1. 8,502

Front-page
    luna.JPG
    A new competitor enters the console gaming market and it's none other than Amazon. During its hardware event today, the tech giant announced that it's entering the console gaming market with Amazon Luna. Rather than being a direct competitor to the PS5 or Xbox Series X, Luna is more of a competitor to Google Stadia. Like the latter, Luna is a cloud-based gaming service but is powered by Amazon Web Service (AWS) and is available on PC, Mac, Fire TV and web apps for iPhone and iPad (Android is planned for later). Games are playable with either Xbox One controller, DualShock 4 controller, mouse/keyboard or the newly announced Luna Controller; a controller apparently took some inspiration from the Nintendo Switch's Pro Controller, with the notable addition of a virtual assistant button:

controller 1.png
    controller 2.png controller 3.png controller 4.png
    While this service has been announced today, early access to Luna is available in mainland U.S. only and exclusively by invitation on its official website, which will be issued on a rolling basis. This early access is priced at $5.99 per month, streams at up to 1080p with select titles streamed at up to 4K resolution and supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The company recommends a minimum internet connection speed of 10 Mbps for streaming games and mentions a 35 Mbps connection required to play in 4K.

The Alexa-enabled Luna Controller goes for $49.99 during the early access period, and will be available for purchase only by those who have received an invitation to Luna. Amazon's controller connects directly to Amazon's cloud servers, allowing for lower latency and enabling players to easily switch between screens (such as Fire TV to mobile phone) without the need for additional pairing or configuration changes.

Amazon Luna will also feature Twitch integration which the company explains as follows:
    As part of the announcement, Luna+ was also introduced as "a growing library of new and favorite titles" that will host over 100 games. Launch titles will include Resident Evil 7, Control, Panzer Dragoon, A Plague Tale: Innocence, The Surge 2, Yooka-Laylee, GRID, Abzu, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons; with more to be added "over time". Amazon also announced the Ubisoft channel, the first of additional gaming channels, which will include older and newer Ubisoft games like Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla. But no pricing was announced for this additional channel.

luna games.jpg
    What do you think of the Amazon Luna? Do you think cloud gaming services will replace traditional gaming consoles? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: Amazon Luna Official Website

naughty_cat, Veho, raxadian and 8 others like this.
  2. Discussion (106 replies)

3. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware
    Developer

Micronesia, Federated States of
    Considering how slow prime shipping has become I wouldn't hold my breath that they care about streaming lag.

4. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

United States
    Well, if they don't mess up pricing like Stadia did, it might stand a chance. Amazon probably has the servers for it, but then again, you'd expect Google would, too.

5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    How is it not a competitor to xcloud but it is to google stadia when literally all the games are included in your monthly sub without having to buy them separately ? It's exactly like xcloud and because of that a competitor to xcloud and not google stadia

naughty_cat, crissal, James_ and 9 others like this.
  6. CrossOut

CrossOut GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This will be very interesting as it already has much better features then google stadia did( you know, that fact that you dont have to purchase your games all over again). The minmum connection speeds stated are upload speed and not download speed. If this is the case this needs to be stated as it is false advertising. I have to say that the games in the picture are not the best launch titles but it makes sense since its a streaming service.

I wonder why they are not releasing it on android and wating until later. Perhaps there a a few problems and they are trying to work it out? I look forward to seeing this here in PAL regions.

7. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic

United States
    I don’t get the point of having indie titles like sonic mania that could run on a toaster on a service like this

8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Xbox 360/X1 controller has been confirmed the BEST CONTROLLER EVER DESIGNED!

See all other console makers copy from him?

CallmeBerto and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  9. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic

United States
    Well, this one was a switch pro controller copy sooooo

10. EvilJagaGenius

Newcomer

United States
    oh boy can't wait to see how Amazon competes with Negative Latency

Look, until somebody figures out faster-than-light communication and covers the globe with it, I just don't see how this concept can work.

11. Raffina

Raffina Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Is anyone truly excited about cloud gaming? I understand that all software is going the way of the Dodo, but I feel we aren't there yet. I wonder, fast interweb connections are expensive and not available everywhere, this truly is a niche market. I do like the Switch Pro controller copypasta. The purple accent color is sexy!

Codemastershock, aMp, Karones and 2 others like this.
  12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yay more cloud gaming garbage

13. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    shipping times have been slow everywhere because of the pandemic. not really amazon related.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

separately not sure if another streaming platform is worth it, but I do like the controller they have shown here

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  14. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    If they say this can run on a Firestick than it’s going to be garbage it can barely handle video at times,
    but I do like how everyone is taking a swing at this
    hopefully everyone brings something useful that helps at least build a good foundation for the future

CrossOut and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  15. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    The thought of playing a fast paced side scroller which requires lightning fast reflexes via a streaming platform disgusts me.

Add video artifacting on top of that and mmm, that's one hot steaming mess!

JavaScribe, Henx, DarthDub and 8 others like this.
  16. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

United States
    Google Stadia: But we'll do it better!™ Edition

JavaScribe likes this.
  17. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    Seems to be subscription based instead of renting games at full price, so it already looks better than stadia in my eyes.

All they need is to be better latency/streaming quality-wise, which shouldn't be too hard considering stadia's dogshit streaming quality.

18. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    I can't tell if it's a Netflix/xcloud type service where you pay a monthly fee and access whatever game you want at no extra charge, or a stupid stadia service where you pay full price for each game on top of a subscription if you want 4k.

I actually like the idea of cloud gaming. Especially xcloud since it lets me play the handful of xbox titles I want to play without having to spend $300-$500 for a console. I know people cry latency and artifacting and it's honestly been imperceptible to me on xcloud, so I think I can enjoy it.

CrossOut and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Succubus™ Moody Cubi

Antarctica
    On one hand, everyone trying to make a cloud-streaming service might push them to make better services. On the other hand, the companies that have been making these services (Google and now Amazon,) have a long history of abandoning projects the second they don't instantly kill the competition.

JavaScribe and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  20. morvoran

morvoran Trumpican

United States
    It is good that more companies are jumping on this bandwagon as more competition means more competitive pricing and features.
    If Amazon adds this service to their Prime membership, I will definitely try it out.
    I don't like the copied switch pro controller as the buttons hurt my thumbs after playing for an hour on the pro controller.

While game streaming is a new(ish) technology full of bugs/lags and other disappointments now, it will be the future of gaming. Instead of buying a $3000+ power pc and having to buy a $1200+ gpu every 2 years, you can play games on a potato or a small stick such as the fireTV for around $15-$20 per month. Unfortunately, this may mean no piracy or physical media to own which will also kill any hopes of future emulation prospects unless the games can be fully ripped off of the gaming servers and played offline.

CrossOut and gregory-samba like this.
  21. gregory-samba

gregory-samba GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No thanks. I'm not going to support video gaming streaming only services by purchasing this crap. It's bad enough that some physical games already require a constant Internet connection or servers that simply up and vanish after some years. Digital sucks.

Ampersound, Raffina, Payne and 6 others like this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announces, service, Amazon