Hacking After installing A9HL on 4 differnt 3DS', I dont see why people are scared to do it

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
It's because people have read about softbricking when downgrading being pretty common, and it makes them jittery.

They don't realise it's a lot more stable now.

sentosa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
about armloaderhax .. Im curious what happen if your sd card is broken , and dont have backup about it .
Is it can be still recover ?

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
about armloaderhax .. Im curious what happen if your sd card is broken , and dont have backup about it .
Is it can be still recover ?

Of course. The hax relies on your console, not on your SD. If you lost your SD or you broke it, just download a CFW that has arm9loaderhax.bin to boot. You will lose your games tho.

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Haven't you read the very beginning of the guide?
"EVERY time you modify your system, there is always the potential for an UNRECOVERABLE brick"
The chance is small, but it's there ;)

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
"EVERY time you modify your system, there is always the potential for an UNRECOVERABLE brick"
That chance of an unrecovable brick might even happen when you're setting up emunand or updating your system from the official servers, it even happend to me when I was updating my ps4 before , unless you don't know follow the new guide as you're supposed to the chance of a brick is close to zero.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
some people might not trust themselves to follow the instructions right. it only takes a skipped line and stuff. and i still feel that the part 1 table isn't 100% noob-proof in its design.

some might also still be waiting for an official boot without sd card version

Inochi.no.Zenmai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You know you also have a small chance to brick your unmodified console doing an official system update?

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That chance of an unrecovable brick might even happen when you're setting up emunand or updating your system from the official servers, it even happend to me when I was updating my ps4 before , unless you don't know follow the new guide as you're supposed to the chance of a brick is close to zero.

You know you also have a small chance to brick your unmodified console doing an official system update?

I'm perfectly aware of the chance of scrweing up my system with something as simple as an official update. Heck, I remember it being quite the issue when back in the Wii days, Nintendo released a system update meant to block the homebrew channel among other things, but it ended up affecting legit users as well. However, the reason why people may not be so scared of the brick chance from an official update is that those systems are likely covered by warranty, but if you send in a console that's been modified in any way, you're out of luck. Imagine sending a downgraded or partially downgraded New 3DS or a 2DS to Nintendo. Good luck with that :P

Personally, I've already followed the guide twice and have succesfully gone through it with both systems (old and new 3DS). Well, the N3DS went smoothly, but the old 3DS didn't want to update once I was in 2.1 and ready to do so. Restoring the nand back up fixed the issue anyway.

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Imagine sending a downgraded or partially downgraded New 3DS or a 2DS to Nintendo. Good luck with that :P
Pretty sure they don't care and wouldn't even find out , if you brick your nand during the downgrade you can update via recovery mode, if that didn't work ,when you send it to nintendo it would look like something was wrong during the update and they will swap the nand with a new one.
Plus when you send a downgraded 3ds know that they will update it to the latest firmware for sure.

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if you brick your nand during the downgrade you can update via recovery mode

Oh yes, the procedure that doesn't help N3DS users: "Try booting into recovery mode and updating your system. This will BRICK a New 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0" (Plailect's troubleshooting, 'Black screen on SysNAND boot' section)

Plus when you send a downgraded 3ds know that they will update it to the latest firmware for sure.

Which is effectively the same as using recovery mode on your own in case it can help you, because now you can't downgrade as easily as you could before. But hey, at least you still have a working console~

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yes, the procedure that doesn't help N3DS users: "Try booting into recovery mode and updating your system. This will BRICK a New 3DS downgraded to 2.1.0" (Plailect's troubleshooting, 'Black screen on SysNAND boot' section)
Sounds like you're referring to the Old Plailect guide ?

Dev5359

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New guide is bad. Old one was great without any error. lots of people having prob with the new al9h guide.
No, the updated guide is NOT bad. You just had trouble following it and that's on you, pal. Plenty of people have had no issues at all when installing A9LH using that guide and it's flawless. The only people that do have issues can't read properly. Don't bash one of the most important guides for installing A9LH because you're incompetent. You're misleading others into avoiding Phialect's guide, and as a result they might instead watch an outdated YouTube tutorial.

Last edited by Dev5359,

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The problem is that there's no up to date translation of the new guide like there was for the provious one I followed in July...people who don't understand english well can't really follow the new guide since they can't understand the instructions well...

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
me 7 (1 (n3dsxl, mine) and 6 for friend (between n3ds o3ds and 2ds)
never got any kind of problems, no soft brick, nothing

Until you read carefully, it's all right

wtfboom3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since you're all saying it's easy, help me get started:

I haven't beeing using my N3DS because I was VERY busy on the last months, but I want to install a9hl on it before I get back into it.

-I have N3DS on 9.9.0-26U. WiFi has been disabled since forever (so I can still use the browser without the nag).
-First step is adding tubehax DNS so I can still use the browser, correct?
-I bought a 64gb microSD card. Can I perform the downgrade with this card or should I first downgrade with the default card and then copy the files to the 64gb card?
-How much time do I have before the N3DS goes into sleep mode on 2.1? Or is it only if I close the screen?
-Should I download stuff as I go or download everything and get it ready beforehand?

I'm planning on doing it later today or this week.

extra questions:
-Do I lose any saves/etc by doing the downgrade+restore?
-Are there any disadvantages to doing a9hl?
-Powering off means: power off, screens pops up, power off again, right? (and hold power button if that doesn't work)
-On Section III (Configuring Luma3DS). Does it have to be done on 2.1? Can I change the settings once I upgrade (since many settings cause instability/crashes according to the guide)?

Thanks!

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Since you're all saying it's easy, help me get started:

I haven't beeing using my N3DS because I was VERY busy on the last months, but I want to install a9hl on it before I get back into it.

-I have N3DS on 9.9.0-26U. WiFi has been disabled since forever (so I can still use the browser without the nag).
-First step is adding tubehax DNS so I can still use the browser, correct?
-I bought a 64gb microSD card. Can I perform the downgrade with this card or should I first downgrade with the default card and then copy the files to the 64gb card?
-How much time do I have before the N3DS goes into sleep mode on 2.1? Or is it only if I close the screen?
-Should I download stuff as I go or download everything and get it ready beforehand?

I'm planning on doing it later today or this week.

extra questions:
-Do I lose any saves/etc by doing the downgrade+restore?
-Are there any disadvantages to doing a9hl?
-Powering off means: power off, screens pops up, power off again, right? (and hold power button if that doesn't work)
-On Section III (Configuring Luma3DS). Does it have to be done on 2.1? Can I change the settings once I upgrade (since many settings cause instability/crashes according to the guide)?

Thanks!
- Disable tubehax (From what i hear you wont be able to use recovery mode if anything goes wrong , i'm not sure)and keep your WIFI on and go here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)
- Install menuhax via browserhax
- Downgrade your sysnand to 9.2 via browserhax or menuhax from here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Downgrade
- Do the CTRtransfer via decrypt9 https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(2.1.0-ctrtransfer)
- Never close your screen once you do the CTRtransfer , it's a hardbrick granted ! just proceed to the installation of amrloaderhax
* In my case i downloaded everything before hand and put them on the SD card before starting , then proceeded without having to add anything else , it's your choice..
- You won't lose any saves , if you're too worried just backitup ; once your done u will restore your sysnand / with it you restore your saves and data
- There are no disadvantages unless you count not being able to use your system without an SD card as one
- Configuring Luma isn't a primary thing to do , you can do it anytime once you're done by holding Select on boot.

wtfboom3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
- Disable tubehax (From what i hear you wont be able to use recovery mode if anything goes wrong , i'm not sure)and keep your WIFI on and go here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Homebrew-Launcher-(Browser)
- Install menuhax via browserhax
- Downgrade your sysnand to 9.2 via browserhax or menuhax from here https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Downgrade
- Do the CTRtransfer via decrypt9 https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(2.1.0-ctrtransfer)
- Never close your screen once you do the CTRtransfer , it's a hardbrick granted ! just proceed to the installation of amrloaderhax
* In my case i downloaded everything before hand and put them on the SD card before starting , then proceeded without having to add anything else , it's your choice..
- You won't lose any saves , if you're too worried just backitup ; once your done u will restore your sysnand / with it you restore your saves and data
- There are no disadvantages unless you count not being able to use your system without an SD card as one
- Configuring Luma isn't a primary thing to do , you can do it anytime once you're done by holding Select on boot.

Thanks! IIRC, on 9.9 they added a "nag" if you enabled wifi without tubehax and went into the browser (it was nintendo's way of blocking browserhax and forcing an update). There was a workaround to remove the nag and do the browserhax again (which I don't need since I haven't connected to the internet since then). Maybe I should just keep tubehax to install the menuhax and then remove it (so browserhax isn't needed anymore)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu