Hacking After installing A9HL on 4 differnt 3DS', I dont see why people are scared to do it

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could someone here mabe tell me if my emunand is compatible for part 3 of the github a9lh tut? It's the part where your supposed to transfer your emunand stuff over to your cfw sysnand through the emunand9 setting of a9lh.Im still studieng it so I haven't attempted anything yet.

My current setup is

•9.2 sysnand/old 3ds

•Gateway emunand(the one where you format to the go.gatewaywebsite)

•Menuhax with rxtools shortcut

•Rxtools cfw

My question is will I be able transfer my current emunand stuff over to a9lh with no issues,or do I have to format my sd card to anoughter emunand before going through with the decrypt9WIP 2.1.0 downgrade?

That's all I need to know and I think I'll be fine.Sorry I haven't switched sooner but I just found out about this recently.
You should have no issues. I also followed an older version of the guide with a GW emunand and it worked. Rednand and emunand are very similar.

Reactions: Deleted User

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
many people just didn't want to downgrade again and many arent aware that they don't have to anymore.

others dont feel like fixing whats not broken. you dont have to jump through a lot of hoops, its just one and thats waiting like 20 seconds once a day or week.

yes, its slightly more convenient, absolutely, and there is no chance of accidentally upgrading wrong, though, there really wasnt on an emunand setup either.
its a bit more childproof though. but thats really not a plus for everyone.

and even though its seemingly 99.9% safe if you follow the guide, theres always that unforseen electrical surge during downgrade, a file that corrupted during transfer, or the memory card deciding to switch into write-lock mode for no good reason whatsoever halfway through the whole thing. or some family member doing something stupid while you're taking a leak.

its as safe as it will ever be, yes. but for some, its not worth it. not everyone can go get a new system if something goes wrong. so stop hassling them. they'll come around one day or not. its their decision.

Waywatcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
See and that's ok if you don't have any need for it. A lot of people simply don't mind using menuhax and that's fine. I just understand why people are so afraid of it.

I can understand why some are worried or even scared:

Before beginning the guide, you must know the risks of 3DS hacking: EVERY time you modify your system, there is always the potential for an UNRECOVERABLE brick. They're rare, but still a possibility so make sure you follow ALL directions EXACTLY. (From the Home part)

If you update a 2.1.0 New 3DS using the built-in System Update, you will BRICK. Follow the steps as written!
(Part 2)

Never format a 2DS while on a version <6.0.0 or you will be unable to complete initial setup and will BRICK!
(Part 2)

Putting a New 3DS on 2.1.0 in sleep mode is known to cause an UNRECOVERABLE brick! You should avoid closing your device and, without delay, go directly to Part 3 - arm9loaderhax to prevent this!
(Part 2)

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that was true, wouldn't one of your 14 topics be something like "How do I Install Luma a9lh?", because I don't see it.
He may have asked in someone else's thread instead of creating his own. But still, People help me all the time haha sometimes I feel like I ask too many questions xD

D

Deleted User

I can understand why some are worried or even scared:

Before beginning the guide, you must know the risks of 3DS hacking: EVERY time you modify your system, there is always the potential for an UNRECOVERABLE brick. They're rare, but still a possibility so make sure you follow ALL directions EXACTLY. (From the Home part)

If you update a 2.1.0 New 3DS using the built-in System Update, you will BRICK. Follow the steps as written!
(Part 2)

Never format a 2DS while on a version <6.0.0 or you will be unable to complete initial setup and will BRICK!
(Part 2)

Putting a New 3DS on 2.1.0 in sleep mode is known to cause an UNRECOVERABLE brick! You should avoid closing your device and, without delay, go directly to Part 3 - arm9loaderhax to prevent this!
(Part 2)
Reading that before I started scared the everloving shit out of me.

Reactions: KapuDaKoopa

LongTimeLurker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He may have asked in someone else's thread instead of creating his own. But still, People help me all the time haha sometimes I feel like I ask too many questions xD

Haha true :P, I like answering questions but I can't keep up with something like the Noob Paradise thread, way too much going on for me.

D

Deleted User

You should have no issues. I also followed an older version of the guide with a GW emunand and it worked. Rednand and emunand are very similar.
Nice! The fear of not being able to Transfer my emunand over to the a9lh sysnand was my only problem since I'd hate to lose all my digital saves and games during the process.Thanks for the quick answer.I may switch over later on once I'm finished with sun and moon after it comes out.

Reactions: samiam144

MrGimper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I did my Son's o3DS this weekend I had the issue with the Browser locking up having done the update check. I then had to revert to OOTHax to get moving. Thankfully I have my AL9H console and found my OOT cart :)

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I firstly installed a9lh half a year ago. And I recently did again with the new guide with a bunch of 3ds's. To be honest I was shocked by how much the technique has improved and how easy and safe installing a9lh is now. At that time we don't have ctrnand transfer, instead emunand was downgraded and fixed then manually transferred to sysnand. After obtaining otp the homebrew to install a9lh was required to be compiled by the user. I still remeber how nervous I was when running the installer since several warnings were encountered during compilation. The current guide covers almost everything. Besides downloading wrong region files, closing the lid on n3ds 2.1 firmware, and losing power while doing ctrtransfer, I really can't think another case when brick could happen.

Last edited by wsquan171,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm just curious if anyone around here has ever modded a wii? Soft modding mine back in the day gave me nightmares xD
Since you were mostly installing cIOS in stub slots (249, 250 and so on), there wasn't any issue if the installation failed.

Only real reason to be concerned about was installing wads without having a recovery way like bootmii or priiloader. This time it's the other way around. There are no problems at all when installing CIA files (only if your console turns off in the exact second it's writing to NAND, but that's very rare), but it's way harder to set up everything, than it was on Wii.

Reactions: DrkBeam

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I started with a menuhax o3DS, and then noticed that the rainbow boot annoyed the piss out of me, and decided to go for the arm9loaderhax version. It was successfully installed and then I started doing a bunch of used 3DSes for extra pocket money. It got to the point where downgrading to 9.2 was almost done by memory. Still, it was an annoying process because it was a huge pain in the butt to create emunands, fix the emunand, unlink the two nands, and then format until the cows came home. But I did countless ones and it got easier.

Finally, I got my hands on a n3DS and I noticed people here were saying there was going to be an update to the guide. So it finally happened and using the CTRNAND is completely easy and was less nerve-wracking that I might have screwed up a couple of steps. And then I did about six of the New Nintendo 3DSes - mostly for clients that updated to 11.1...

viral777

mecha connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following the A9Lh guide is the easiest guide to follow in terms of 3ds modding. The whole guide is LITERALLY dragging and dropping files onto the sd card. Installing Emunands, menuhacks, etc were far more of an annoyance, and took a lot longer that doing a9LH. I did A9LH for the first time the other day, and it was so god dang easy. Well worth the hour to do it.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
OK, If you say so. Since at first you said that downgrad console to an ancient firmware would brick it under normal circumstances.
Which if you following the guide, it's not true except New 3DS with auto sleep function.
Sorry that I misunderstanding you. ^_^
Could you tell me a but more about this auto sleep function of the N3DS?
I'm not scared nor paranoid. I'm just a very lazy guy that's happy with just menuhax autoboot + luma3ds.

I already have what i need.
*insert Margen67 here*

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool but its not worth it to me. My N3DS XL has Menuhax and rxTools/ReiNAND/Gateway with 100℅ boot rate and 15 sec startup time.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I shit my pants doing a9hl, and I've had a 3DS since the original launch date and hung on to 4.5 forever. I was inspired to do it because I read a reddit post to get a9hl while I still could because Nintendo might remove this capability at some point

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30