Buy exploitable O3ds/2ds or sky3ds+ ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Amapola62, Dec 5, 2015.

?

What is better sky3ds+ or exploitable 2ds

1. Sky3ds+

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Exploitable 2ds

24 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. Amapola62
    OP

Amapola62 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    I already have a 9.9 original 3ds, should I keep it and go for a sky3ds+, or buy a 2ds from Amazon/local super market or a second hand o3ds/o3dsXl with exploitable firmware from e-bay, set-up rxtools, system tranfer the original one to the emunand of the new one and then sell the old one?

What is the cheaper option? Which one gives me more options? I don't want to spend more than 120euros whatever option I choose.

Last edited by Amapola62, Dec 5, 2015

2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Buy an exploitable O3DS XL, that is quite nice and better than the O3DS (opinions of course).
    Sell your O3DS.
    Install rxTools.

It will give you a lot more options, like the following that are not possible with sky3ds: playing modified/translated games, homebrew, out of region games, eshop games, vc games and gba games, etc.
    It will potentially cost you the same or less if you buy an exploitable O3DS xl and sell your O3DS, compared to buying an expensive Sky3DS.

Ammako likes this.
  3. wiiNinja

wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2009
    United States
    If all you're going to do is play backups, then I would say Sky3DS+. This is probably the simpler and cheaper option. In the US the Sky3DS+ costs less than a new 2DS retail. Now if you're like me, who likes to tinker and experiment with things that the modding/hacking community puts out, then an exploitable 2DS is definitely the way to go.

4. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    - I want to play romhacks, fan translations, out of region games...
    I'd like a way to keep convenient access to HANS/hax 2.5 with menuhax while getting access to the NNID features of the console (accessible only now with 10.3)...

5. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Exploitable 2DS is the only way you'll get both of those. (Or exploitable 3DS/XL or even N3DS but you are only considering the 2DS)

6. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Well I have cubic ninja if i want to update to 10.3 and still keep homebrew...as for considering only the 2ds it's because i still haven't managed to not get outbidded for a o3dsxl on ebay...I don't think i'll get one of those for 120euros...And a 2ds is cheaper when bought new than a 3dsxl and almost always (apart from some exceptions) guaranteed to be exploitable when bought new...

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Either way, <=9.2 system has more to offer than Sky3DS+ does, so I would recommend it over the Sky any day, and it shouldn't be too difficult to find one in stores for 120 or less, I'd hope.
    At least brand new 2DS are $129.99 here in stores, and that is canadian dollars, which is a bit less than 90 euro according to conversion rates, so as long as the stores don't charge a lot more than the ones over here, should be able to find that.

8. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Indeed, there's even a big advert for 2ds bundles in the supermarket in the mall i go through on my way to/from the train station and these are sold for 88,90euros or a price close to that...

I'm personnally tempted to go for that one : http://www.amazon.fr/Console-Ninten...es&ie=UTF8&qid=1449325083&sr=1-5&keywords=2ds (blue + game I don't own) or that one : http://www.amazon.fr/Console-Ninten...es&ie=UTF8&qid=1449325083&sr=1-7&keywords=2ds (also blue (favorite color), cheaper but there's no stock for the moment)...

9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Also, I just realized you were talking about selling the old 3DS once you got an exploitable one and transferred it to your emunand. In that case it would be even cheaper in the end than buying a Sky3DS+, and it has a lot more to offer.
    Overall no reason to pick the Sky when a <=9.2 system costs just about the same or less, and much less if you also sell your previous system.

10. honyo29

honyo29 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2014
    Indonesia
    full control. anyday. if you get to choose.
    sky+ is when you have no other choice than being on 9.3+

11. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Well I already have a 3ds on 9.9...:P It's just that I am ready to spend some money to get a 9.2 or lower one...but not more than 120 euros...

12. honyo29

honyo29 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2014
    Indonesia
    i don't think sky+ would cost more than an exploitable 2ds (no official price yet, just placeholder on every seller, afaik) but you might (want to) pay for eshop games and dlc in the future if you take sky+ path. soooo cfw is cheapest path at the and of the day.

13. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    First buy O3ds, but later get that sky3ds(+) used when it is old hat.

14. Seita

Seita GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    That goes without saying. Exploitable 3dsxl and you're guaranteed to play all games even online without hassle or fear that your flashcart becomes useless in the future.
    You can think of Sky3ds+ only if you have N3ds and wanna enjoy 3D and slightly better graphics.

Last edited by Seita, Dec 5, 2015
  15. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    I'd say exploitable 3DS for CFW too since Sky3DS+ only allows pure piracy and nothing more, while CFW allows it too and more.

I'm just wondering something. I read everywhere that <9.3 systems are really easy to find (if we forget about the New). Is it true ?
    I mean, are all O3DS under 9.2 (except maybe limited editions and stuff) ? Are all O3DS XL under 9.2 (same) ? Are all 2DS under 9.2 (...) ?

Because I have a friend who would like to play MHX and he updated up to 10.3 -.-
    Meanwhile I can annoy him by showing my progress on MHX :P

16. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Good question...i'm searching for one and i have a price limit so...It makes things harder...

17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    You said in your original post that you would be selling your previous 3DS once you system transferred it to your emunand, so even if you had to spend 150 euro on a <=9.2 3DS, you would only need to sell the old one for 30 euro to be within your 120 euro limit (but I'm sure you'd be able to sell it for more.)

Or can you literally not afford spending more than 120 even if you were to sell the old one afterwards? As in, only have 120 euro and wouldnt be able to afford more?
    Do you know anyone who would be able to lend you some money so you could get a <=9.2 3DS? Then once you have it set up, you transfer your previous 3DS to the emunand, sell it, then reimburse the person who lent you money?

It really shouldn't be a problem either way, you said you know of stores nearby, or even just Amazon, that sell exploitable 2DSes for like 89 euros so I don't know why you are even debating it still. Unless you absolutely want a 3DS and not a 2DS, which is perfectly understandable.

18. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    Well I'm supposed to get paid in a few days so i could spend more, the problem is that my family thinks that consoles are for kids, and would prefer me not too spend too much money on that since for them it's a stupid/useless purchase...
    I'd rather buy that behind their back for as less as possible if I can...:shy: Because once it arrives home (if i order it online), they'll ask me how much it cost...and I'll get critized, if the price is too high above 100euros...

19. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    If your profile is right, you are 28, who are they to tell you what you can or cannot spend your money on.
    But that's just my opinion... guess if you live with them then you have to abide by their rules.

You said that there are bundles on sale for ~89 in the mall you go through on your way to the train station, so depending on how often you go there, probably best to get one there rather than buy on Amazon and wait for it to arrive.

20. Amapola62
    OP

Oct 25, 2015
    France
    stupidly made an offer for 100 euros for a 4.3.0-9 (supposedly) red 3ds xl on e-bay and the seller accepted! (wonder if i can wait until monday to pay him(since i'm pretty sure i'll get my money there)...

I go to another town for professional training during the week and go back to my parents for the week end...