Apple announces iPad Air

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, yeah, that folding thing's been done already - Sony Xperia Tablet P? Mind you, that's not a foldable screen, but the end result is pretty much the same. As for the stylus, capacitive touchscreens aren't really friends with standard styluses, but I suppose they could bundle a capacitive screen compatible stylus with their device.

In any case, I suppose you're right, but I wouldn't call a "folding tablet" a tablet anymore due to the differences in the form-factor and adding a stylus wouldn't really be "innovation", rather just adding an additional accessory to the kit. I would also be careful with using the term "innovation" with those two as both solutions already exist and have existed for a while. :P

Windows Tablet PC's have shipped for a decade with "stylus's" and capacitive touchscreens. They use a WACOM active digitizer overlay. The Surface Pro and Samsung Note tablets have one. Unlike a dummy stylus, you can put things like buttons and erasers on an active digitizer.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait... 64-Bit? Is this an ARM processor or some sort of lower tier x86 or what?

I mean, if were talking x86, no way it can be THAT thin right?
It's ARM. Anyway x86 is almost there, thanks to Intel's Bay Trail. Next year, or two years at most, x86 will pretty much have the same thermals (and more power) of ARM.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I liked it. Thinner, lighter, better.
I see people talking about innovation but
I don't know what they were expecting,
Surely it could be better specs-wise,
but is it really needed?
I see few apps that would have any benefit from 64 bit architecture and most only for jailbroken devices.

There is so much apple hate in this topic, If you don't like it, don't buy it.
If you preffer Android tablets, that's fine, but saying the product is shit means that
you either don't know what you're talking about or you're just a fanboy butthurt.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The definition for "retina desplay" (which is a marketing term BTW) is that you can't see the individual pixels from the recommended viewing distance. Not that it has to be a certain PPI.
Well, then the iPad Air is definitely not Retina.

The iPad uses AArch64, not x86-64 nor x32 (not that it means anything). I still doubt that having 64-bit on mobile devices makes a difference at this point though (other than Apple being able to use it to draw in unsuspecting customers).
I'm aware; I was making an analogy.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I liked it. Thinner, lighter, better.....
but is it really needed?
I see few apps that would have any benefit from 64 bit architecture and most only for jailbroken devices..
because Google just released a new revision of the Nexus 7 and Apple had to answer to it.
As we all know...Google in the past few months has definitely become a direct competitor to Apple's iPad, as Google taken quite a liking to Apple's marketing campaign (the few words spoken with douche coffeehouse music in the background)

F**king apple, I own the ipad 4 128gb but I just don't see any reason to upgrade, this thing cost me a fortune and no real benefit to upgrade..../snip

my, my, my

Apple...getting involved with the video game industry huh? You obviously don't remember your history of video games. ;)

images

apple-pippin.jpg

apple-pippin.jpg

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You highlight a problem with tablets and phones: they are locked down with regards to what OS they are able to run.

If you were able to install Android on the iPad Air, would your opinion of the device change? WOuld it then be worth the extra $100?

To me, the hardware seems worth the extra cash.

Nah, and I mean the customization of the OS. iOS is locked to what Apple wants you to do. Android is locked to almost nothing. Stock provides limited customization but apps in the Play store can do almost whatever you want.

Okay, stop the presses. I just heard that the PSX can play all of the PS4 games, since the PS4 is just basically an esthetic upgrade to the PSX! Just like the PS2 and PS3 have been so far!

While you may not see the value of an aluminum case, I for one can. My 2010 MacBook Pro is still up to pretty much everything I throw at it and it still feels better to hold compared to my Nexus 7 (2013), which is less than 2 months old. What does this prove? People have different preferences. Did I pay a lot for my MBP at the time? Sure as hell I did. I basically paid my year's salary at the time (had a summer job and studied for most of the year), but I haven't had any reason to upgrade since. At the same time, quite a few of my friends have needed to upgrade their laptops 2 or 3 times to be able to do the same things I can do with my laptop (most requirements are related to engineering/CAD software most people don't run on their own compures, but I digress). As a single investment it has been expensive, but I did manage to pay it off quite well.

As for the Android vs. iOS (vs. Windows Phones vs Blackberry 10, etc), comparing specs/hardware is pretty moot. RAM doesn't mean shizles unless your OS really needs a ton of it to operate. GHz of your processor doesn't mean jack if the rest of the hardware isn't compatible or take advantage of the specs. This is the reason why iOS devices match other devices in speed and other things (based on unbiased benchmark software).

ps. If someone wants to actually compare the new iOS devices to top Android devices, Ars Technica has a good review of them.

I'm very sorry for you

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, and I mean the customization of the OS. iOS is locked to what Apple wants you to do. Android is locked to almost nothing. Stock provides limited customization but apps in the Play store can do almost whatever you want.

That's what I mean though, if the iPad Air was an Android device, do you think it'd be worth the $100 premium over the Nexus 10?

That's my question for you.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I mean though, if the iPad Air was an Android device, do you think it'd be worth the $100 premium over the Nexus 10?

That's my question for you.

I personally dont. I think that paying $100 for a glossy backcover is ridiculous. If you think that your nexus doesnt feel good to hold there are cases which are definitely not $100 that you can use.

Plus the nexus 10 has "Over 4-million pixels" (google.com/nexus/10) The new iPad Air has a whopping 3.1 million. It has 1GB ram (or am I wrong here?) when the Nexus has 2GB. The 16GB iPad air starts at $499. The Nexus 10 32gb is... $499 (16gb is $399)
Apple's devices are equivalent to Alienware in mobile technology. Paying for a glossy backcover and a logo really.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's ARM. Anyway x86 is almost there, thanks to Intel's Bay Trail. Next year, or two years at most, x86 will pretty much have the same thermals (and more power) of ARM.

Yeah, those new Baytrails look awesome. Hear they can work with Android x86 and Win 8, pretty damn good if you ask me.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, those new Baytrails look awesome. Hear they can work with Android x86 and Win 8, pretty damn good if you ask me.

Intel has core chips that are pretty efficient as well.

These things are a lot more expensive than atoms or ARM processors, but they can run at pretty low power while doing routine tasks while still overclocking instantly when needed. They are powering the new Surface Pro 2 tablet from Microsoft, which has a theoretical battery life as long as the new iPad, although it will probably be less if you use it for processor-intense tasks.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, look at the Microsoft Surface line. They show a lot of innovation. The Surface has a built in kickstand and a really good keyboard cover, so you can prop it up in your lap, on the table, wherever. The surface pro 2 line is basically an ultrabook in tablet form that has an active digitizer, has battery life comprable to an iPad, and can run regular desktop applications. You get a tablet with real PC guts for only a few hundred dollars more than an iPad.

Microsoft's partners have also had some really innovative tablet PC designs over the year.

Apple basically refuses to do anything with its iPad line other than release the Jobs-approved giant iPod touch/iPhone tablet. It is too bad too, because I bet a lot of Apple fanatics would buy a tablet version of the Macbook Air along similar lines to the Surface Pro.

how is turning a tablet into a half ass notebook innovation?
do you realize that the goal of the ipad was to eliminate the use of keyboard or anything other than your hand as the input device?

steve: i want to make a computer with no stylus and no keyboard
microsoft: lets innovate the ipad by adding a stylus and a keyboard

:ph34r:

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you realize that the goal of the ipad was to eliminate the use of keyboard or anything other than your hand as the input device?

By putting it like this, I don't even know what's the different between a Microsoft surface and a laptop with a touchscreen. XD

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
By putting it like this, I don't even know what's the different between a Microsoft surface and a laptop with a touchscreen. XD
The option to take away the keyboard when you don't need it. Now considering that you can also get a Bluetooth keyboard case for the iPad, I say meh.

I've been considering the upgrade to an iPad 5 for a while now. From my iPad 2. But I'm going to wait a few more months before deciding if 64 bit is worth anything. I never cared for retina...

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Innovation means doing something useful and new. Microsoft beat Apple to the tablet format by many, many years. What made Apple innovative with the iPad was that they realized that there was a consumer market for a cheap, underpowered tablet device that could only perform bare-bones functions such as web browsing.

Part of Microsoft's problem was that they overestimated the average consumer whereas Apple understood that most people were willing to settle for significantly inferior hardware and software if it were easy to use and able to accomplish a few basic functions, like web browsing, that increasingly dominated PC usage.

What makes the surface and surface pro innovative is that they took something that basically is in the form and similar in size to an iPad, and gave it many new, useful features. For instance, few tablet PC's before the Surface Pro 2 had such a slim size, weight, and long battery life. Few tablets as small had an active digitizer. Few tablets had a really good keyboard attachment or kickstand.

You mention some of the real problem with Apple in your post. Apple just does not give you options. If you want just a basic tablet, Microsoft gives you the Surface. If you want something that is light enough to replace a tablet, but heavy duty enough to replace a laptop, Microsoft gives you the surface pro. If you want to use your tablet to do word processing, Microsoft gives you Office, really high quality keyboard, and a built in kickstand.

Apple does not give you those options because the all-and-mighty Steve Mobs says you don't need to be able to write a cover letter on your iPad. If you want to do that, you should spend $1000 or more on a fancy new Macbook or struggle with the onscreen keyboard. If you want a tablet that runs photoshop and allows touchscreen stylus input, well, you're not going to find it from Apple because Apple thinks you don't need it. Instead, you should spend $10,000 on a Mac Pro and a Wacom digitizer input.

The option to take away the keyboard when you don't need it. Now considering that you can also get a Bluetooth keyboard case for the iPad, I say meh.

I've been considering the upgrade to an iPad 5 for a while now. From my iPad 2. But I'm going to wait a few more months before deciding if 64 bit is worth anything. I never cared for retina...

Well, it is not just that. I have owned several Microsoft Tablet PC's and, unlike the Surface Pro, they simply are too heavy to hold comfortably in one hand for an extended period. By contrast, I have no problem holding something as heavy as a macbook air in my hand for extended periods and the Surface Pro 2 is lighter than a Macbook Air once you remove the keyboard cover.

The keyboard cases for the iPad add a lot of heft and bulk, and they still do not add the ability to use an accurate stylus or run an application like Office, Photoshop, Mathematica, or Matlab.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Seeing that the new iPad mini uses the same chip, same camera, higher ppi albeit smaller screen and at S$140 less expensive, I'd rather go for that than the Air.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the mini has a smaller screen.
But the mini has a smaller screen.

Pro and con.

I really do not understand the usefullness of something between a phone and paper-sized tablet. The iPad mini and its ilk are too small to read a normal document such as a word, PDF file, or textbook, but too big to be a phone (bigger than the oversized Note 3)

I have a Kindle and I never think, "man, this is the perfect size". I always think, "man, I want something big enough to read a full PDF or textbook," or, "I wish this fit in my pocket".

Maybe there is something I am missing?

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The amount of Anti Apple in this thread is disturbing...

I currently dont have any iOS devices (I'm on android atm) but damn O.o People need to calm down some of ya'll sound like its gonna affect ya all personally.

Why not just let Apple product users be and if they want to pay that much let them if your an Android user get your Android stuff... Why do some people get so aggressive or defensive over what is essentially just another brand.

Maybe It's my age talking but all this reminds me of is the School ground arguments over which is better Mega Drive (Genesis) or Super Nintendo. Pick which ever YOU prefer and roll with it let others use what they want its not gonna harm you or effect your own personal life in any way lol

(Rant off)

Could be a decent upgrade for people on early iPads I think but not sure its worth it as a generational update though really at the moment I dont have any tablet but my Galaxy S2 does what I would have wanted of a tablet any way :P

Reactions: Qtis and raulpica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER