Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait, is Riishop related to Riiconnect24? I never installed Riishop (and never had the intention to) but I DO have Riiconnect24 installed. Should I remove it?
No, and no. You're fine. If it works for you, use it.
Post automatically merged:

Yes remove it and use WiiLink instead
:unsure:

1705852687335.png

Reactions: MrL123

MrL123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way to do a project like this is to make the user provide their own game licenses, like what the 3DS freeshop did where you had to use your own titlekeys file. Circumvents the piracy concerns.

Reactions: CaliousKai

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Update: It appears that the RiiShop has been discontinued already due to some issues that were apparently mounting since the public beta opened.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They got a email from Nintendo. Check
"Hi. This is Nintendo's mom. My son is sick, so please cease and desist this project. Sincerely:
Nintendo's mom."
sad.gif

Sorry guys, Nintendo cancelled our project and we don't want any legal trouble. Please donate to my PayPal or Kofi though.

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just taking an educated guess.
As an insider, I can assure this is not the case. It boils down to the drama that has been discussed by other members here. The project imploded on itself essentially, with the project lead grossly misusing donation funds, and a project developer (former developer and founder of RiiConnect24) leaking sensitive information, going on a racist tirade, and mass banning members "just because". Though Nintendo would've very quickly stepped in once downloading WADs was supported. The project had piracy intentions written all over it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As an insider, I can assure this is not the case. It boils down to the drama that has been discussed by other members here. The project imploded on itself essentially, with the project lead grossly misusing donation funds, and a project developer (former developer and founder of RiiConnect24) leaking sensitive information, going on a racist tirade, and mass banning members "just because". Though Nintendo would've very quickly stepped in once downloading WADs was supported. The project had piracy intentions written all over it.
Oof that's what even worse

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
and mass banning members "just because".
can personally confirm this one. Larsen would randomly fucking ban people on the RiiConnect24 Discord server he didn't like, even if they never violated any rules. After he stepped down not too long ago, the RiiConnect24 moderators offered unbans to whoever submitted a form.

I sent a form. 10 minutes later I was unbanned.

Reactions: bennyman123abc

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Okay, can someone tell me exactly in full detail what's going on in the chat? Who is Larson? What did they do?

All I know and can say is that RiiShop.... I never liked it cause I can get games through other means, and it was 100% just a ticket to getting dmca'd!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto