Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah - can wait , and just wanted to say thanks in advance for putting more work into this wiigator - its appreciated by all.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
The result of the test is: The most games are not working with the new version (doesn't even start). There seems to be problems, because I replaced the DIP module completely. It is not worth to use this version.

Speed of the drive is still 3x, but the read is optimized.

There is your anwser to all of your questions people the loader does not work beside two games there is an issue with the DIP module that is not letting games load for a reason the reason is the address we need to find a smaller address that is the only way to make the loader work

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
Hello,

I need testers for the next version. Here are some notes:
- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- The load time is faster, but not fast enough for video.
- Fixed strange bugs like the Mario-Kart second race problem.
- dvdx is not required anymore.
- DVDs need still to be converted.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

Who have enough games for a good test?
I can test for you I have Smash Brothers Burned I can give that a test run and some other games Tales of Symphonia Knight of Ratatosk,Zelda Twilight Princess, I have other games if your curious please let me know sign me up if you need to send me for testing I do have games burned and ready to play let's hope Smash Brothers Works with this version. If you do send me this here is my e-mail address I have plenty to test out. Here is my e-mail address [email protected] PM Me before sending it out so that I know I can test.

Here is my list
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy - Hopefully that glitch you fixed in the begining
Mario Party 8
Mario Kart Wii
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Mario strikers Charged
Zelda Twilight Princess US & JPN
Super Smash Bros. Brawl US & JPN
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Mario Kart Wii
Tales of Symphonia Knight of Ratatosk

there is more I just have to find them I have so many burned I went crazy and burned alot of games hope you fixed Wario Land Shake It I have that burned too.

Motoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cooler89 said:
Guys there is no way to make this work until wiigator finds something the address i cant find it smaller and plz dont ask anymore for testing the launcher doesnt work at all like wiigator said we are not going to use that version

Are you going to recode the IOS to try and shrink its size?

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motoko said:
Cooler89 said:
Guys there is no way to make this work until wiigator finds something the address i cant find it smaller and plz dont ask anymore for testing the launcher doesnt work at all like wiigator said we are not going to use that version

Are you going to recode the IOS to try and shrink its size?

No no its the DIP module and i tried to find out and we need a smaller address to make it work and wiigator will find a way for sure to fix that issue i just looked in the source to see if i could help but no use we will have to make the ISO smaller or find the smaller address we will see what wiigators does next but from my point i cant do anything from here

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
May i suggest as well that any beta test versions get the e-mail address or userid encoded into them so if it is leaked that the person will be known ? Would also cut down on anyone trying to leak it if their name was embedded on any beta tests.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djtaz said:
May i suggest as well that any beta test versions get the e-mail address or userid encoded into them so if it is leaked that the person will be known ? Would also cut down on anyone trying to leak it if their name was embedded on any beta tests.

Thats not a bad idea. I don't know if there are any unique hardware identifiers in the wii, but you could also lock it to be used on a single particular console.
Ahman who wrote irshell for psp did a similar thing to keep beta versions of irshell leaking.

ppc_gba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
offtopic, but i just looked up new wii games coming out on the 21st and saw 6:
Wii Music
Carnival Games: Mini Golf
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2
Ten Pin Alley 2
High School Musical 3: Senior Year DANCE
Backyard Football 09

you better not mean the 2nd to last (can't even bring myself to name it again), *shudders*.

on another note, wii music doesn't require the motionplus, right?

edit: hartleysg: you mean like using the unique console encryption key? you will still need to send him your key/ID/whatever and then the IOS could still be hacked to work on another console if it's just doing a simple comparison. if it's actually encrypted that will only slow it down/cause more problems. remember that this a more like a driver (the IOS i mean) so regular protections which might work better applied to an elf file wouldn't help here (since we already have a good backup launcher app+src from wiigator).

Leon2457

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A Shame to hear that things aren't going so well with the Beta Testers :/

I hope the problem gets fixed soon everyone ^^ keep up the good work!

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ppc_gba said:
edit: hartleysg: you mean like using the unique console encryption key? you will still need to send him your key/ID/whatever and then the IOS could still be hacked to work on another console if it's just doing a simple comparison. if it's actually encrypted that will only slow it down/cause more problems. remember that this a more like a driver (the IOS i mean) so regular protections which might work better applied to an elf file wouldn't help here (since we already have a good backup launcher app+src from wiigator).

ok, so the ios is whats actually being changed. yes, encryption would be slowing it down. I assumed the bulk of new code was in the loader itself, *the hacked gecko*
offtopic: the wii uses c and asm right? are there any sites that give technical information about wii homebrew? something along the lines of gbadev.org and ps2dev.org.

Whtrvn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
thanks for the update wiigator thats good news on the upcoming update.. was starting to think u got offed or something
tongue.gif

oh and about *unsigned char *dvdbuf = (unsigned char *)0x133FF800; /* HACK: Ugly.... very ugly... */". since that address works for most games, would it be possibe to make a modifiable memory area to use, since the cheat system works could wen ot just put a new hex value as a cheat, and it would only load on games that needed it. that is if there isnt something easier...

nit3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
Hello,

I need testers for the next version. Here are some notes:
- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- The load time is faster, but not fast enough for video.
- Fixed strange bugs like the Mario-Kart second race problem.
- dvdx is not required anymore.
- DVDs need still to be converted.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

Who have enough games for a good test?

I can test it with close to 40 games. And I can guarantee no leakage if you can trust me even with my low post number.

edit: nevermind...just read the previous posts and see is not working at the moment. Still glad to help when it gets sorted out.

crazyguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Maybe it would be a good idea to open a development post?

Where we just could speak about the development of the Launcher and not about the testing stuff, flames,...

Just an idea
wink.gif

Whtrvn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
please dont post Beta testing requests in the thread, use PM.

wiigator,
I think you should put a little GBATemp.net presence in the next version just in the about screen or something seeing as its open source, it would probably bring together some more talented coders from the nether regions of the net. or do you have an official release site already. I know this wasnt the original release thread, but that other site was pretty lame at giving ur thread the boot, when just a week before the admin was bragging how he had waninkokos pre leak beta.

and to crzyguy above. I have been trying to focus this thread in that direction, actually it says that in the 1st post now that i remember it...... some ppl are jsut to lazy and come in and post dumb things without even reading a single post, jsut ignore them they will learn eventually.

scognito

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I found an usuable address! Try 0xDEADBEEF
wink.gif

Anyway, *if* the cheat system uses an address that could be usable for the dvdbuf, would be nice to use it...who cares about cheats...

crazyguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hmm... 2 thoughts:

1.)

unsigned char *dvdbuf = (unsigned char *)0x133FF800; /* HACK: Ugly.... very ugly... */

The adress seems to be OK because of the wii memory map:

Start--------------End---------------Size
0x10000000-----0x13FFFFFF------64 MB MEM2 Memory (Cached)

2.)

Another thing I thought about if the read cycle will read to few data that would be a source of the speed problems but:

#define SECTOR_SIZE 0x800

That means per cycle the DVD reads one sector - a DVD sector are 2048 Bytes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD )
so the sector size 0x800 (which is hex) is equal 2048 Bytes.

So I think this are not directly causing the problems.

Any ideas?

Does anyone knows how the original dvd read process looks like? Is always only 1 sector read?

I just dont understand how the dvdbuf works. Will it be creared everytime a sector is read and a new one will be read or does it grow? I just see a startadress but no endadress...

Maybe someone out there who knows more (and I am sure there is one)...

Treacha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im not sure on this, but i thought the drive keeps filling the buffer until it reached is max and then flushes it so it starts rebuilding.. althought i never really had the patience to continue learning c so i might be totally wrong
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Up to you.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    smug sonic time lmao
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Chronic The HempHog
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtapU5nI6G4 +1