Hacking Bricked vWii by installing IOS 80... because I'm an idiot

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
depends your knowledge in hacking consoles.
did you dump your vWii keys at least?
someone could recover a fully deleted vWii NAND by injecting someone else files, editing few settings, and running a python program on PC to fix the files rights.
I don't have the right step in mind right now, but it's possible to an extend. lot of things to do, and it's forbidden to share NAND or files here.

PlugoffGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, so yes, I'm a dumbass, I didn't listen and installed ios 80 for the wii, not the vwii, and now my wii is bricked :(. I am now lost and have no idea what to do but I know most likely there is nothing I can do. I've attempted to find other solutions such as ftpiiu everywhere and install ios 80 again but to no avail. I currently possess no backups because, again, I'm a dumbass and thought this shit couldn't happen to me (Which it obviously did). If anyone one of you beautiful people could bless me with some type of solution I shall give myself to you..... or just warmly thank you :).

I love all of you, my beauties

EDIT: I have fixed my vwii! Here's a small tutorial on how I did it.

1. Install Homebrew on the Wii U
2. Get ftpiiu anywhere in order to access your files, you have to use mocha, chdc, or haxchi
3. Find a nand backup, if it is a .bin file then extract it in order to access the files inside.
4. Get filezilla or similar software in order to gain access to the storage of the wii u through ftpiiu anywhere
5. Get ftpiiu anywhere up and running, make sure you can modify the files
6. Take the title and shared1 files in the slccmpt01 folder on your backup and transfer them over, replace everything inside those folders

And it should all be fixed

i am very happy you got this done, i wish i could get this done too, i did everything like you except i cannot open the slccmpt01 folder and i do not have a back up to replace anything with.. i have been doing great with wiiu and vWii hacking .. and since i got these wii wads in and bricked my vWii i have been so lost.. i simply do not know what to do .. i get to step 5 fine.. but thats all i have ftp everywhere opened and connected to pc and the folders aren't opening..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am very happy you got this done, i wish i could get this done too, i did everything like you except i cannot open the slccmpt01 folder and i do not have a back up to replace anything with.. i have been doing great with wiiu and vWii hacking .. and since i got these wii wads in and bricked my vWii i have been so lost.. i simply do not know what to do .. i get to step 5 fine.. but thats all i have ftp everywhere opened and connected to pc and the folders aren't opening..

I don't believe the slcmpt and the NAND dump are the same thing. I noticed that there's a slight size difference with one being like a KB larger than the other. you can open the NAND dump, at least the slc-mpt, with eyekey's NAND tools, the slcmpt dump, and the otp.bin. there are a lot of .app's in there, not sure how to restore it though.

Last edited by godreborn,

Waseem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try using HBL2HBC to boot directly into the homebrew channel and install a normal vIOS80.
HBL2HBC doesn’t work and instead I get a black tv and game pad screen

I am so desperate to fix my bricked vWii (iOS 80 and RiiConnect24)
How do I fix it ?!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hbl2hbc is just a way to autoboot HBC AFTER launching vWii.
if vWii is bricked, you can't launch it, and can't go to hbc either. even though HBC uses IOS58, it seems it tried to reload to 80 first before switching the loaded channel.

to fix your IOS80, you need a clean good signed IOS80 that you should have backuped when following a proper vWii softmod guide (not youtube).
Then, inject the wad manager into a WiiU WiiVC channel, install on WiiU using wup installer.
it'll launch vWii using IOS255 instead of IOS80. from the wad manager, reinstall your clean IOS80 to vWii.

check here :
IOS Brick, vWii not working :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-vwii-unbrick-guide-by-garyodernichts.528329/#vWii-not-working
just install IOS80 instead of IOS58 (DO NOT FIX IOS58 if not broken, you'll make things worse!)

some users reported having issues with injected channel. if you can't make it work, you still have the FTP solution, explained below on the same guide too.

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro