Atelier Ayesha will only have English voiceovers

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While I have an indifference towards the whole "sub vs dub" debate, I think it should be said that the diversity of VA's in either language is almost non existant. I mean would it kill these studios to deny crispin freeman or Jamieson Price a part in something they make? the lack of diversity is so bad that I find myself sometimes unable to become immersed in what I am playing and wishing for a "no audio" option so that I can imagine how the characters sound instead.

also... to use japanese audio they would need to repay the respective VA's for this localisation. maybe that is the reason?

Reactions: Celice

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The funny part here is that it's actually more expensive to dub games rather than sub them - it's an effort on the developer's side to release a game in your native tongue, not to mention that it's infinitely easier to play games that are dubbed rather than subbed.

If you want to hear japanese voices, buy the japanese version of the game. Oh, you don't know japanese? Well then why the heck would you want it in japanese in the first place? :huh:
Indeed. They could have done a LAZY JOB, just subbing it. But no, they're willing to put emglish VOICE ACTING for the localization. We should be pleased instead of always complaing and whining about why it is in a language we actually understand. And for the one who actually complained, plz if you think that by watching anime and playing japanese games you'll learn japanese, then omg you're wrong by a long shot.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When I watch anime I always check to see if the dub has good voiceovers, Then I do the same with japanese version. Then pick the most bearable.
Preferably i go with dubbed, coz you know. Its my language and I'd rather watch, than read and watch.
Code Geass is an example of a brilliantly dubbed anime.
But with games, fuck it I just use the English option. provided theres even an option for something else.
I play games for the story and enjoyment. Not the voices.
I'll take my Tidus Laughs in english. And be proud.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I like to listen to English audio while displaying Japanese subtitles even though I can't read Japanese. English subtitles are invariably poor in quality and just make the whole thing look stupid and unconvincing.

No problem with your sentiments but I do often turn on subtitles (usually French, German or Dutch) when watching a film in English. Granted they use the same alphabet and I like to keep up with or try learning them but it does not change what happens.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Localized by NIS?

Then there's no point to having the Japanese voices anyway. NIS does a solid job of dubbing. I love their Disgaea dubs. No reason to even listen to the Japanese voices unless you can then speak Japanese...and if you can, you have the game already.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aside from the rampant circle jerking that took off the first two pages... someone mentioned if anyone is actually against localization.

I am, at times, and it's contextual. Mostly dealing with whether the translation is overstepping its weight by modifying more than needs be, and unnecessarily to boot. The Fire Emblem series has gotten this flak since its first localization: several elements of no significance were changed, mostly being the names of items (not withstanding stat changes for difficulty lowering--which is a whole other topic). Because they're so minor, and that most people don't play the Japanese versions, no one really cares that the names were changed. But, some of these names are important, due to their backgrounds, where the names come from and the history, and mythology, that comes with. If a translator chooses to modify this name into something else, they invariably rip away this connection. We can't always know whether the writers intended to have such intricate or detailed connections with their choice of names, allusions, or text in general, but I'd rather one err on the side of caution, than go in and eschew in favor of new text.

I'd rather try and respect the original intentions of an author, of any means, because I don't find I, or anyone else, has the right to take their work and modify it in a commercial setting. On a small but very interesting turn, one could call localization plagiarizing, outside of copyrights/international trade. Private modifications--fan translations, romhacks, trainers, anything that includes modification without permission--I don't see a problem with. However, that doesn't mean fan translations should openly disregard their original text. But, the other side would often argue, that that is in fact what localization really is: adapting a text, not translating.

Alongside that, I can see, apart from crappy dubs that seem insincere with the context, that lip syncing in games is still horrible in terms of localization. Many times the voices do NOT sync, in my experience. But, that's hardly an arrow to pull, as the vanilla voices and animations often are jumpy and erratic too.

I suppose I'm more vested in interest in this sort of thing, because as a literature student, translations make a shit-ton of different in how the audience receives it. How to balance an objective and subjective response to text is a delicate matter, and often impossible to please one without displeasing the other. But that's no justification to throw out text altogether and just wing it. Again, the smallness of the text, at times, may make these comments seem overblown, but that's the wrong thought process altogether, as this isn't about the size or amount of text being altered. It's about text being altered in and of itself.

Reactions: Sean On Fire

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still a poor arguement against playing a game with english voice acting. If you like the series or the game or whatever, voice acting doesn't break the game one way or the other.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The funny part here is that it's actually more expensive to dub games than to sub them - it's an effort on the developer's side to release a game in your native tongue, not to mention that it's infinitely easier to play games that are dubbed rather than subbed.

If you want to hear japanese voices, buy the japanese version of the game. Oh, you don't know japanese? Well then why the heck would you want it in japanese in the first place? :huh:
By that logic, then why watch a French film if you don't speak French, heck why watch any foreign cinema if you don't know the language, oh Foxi, there's a thing called subtitles....have you heard of them?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By that logic, then why watch a French film if you don't speak French, heck why watch any foreign cinema if you don't know the language, oh Foxi, there's a thing called subtitles....have you heard of them?
Re-read my response - it was not about refraining from playing foreign games, it was about the insistance on a subbed version when a dubbed one is readily available which is illogical when you don't know the language you demand to hear. Moreover, games are not films - adding subtitles to them is a more complex process so the analogy you draw doesn't work very well.

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Re-read my response - it was not about refraining from playing foreign games, it was about the insistance on a subbed version when a dubbed one is readily available which is illogical when you don't know the language you demand to hear. Moreover, games are not films - adding subtitles to them is a more complex process so the analogy you draw doesn't work very well.
Well unlike the Japanese audio, the English dub will only be partial so Tecmo Koei is clearly cheating people, but they have since responded (well at least Europe) that they may bring dual audio to later Atelier games, which as I have said still will not make me purchase this overpriced game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, @salazarcosplay hi