon trading the same local trade way as legal form does (having two consoles and two games)? No incompatibility issue?

6. Could I trade between a non legal version of a game with a legal one (either digital or physical)?

7. If it’s CFW 3DS, should I need two hacked consoles in order to trade? Does the origin of the two games matter (if they are legal copies or not) and/or can be different to each other?

8. The other trading methods and features apart from Local Wireless would work in R4 or CFW? I’m talking about Global Trade System (GTS), Negotiation Trade, Player Search System, Wonder Trade, etc.

Long story short: or I pick 1) the legal/expensive way or 2) the pirate/cheap way (and whether I'll be able to have compatibility with illegal and legal game copies or not, and how).

5.2. WHERE

Which game should I start with in order to go the fastest way? (I’m talking about the HOME Living Dex challenge, not the Diploma challenge).

6. MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

6.1. Nintendo eShop shutting down in 2023

9. What will be the repercussions of this? Should I be worry? What games should I download from here before the deadline? Are there ROMs for these? As always, would they function exactly the same as a legal copy?

6.2. Spin-offs or Side Games in order to get mythical mons

10. Just a list or guide on how to catch them and send them to core series games. As always, could I transfer them from and/or to a R4 game or CFW?

6.3. Pokémon HOME legality checker

11. Any Pokémon transferred from a R4 ROM or CFW 3DS to HOME via Bank will pass the check of legality?

7. FAREWELL

If you read until here thank you so much. As I stated before, if you can help me out I’d appreciate it A LOT. Feel free to contact me in private if you wish, or in the comments below. I really, really need someone to do all of these clarifications, give me advice and guide me a little bit.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm honestly not sure about how R4 cards and ROMs factor into the legality of transferred Pokemon but I can answer a couple of questions here:
5.2. WHERE

Which game should I start with in order to go the fastest way? (I’m talking about the HOME Living Dex challenge, not the Diploma challenge).
Between X/Y, ORAS, and Ultra Sun/Moon, you should be able to get most things with a short chain to HOME.
6.1. Nintendo eShop shutting down in 2023

9. What will be the repercussions of this? Should I be worry? What games should I download from here before the deadline? Are there ROMs for these? As always, would they function exactly the same as a legal copy?
Repercussions are that any games you haven't bought will not be purchasable through the legal, official means of the eshop anymore. However, yes, there are ROMs for everything. As for function, not sure as far as transferring goes but I imagine they would? I'll leave that to more knowledgeable tempers.
6.3. Pokémon HOME legality checker

11. Any Pokémon transferred from a R4 ROM or CFW 3DS to HOME via Bank will pass the check of legality?
Again, I'm not sure on this, but I think you need to transfer the Pokemon to a legitimate copy of the game, and then you can move them to Bank.

Reactions: TinchoX

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, Pokémons edited with PKHeX can be transferred to Pokémon Home without issues, as long as you run the legality check plugin if it says that it's "not legal".

Reactions: Maximumbeans

G25900

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a hacked 3DS you can use PKSM to transfer between gens 3/4/5/6/7 right there on your 3DS using Roms installed on it, between that and the VC gen 1/2 games you can transfer everything to gen 7/bank then to Home all on one device.

As long as the games aren't modified all Pokémon caught will be considered legit by bank/home and transfer up fine, there's really no difference what you play it on really if it's running the same as if it was on a cartridge.

Bank will also read a cia installed gen 6/7 game fine as long as it's a legit dump, it's no different to having a digital copy of the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1