Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

Antho27mellilium

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like we don't cover piracy stuff or leaked dumps from time to time, the nerve!
We can have the channel can we download (free channel when we see in wii shop channel early 2006 or 2009), But a homebrew game I say yes. I'm not realy fine to piraty a game, is so painfull for the autors. Look what happen about yuzu and citra get killed by big N. This is all of my word. We get carefull about nintendo now, more than in the past.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
How do I download?

This has already since been discontinued. Also, read the thread to understand the controversy surrounding it.
Post automatically merged:

If I were you, I would stick to getting Wii games and such through other means. This entire concept surrounding reviving the Wii Shop Channel isn't really great considering that it's just straight upnpirscy at that point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto