How does VC Injection Work? What are the must-have titles from the eShop?

Speedy77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there!

I just bought a Wii U a couple months ago and have been absolutely loving it! I've been doing some research here-and-there about modifying it, as I love pushing a console like this to its limits.

I am however a stickler when it comes to finding the most "official" way to play games. Having said that, there are many titles that haven't been released on VC that I'd like to inject into an existing Wii U VC "shell".

My main question is, what official VC titles are seen as "must-have" titles in terms of VC injection compatibility? I've been a little confused and intimidated by the lack of documentation, specifically on DS titles. Though many of these titles work as shells, some of them function better than others from what I've heard? I've noticed that there's a ton of different games listed as the working shells for ROM injection, but most titles that need to be injected only have one shell listed. Surely there's more than just that one shell that functions with that title? I'd like to purchase as few VC titles as possible rather than the half dozen or so popular titles people have listed as compatible shells for various games. I mostly want to utilize injection for the Pokemon series (though I know Black/White won't work sadly). I'd like to inject ROMs for all the available VS consoles (DS, N64, SNES, etc.), I know most are compatible with all ROMs but info is a little foggy.

I was hoping to get these titles legitimately purchased on the eShop and ready for injection before the end of March when the eShop closes. It seems like most of the info out there on injection is set up so that if you have problems you can try to inject into another game, but obviously we won't have the luxury of purchasing other games from the eShop once April hits. If anyone has any advice or a "grocery list" of games to buy for each VC system that would maximize compatibility that would be great!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Speedy77,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're right: Infos are shady. The official compat list are horribly outdated and there is no new place holding all the informations.

I know there is some user who made a private list which should be way better than the lists here but sadly I forgot which user it was.

You do realise that the injectors are pirating the bases completely independent from eShop? There is no technical reason for you to buy any VC titles (but there might be a moralically reason, that's up to you).

That said your best bet would be to try all kind of combinations and make your own compat list. For this you need every official VC title available through.

Lastly keep in mind that DS VC runs like sh*t, even official titles, so you might not get happy with this. Many people own a Wii U and a 3DS for exactly this reason. For SNES you can't inject games needing RAM extension. N64 compat is pretty low, not much games rum there.
Anyway, all of this might get better soon, thanks to RetroArch getting ported to Aroma and SRLs (single rom loaders, IIRC @QuarkTheAwesome even plans kind of SRLs for RetroArch on Aroma. Take this with a grain of salt through as this talk was months ago, so my memory might be wrong).

Speedy77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right: Infos are shady. The official compat list are horribly outdated and there is no new place holding all the informations.

I know there is some user who made a private list which should be way better than the lists here but sadly I forgot which user it was.

You do realise that the injectors are pirating the bases completely independent from eShop? There is no technical reason for you to buy any VC titles (but there might be a moralically reason, that's up to you).

That said your best bet would be to try all kind of combinations and make your own compat list. For this you need every official VC title available through.

Lastly keep in mind that DS VC runs like sh*t, even official titles, so you might not get happy with this. Many people own a Wii U and a 3DS for exactly this reason. For SNES you can't inject games needing RAM extension. N64 compat is pretty low, not much games rum there.
Anyway, all of this might get better soon, thanks to RetroArch getting ported to Aroma and SRLs (single rom loaders, IIRC @QuarkTheAwesome even plans kind of SRLs for RetroArch on Aroma. Take this with a grain of salt through as this talk was months ago, so my memory might be wrong).
Thanks for the reply!

That seems to be what I'm gathering as well, more than likely I'm just going to purchase some of my favorites and hope that they work. As you mentioned there's other people working on some alternatives which is great news, ideally we wouldn't need to inject ROMs at all! I've seen the compatibility list where the user used Super Mario Bros DS as the base which seemed to work great, so that may be the route that I go.

Thanks again for the advice!

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can always use the good old loadiine for those DS games or download the ready injected games of your choice. Doing your own injection is fun and all but it'll get old real fast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's one bad nightmare