Hacking Bricked Wii - Softmodded, Installed theme then blank screen!

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Hi,

Been searching for hours for help..

I have a Wii 3.2 with the following

Homebrew channel
Darkcorp 1.1 installed
Then I attempted to install a 3.2 theme using Mymenufy and now I get nothing but a blank screen.

I've tried a few things but I don't understand what I'm doing nor can I find any help... tried posting on another Wii forum but got no response. Looked at heaps of youtube videos, can't get anything to work. Also to add I don't think if have bootmii as boot2 or priiloader.

Sonic0509

Sometimes I'm Maryushi3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Wii drive flashes when turning wii on then you have bootmii installed
wink.gif

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
sonic0509 said:
If Wii drive flashes when turning wii on then you have bootmii installed
wink.gif

It flashes one time when I press the on button, that good? Can I find guides to load bootmii then?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Check to see if you have priiloader
Check to see if you have boot2 bootmii
Check to see if savemiifrii loads the recovery menu

You should be able to fix it by reinstalling the system iOS and system menu from bootmii or priiloader, or updating from a retail disc via savemiifrii.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for priiloader: power on the wii (on the console), then immediately hold reset. priiloader menu will load if installed...

for bootmii: if the drive light gives you two quick flashes when you power on the wii, then you have bootmii/boot2...if so, get modmii (link in my sig), install modmii, download bootmii files from modmii (the 'c' option on the main menu...then 'BM', 'your region', 'O', 'Y', 'Y'....then move the contents of the 'COPY_TO_SD' folder to your SD card (such that you have the 'bootmii' folder in the root of your card)...power on wii...

if you have either of bootmii/boot2 or priiloader, then we should be able to get into HBC, where you can reinstall your System Menu and fix your issues.

if you have neither of these, then the best situation is you have a NAND backup stored somewhere which you'll need to send with your wii to DeadlyFoez so he can reflash your NAND....

without either and without a NAND backup, you've got a brick....

EDIT: forgot about savemiifrii (previous post)...requires a GC controller which you need to disassemble so you can hold down all 4 d-pad buttons simultaneously....

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Ok, so both tricks didn't work. So only options left are savemefrii (device? or free way?) and using retail game? is that the case?

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just get a gc controller and do savemiifrii. When the recovery menu loads, insert a retail disc with a sm update 3.3-4.2. Then softmod your wii again.

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
mauifrog said:
Just get a gc controller and do savemiifrii. When the recovery menu loads, insert a retail disc with a sm update 3.3-4.2. Then softmod your wii again.

Ok, so what so you're saying is hold down all 4 directional buttons which will load a recovery menu and use the retail game (I can get my hands on Super Smash Bros Brawl soon). But using Savemiifrii is holding down the 4 directional keys on the GC pad? I don't need the device or any extra software other than that? because it doesn't show me a version when I try, although I don't have the game yet.

I can't any files for savemiifrii other than a device although I've seen a youtube video that shows savemiifrii without the device but it doesn't say anything about files nor can I find them.

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
giantpune said:
i think SSBB has the 3.1 update on it.

So that means using the game to update firmware wouldn't be an option, although there's an exploit in the game that allows me to recover system menu through SD card. Also how would I even get the game to boot?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FuZzCasT said:
giantpune said:

So that means using the game to update firmware wouldn't be an option, although there's an exploit in the game that allows me to recover system menu through SD card. Also how would I even get the game to boot?
you're not getting it...to use the exploit in SSBB, you need to be able to boot the game...you can't boot your wii right now....the trick won't boot the game, it'll boot recovery mode, which will allow you to update.
you need a game which has an update partition on it which is > than your current version...this will trigger the update and the overwriting of the junk SM you installed.

here's a list of games which identify which SM update is present on the disc....wish it was prettier, but it ain't.... according to the list, SSBB does indeed have 3.1, which is of no use to you.

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
brausm08 said:
FuZzCasT said:
giantpune said:

you're not getting it...to use the exploit in SSBB, you need to be able to boot the game...you can't boot your wii right now....the trick won't boot the game, it'll boot recovery mode, which will allow you to update.
you need a game which has an update partition on it which is > than your current version...this will trigger the update and the overwriting of the junk SM you installed.

here's a list of games which identify which SM update is present on the disc....wish it was prettier, but it ain't.... according to the list, SSBB does indeed have 3.1, which is of no use to you.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll get my hands on a game with a more recent firmware. Thank hell I only got 3.2 firmware. I'll be sure to install bootmii and priiloader to make sure this doesn't happen again.

One last question;

http://wum.talevas.com/?page=dev

On this page, it has different region firmwares to, is it safe to assume firmware updates will also be on PAL versions of these games? Guess the only other worry if this isn't the case then maybe it might be a lower firmware? please confirm. Once I get the game it'll automatically boot in to recovery mode if I press down all 4 directional keys on GC pad or it will do it automatically?

Update: uh...heh...guess not. Just gotta be careful then.

FuZzCasT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
*bump*

*DELETES TEXT*

UPDATE I GOT IT WORKING!

It hasn't asked to update, it just went straight to the main menu. I just had to make sure I had the 4 directional keys pressed down before I turned the console on. Then after it display the firmware version I popped the game in. Now it's back to normal!

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Well done, savemiifree saved your ass. Go careful though, what sys menu you on now? may not be much room for the same to happen again.
My advice, stop playing with custom menus, they kill wiis. If you really want to, learn how to use sneek and do it in a completely safe environment.
And get rid of darkcrap!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN