Inherited red wii with a theme on it. Can i use modmii to mod like normal?

Marcomez18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm very new to this all. I just wanna get started modding this red wii that i inherited. It looks to have a particular theme on it that l've tracked down to be the DarkWii Red Theme created by the Wii Theme Team. I wanted to know, if i go along with the ModMii process and just chose the original theme when setting up, would it brick my console? I've tried factory resetting the Wii but the darkWii red theme still remains. There is no sd card in the wii and there are no channels like homebrew. Any help is greatly appreciated

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The first time I installed a Wii Theme wasin 2009 with PimpMyWii, and if I'm not mistaken, it had the option to remove themes... which I did after installing a Black Theme and getting bored of it quickly.

Some people advices against using PimpMyWii and to be honest I don't have many memories of using it aside of those two occasions. So be careful if you want to check PimpMyWii for Theme removal.

The only way a Theme can brick your Wii is by being a bad theme with wrong dimensions, formats, and whatnot, and installing themes for different regions (a PAL theme installed in a NTSC console).

On the other hand I've never utilized ModMii, but I'm sure it's author will actually let you know if such feature is implemented.

Last edited by JuanMena,

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It's totally safe to use modmii if u have a theme installed from before

Note that if you're telling it your wii is a virgin and that u want the same old boring original white theme, modmii will assume this is already installed. If you are changing system menu versions (I. E. Switching from 4.1 to 4.3 or vice versa, etc) then the end result will be a stock theme. Otherwise after completing the process u will still have a red theme, which can be restored to default afterwards if you want

Marcomez18

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first time I installed a Wii Theme wasin 2009 with PimpMyWii, and if I'm not mistaken, it had the option to remove themes... which I did after installing a Black Theme and getting bored of it quickly.

Some people advices against using PimpMyWii and to be honest I don't have many memories of using it aside of those two occasions. So ve careful if you want to check PimpMyWii for Theme removal.

The only way a Theme can brick your Wii is by being a bad theme with wrong dimensions, formats, and whatnot, and installing themee for different regions (a PAL theme installed in a NTSC console).

On the other hand I've never utilized ModMii, but I'm sure it's author will actually let you know if such feature is implemented.
Do you think the previous owner used PimpMyWii? I’m not familiar with that. Does it create a channel/ use homebrew or anything. The wii is practically unmodded but just has a theme. No unusual channels or an sd card

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do you think the previous owner used PimpMyWii? I’m not familiar with that. Does it create a channel/ use homebrew or anything. The wii is practically unmodded but just has a theme. No unusual channels or an sd card
No, like I said, PimpMyWii is something most people avoid nowadays because iT bRiKcS wEeEs when is very likely the themes they're installin are bad in the first place.

Unmodded... I don't think so... probably someone deleted the Homebrew Channel and the Homebrew Channel save from the system, but as far as unmodding it, is not likely given that it has a red theme still on it. The only way a Wii can be unmodeed is by reinstalling the entire Wii system. Please do not attempt to reinstall the entire Wii system and for the love of whoever you believe, do not install Wii Dev Menu.wad.

Have you checked the most logical step? That is, Googling how to uninstall a custom theme?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you think the previous owner used PimpMyWii? I’m not familiar with that.
It doesn't really matter - the Wii is a very modular system, meaning that you can mix and non-match a lot of things (so are, at least to some degree, most other consoles - which is why I have a beef with "guides" that tell you their way as a dogma and have close to 0 educational value)...

in other words it's perfectly possible, though risky and tedious, to install a theme without using the conventional method of HBC+Priiloader+a dedicated homebrew - and as you're proving it's quite easy to keep it installed afterwards (in fact, if you performed a factory reset, you've semi-removed all non-system titles which the HBC is!)

You don't really "remove" a theme, just clean install the Wii Menu and [re]install Priiloader if you want it (...or just reinstall the Wii Menu's resource file, which is what a ready-to-be-installed .csm theme really is before being renamed to the matching .app "title content")

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found you can download the original theme with modmii load it up go to option 3 system menu themes and get the one called original app and install it with mymenufymod you can also get this from modmii option 2

Reactions: XFlak and Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up