mosaic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
steirina said:
If we were going to use a shared document, I was thinking that we'd simply insert notes rather than deleting and replacing. That would be terrible to keep tack of.

I was actually thinking of the same thing.

Whatever the methodology we end up using, we WILL make it work.
smile.gif

welaeron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll have a look at it this week end, and see if I can install it, test it and maybe write a little doc on how to use it.
If we go with this kind of tool, we're going to need a server every beta tester can access. Does anyone have that? Maybe the one psyco is using for his blog?

wohdin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wow. This massive thing is getting a translation? How did I not hear about this earlier. FML 'OTL

I would have loved to beta this. I major in Linguistics, and it seems almost a given that it would have greatly helped with my Japanese... Oh well. snooze=lose. And I always seem to be late to these parties. I'm such a LOSER. 8{

Good luck with the betaing, ganbatte, hwaiting, etc.! I patiently await its release! I've been looking forward to playing this since... well, since I found out that Nobuo Uematsu was involved.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Building on the forum idea, you could have each beta tester have their own thread where they document everything they find in the first post where the rest of the thread is for the discussion of anything in the first post? Just an idea to make the forum idea a bit more feasible.

kaizer3000

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
swt...
cant wait for the complete release of this translation...played with the original game n luved it!!

steirina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Leamonde: If each of us had an individual thread, wouldn't that mean that psycoblaster would have tons more to sift through than he normally would? And probably repeats of information too. >

Cavane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welaeron said:
I'll have a look at it this week end, and see if I can install it, test it and maybe write a little doc on how to use it.
If we go with this kind of tool, we're going to need a server every beta tester can access. Does anyone have that? Maybe the one psyco is using for his blog?

Did you get to have a look at that software?

psycoblaster

Divine
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was busy for the last few days (even right now) so I just want to see if you guys can make up an idea and I'll just use whatever works for you guys... I have a working patcher (updated version of my buggy KH patcher) compiled so I'll just need a good way to organize this beta testing... with 5 people google docs wasn't much of a trouble. But with 20 people... scrolling in the docs gets slow when too much lines exist.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you split it up into multiple spreadsheets or separate documents it's not too bad. Google Docs isn't very good for keeping track of changes, though... a bug tracker or a wiki would make it a lot easier to see exactly what has changed since the last time you visited.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I personally believe that a bug tracker wi8ll be the most useful. It will allow Psycoblaster to mark finished mistakes, as well as letting beta testers see what mistakes have already been pointed out.

steirina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, the only thing I can think of is the entire game script being dumped where we can edit at our leisure. I can't imagine dragging pen and paper with me while I'm going through the game, since it would be a pain to find the bits in the game script we mark for correction. Whether it would be the bug tracker or a set of shared google documents [as suggested by DarthNemesis], I think both are feasible. Although, with that kind of system, we'd probably need a different scheme for reporting bugs, which can probably be done in a thread somewhere or just through PMs.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think our best bet is going to end up being a combination of 2 or more of these ideas because one alone doesn't quite cover it all....although the wiki is probably the most versatile for our purposes.

Cavane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a forum would work best for bugs, and a wiki for script editing. A public document would tend to get too chaotic with this many people. Alternatively, you could break up the script into several parts and assign a smaller number of people to work on each section. For example, split it into quarters and have 5 people work on each quarter.

monaug5

Trophies
Website
www.infiniteworkers.co.uk
XP
Country
Cavane said:
I think a forum would work best for bugs, and a wiki for script editing. A public document would tend to get too chaotic with this many people. Alternatively, you could break up the script into several parts and assign a smaller number of people to work on each section. For example, split it into quarters and have 5 people work on each quarter.

You make a highly valid point.

Leamonde.Halcyon

6x9=42
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The forum for bugs and wiki for script editing sounds like a good idea but I don't think the split it up among people would work all that well...unless...

Well here's a thought...assign 1/4 of the script per 5 testers, have them work on their parts until the 5 agree it's "done" and then give each group of 5 a different 1/4 of the script to proof read, essentially, with a fresh set of eyes and double check each others work, with psycoblaster doing one final go over?

Cavane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a rotation then? I can get behind that. Everyone still looks at the whole thing, but you don't have so many cooks in the kitchen at one time.

welaeron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not so sure about the rotation...
If we split the script in several groups, the one in charge of the later part won't be able to test until the end of the game.
Furthermore, since every one of us wanted to play this game, I suppose we will all play the game to the end
wink.gif

And let's not forget that everyone (well, most of us anyway) has a life! Out of 20 testers, although we are all motivated, we won't be able to give the same amount of time on this project. It would be dumb to restrict the ones with most free time to a small part of the script.

Anyway, I took a look on another bugreport (Mantis), and seems to be complete and simple enough to use.
@ Psycho: It uses PHP script and MySQL database like Wordpress, so there should be no problem to install on the same server.

psycoblaster

Divine
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. Dividing into sections is NOT a possible solution.
2. If the idea is using a wiki/tracker etc, I need some recommendations... Something easy to use.
All 20 + 2 people need to be able to do this without problems, and not everyone is a techy.

Cavane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We haven't even started testing yet, as you may have noticed. He can't say how long that'll take. Hopefully before the end of the year, maybe early next year would be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Laughing face + 2
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    finally, a zelda game where you play as zelda
    it only took 40 years
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @The Real Jdbye, They finally got the naming convention right.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now lets rename all of the old Zelda games to The Legend of Link. Lol.
    they kinda did that with zelda 2 at least it had link in the title
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssDGBTssUI