Hacking Backup Launcher by Wiigator

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
well good luck men keep trying, as you can see everybody is hungry of the new Launcher, so hurry up before someone try to eat you, lol
biggrin.gif

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kk guys let me explain to you guys something with the new loader there file there was a file called CIOS Installer that installs 249 but you already have an old version of the 249 you need to uninstall that and install the new one that wiigator provided to make it work and plus games arent working at all they get stuck at no sd codes found and plus if you are trying to use the 0.1 version with the cios installer provided you will get an error DVD identity failed

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cooler89 said:
Kk guys let me explain to you guys something with the new loader there file there was a file called CIOS Installer that installs 249 but you already have an old version of the 249 you need to uninstall that and install the new one that wiigator provided to make it work and plus games arent working at all they get stuck at no sd codes found and plus if you are trying to use the 0.1 version with the cios installer provided you will get an error DVD identity failed
I'll give it a try, hopefully that will change some stuff but I doubt it will..I thought it was a cios error since everything was working until I used the installer. So fixing the installer should help make it work right?

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu245 said:
Cooler89 said:
I'll give it a try, hopefully that will change some stuff but I doubt it will..I thought it was a cios error since everything was working until I used the installer. So fixing the installer should help make it work right?

even with installing CIOS correctly the games will not work like wiigator said some games will not pass the screen where it says no sd codes found so there is no use of testing it until wiigator finds a way to fix it

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cooler89 said:
Raiyu245 said:
Cooler89 said:

even with installing CIOS correctly the games will not work like wiigator said some games will not pass the screen where it says no sd codes found so there is no use of testing it until wiigator finds a way to fix it
Yeah I kind of figured as much..

WiiGator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The DIP module from waninkoko causes some games to crash, because of the following line:
Code:
unsigned char *dvdbuf = (unsigned char *)0x133FF800; /* HACK: Ugly.... very ugly... */

This address is also used by IOS IPC. So a game can crash if IOS IPC and the DIP module uses the same address. This happens when the second race of Mario Kart is loaded.

When you don't replace the DIP module completely, you don't have a free memory address for use. DMA is only possible in the shared memory area. The problem is you can't transfer it directly to the target memory address, because the size must be a multiple of 0x800. So you could overwrite something. Also you can only specify offsets which are aligned to 0x800. The command for reading normal games doesn't have these restrictions.
So the result is, that you need to replace the DIP module completely or patch it and reuse the DIP cache.
We need to find a address which is smaller than 0x133FF800 which is only used once. Maybe we can make the IOS heap smaller.

Note: You can't use the old backup launcher, because there is no "/dev/do" device. There is just the normal "/dev/di" device.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
The DIP module from waninkoko causes some games to crash, because of the following line:
Code:
unsigned char *dvdbuf = (unsigned char *)0x133FF800; /* HACK: Ugly.... very ugly... */

This address is also used by IOS IPC. So a game can crash if IOS IPC and the DIP module uses the same address. This happens when the second race of Mario Kart is loaded.

When you don't replace the DIP module completely, you don't have a free memory address for use. DMA is only possible in the shared memory area. The problem is you can't transfer it directly to the target memory address, because the size must be a multiple of 0x800. So you could overwrite something. Also you can only specify offsets which are aligned to 0x800. The command for reading normal games doesn't have these restrictions.
So the result is, that you need to replace the DIP module completely or patch it and reuse the DIP cache.
We need to find a address which is smaller than 0x133FF800 which is only used once. Maybe we can make the IOS heap smaller.

Note: You can't use the old backup launcher, because there is no "/dev/do" device. There is just the normal "/dev/di" device.

Now i understand i will download the source and work on it see if i can find something and fix it will post soon if i find anything

houseonfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@WiiGator

I have a question about how the backup loader works..
Why is it that some games work and some don't? If there is access to playing the game, then why can't the Wii just boot the game as if it was a normal one?
Do you get what I'm asking?
If theres access to booting a game in general, then why doesn't it just boot any game?

And I would also like to take part in testing the next version. I have many games in NTSC and PAL games ready for testing.

Skyfallkavu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of 0.1, does anybody get the Wario Land game to work? I just get a black screen.

I hope it gets fixed eventually. I cant wait for 0.2.

Motoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Skyfallkavu said:
Speaking of 0.1, does anybody get the Wario Land game to work? I just get a black screen.

I hope it gets fixed eventually. I cant wait for 0.2.
please, your going to make my head explode, your the 100th person to ask about this f%$£ing game

Treacha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Woah

Nice to see they working on it hard again!
I wish i didn't gave up on coding that early, otherwise i might be able to help.. now i just need to sit her watch and look bah.. why cant this things come in javascript
tongue.gif
i can write that shit easy hahaha

Good luck WiiGator and everybody else working on it

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
Code:

An update cant find an address which is smaller then 0x133FF800 what wiigator said maybe we will have to make the IOS smaller

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator said:
Hello,

I need testers for the next version. Here are some notes:
- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- The load time is faster, but not fast enough for video.
- Fixed strange bugs like the Mario-Kart second race problem.
- dvdx is not required anymore.
- DVDs need still to be converted.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

Who have enough games for a good test?

I can test also have a chipped wii and nonchipped wii plenty of games to test currently using 0.1 launcher...... late post been
working alot at bbvideo

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiGator said:
Hello,

- The files are not for public release. Don't give the files to others. If anybody give it away, I will not release the source code, until it is finished. Public release will be later.
- The files should not brick your Wii. But in general before changing something in the NAND, you should dump your NAND and your keys (e.g. with xyzzy). You should also have the homebrew channel installed, so you have the ability to use SaveMii.
- I think it will not fix games, that doesn't start at all. This should fix bugs within games.

*edit*

sorry - just read down through the post and realised its not working properly yet.
If you do need someone else at any stage with a guarantee of no leakage from me id be glad to help with anything.

I already have a modded wii so im willing to wait on this to get sorted for as long as your willing to work on it , but if you need a hand testing at any stage i volinteer.

Cooler89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys there is no way to make this work until wiigator finds something the address i cant find it smaller and plz dont ask anymore for testing the launcher doesnt work at all like wiigator said we are not going to use that version

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I dont tell many people this but I am a Store Manager for Blockbuster and have access to alot of new games
that come in hell I am a big kid as they say...... I grew up on Video Games it's my thing/hobby So let's get down
to testing! thnx wiigator for your time...... when you guys find the correct or smaller address like you were sayin.....

Motoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
djtaz said:
WiiGator said:
Hello,

Just back now - ill throw my name down for a test as well if thats ok ?

wait for the fix, only 2 of my games worked, Mario Kart and Zak & Wiki

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea ps3 is a beast still to today compared to most "sticks"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you just want pi for emulation no point when Anbernic releases new shit every two seconds
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's really cool about Pi's tho is you can have multiple SD cards with different OS on each SD card and change from say a gaming machine to a full fledged pc if wanted
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus all bios are set up and usually includes at least 128gbs or 64
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but if your main goal is just to play n64 and GameCube you can save about $50 and have the portability option
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but on 2 monitors at 4k. Its just want you want really, to each they own.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For a kids aspect Anbernic would be the better option they'd probably melt over the price on a good 4k display
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For that texasroo guy, I'd recommend the Spell and speak as his first system.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So they buy a pi5 kit for about $150 and say a 28" 4k display probably looking around $400 total
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man cave, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea, I have frogger arcade cabinet that I gutted and put a Pi4 then Pi5 into, but it never gets played much anymore, should sell it. Even when the kids come over, they don't want to play on it, just the xbox. TMNT and Simpson's arcade is still so fun on it, esp w 2 players.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna check out the new Garfield looks like garbage
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Can't wait to see the new "stick" that can actually play Ps3 or 360 games. I know they are getting close.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Can't wait to see the new "stick" that can actually play Ps3 or 360 games. I know they are...