Apple announces iPad Air

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by T-hug, Oct 22, 2013.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Apple have just announced the latest device in the iPad range, the fifth generation iPad Air:

:arrow:Source

[​IMG]

2. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Another excellent entry to the we-tailor-to-the-millionaires line of devices.

3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    It... looks like a big iPad Mini.

4. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Pretty interested in it, Apple doesn't show any interesting innovations though which is a deal breaker.

Ammako and chartube12 like this.
  5. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    It's... $500?

I don't think you need to be a millionare to afford that.

6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    What if you have 15 other Apple devices?

To me, it's just a slightly improved iPad 3. No big deal. Try innovation like Samsung did (AKA Flexible screens) then get back to me.

Duo8, calmwaters, air2004 and 6 others like this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to innovate when it comes to a flat slab of plastic with a screen attached to it. A tablet is a tablet, right now it's a specs and OS war more than anything.

soulx and Nightwish like this.
  8. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    I see iPad everywhere but not about the Surface 2 Launch, good grief that is more exiting then some Apple product with underpowered hardware...

9. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    OMG GUYS OMG ITS APPLE PRODUCT OMG I MUST HAVE OGMGOMOGMOGOMGMOGOMGMO

well what do you know, another apple device that will completely forgot about next october because the brand new iPad Air Pro will be released then. Way to go apple, so innovative. Releasing the exact same products year after year. how do you do it guys? how do you keep customers releasing awful overpriced products that were literally the same thing last edition. please im dying to know how do you do it apple?

lets see... a $500 apple ipad (thats the same as last release, just a 'omg so amazing' new look) or a $400 Nexus 10. ipad or nexus ipad or nexus ipad or nexus hmmmmmm I wonder if I should go with the awful apple product? I sure made an awful decision last time I did that. Apple is a joke

Duo8 likes this.
  10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. I should have the right to slap anyone that says Apple is better than anything. At least Microsoft still supports Vista, their worst OS yet.

Ethevion and filfat like this.
  11. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yay, another barely improved ipad!

12. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague

Of course they can innovate, they can make NEW things. Like bending the screens for example that you get a book effect for real or a new kind of touch screen.

There's a reason it's called innovation Foxi, you need to find brand new things(or steal them, whatever you prefer) and use them in your product. There are so many things people did love to see in their iPads. My mom'd love to see a build in stylus(A bit like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for example) because styluses can be really useful. It's no real innovation but at least they are trying. Thing is already light enough, old people can hold it, babies can so why make it even waaaay lighter then it was? Why not add that high quality stylus for all those people who want it?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Win ME was worse then Vista tho.
    Vista, if tweaked a lot, isn't all that bad.

14. 3bbb7

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I'm getting tired of this apple bullcrap. The iPod touch 4g was my last Apple product I'll ever buy. If for whatever reason I need to run osx (don't know why I ever would) theres always hackintosh, and hey its even cheaper to build a better machine and make it a hackintosh than buy an iMac

Can't wait for my nexus 5 :)

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Uhm, yeah, that folding thing's been done already - Sony Xperia Tablet P? Mind you, that's not a foldable screen, but the end result is pretty much the same. As for the stylus, capacitive touchscreens aren't really friends with standard styluses, but I suppose they could bundle a capacitive screen compatible stylus with their device.

In any case, I suppose you're right, but I wouldn't call a "folding tablet" a tablet anymore due to the differences in the form-factor and adding a stylus wouldn't really be "innovation", rather just adding an additional accessory to the kit. I would also be careful with using the term "innovation" with those two as both solutions already exist and have existed for a while. :P

16. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    Because people like shiny shiny things.

17. 3bbb7

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    people who buy every apple product (like year after year) are one of two things: rich and ignorant or just ignorant

Sheimi, mrnintendo15 and T Link7 like this.
  18. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    so if its $500 in America, then here in Portugal its about 500€.
    just to let you guys know, where i live most people make between 500-600 euros a month.
    so here you basically have to be a millionaire to buy one

Ethevion, T Link7 and Nightwish like this.
  19. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Don't forget that OS X Mavericks is released today, along with new revisions on the original iPad (5th revision now?) and the Mac Pro (available December) and the Macbook Pros (which have all been moved to Retina lines starting at $1299 for a 13 inch).

20. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Isn't it the great advantage of choosing and developing for Apple products that there's few models? Yeah, 'bout that...
    Isn't it the point of mobile development to be easy and inexpensive, which super-high resolutions work against?

Can I go knock some pundits heads now?