Can I restore save data from modded 3ds SD card after motherboard failure?

wiggedout

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My daughter's modded 3ds died and we had to replace the motherboard, so it's essentially a different 3ds. I backed up the old SD card and modded the new system using a new SD card. She's got a bunch of Pokemon in her old save files that she doesn't want to lose and I'm wondering if there is any way to recover her old stuff. I've been able to follow guides to mod the systems, but I don't know too much beyond what they guides held my hand to do, so I'm a bit nervous to jump in and mess with things. My daughter is autistic and the thought of losing her Pokemon has her all tied up in knots.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How it should be:
Just restore the decrypted backups you hopefully created with Checkpoint and/or JKSM. The is the job of these save managers.

For the case such a decrypted backup does not exists, the most relevant link on GBAtemp would probably be this one:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/
The encryption key (movable.sed) is needed.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up the old SD card
She's got a bunch of Pokemon in her old save files
Are you talking about the DS Pokémon games or the 3ds ones? Was she playing with Pokémon cartridges or were the games installed on the sd card? How and where dud you find those save files?
It's all in details..

wiggedout

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about the DS Pokémon games or the 3ds ones? Was she playing with Pokémon cartridges or were the games installed on the sd card? How and where dud you find those save files?
It's all in details..
3ds games on the sd card. We downloaded the games, loaded them on the modded 3ds and she played and saved as usual. No Checkpoint or anything like that.
Post automatically merged:

The encryption key (movable.sed) is needed.
movable sed would only be on the SD card if we had copied it from the old system, right? It's not there by default?

Last edited by wiggedout,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and she played and saved as usual.
Sadly this means the save files you backed up are encrypted, thus can't be used on another 3ds (or other 3ds motherboard).
Where did you find these said "save files" anyway?
No Checkpoint or anything like that.
Checkpoint would've made decrypted save file backups that you could restore on any 3ds as many times as you want.
movable sed would only be on the SD card if we had copied it from the old system, right? It's not there by default?
It should be in "sd:/gm9/out" if you followed the 3ds.guide carefully, otherwise you're out of luck.

Last edited by CoolMe,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It can be on SD. Manually copied there. Essentials backup by GodMode9.
Any NAND backup should have it embedded as well.

BlackBerriGames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depending if its old or new check its warrenty and make sure its not modded (if it is idk) send it to nintendo and they can fix the motherboard if its out of warrenty go to like a repair shop or something oh and maybe plug it into a computer with a adapter for the 3ds or if you backed it up you can find it in you nintendo acc i think im new to the 3ds modding thing so idk for sure

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depending if its old or new check its warrenty and make sure its not modded (if it is idk) send it to nintendo and they can fix the motherboard if its out of warrenty go to like a repair shop or something oh and maybe plug it into a computer with a adapter for the 3ds or if you backed it up you can find it in you nintendo acc i think im new to the 3ds modding thing so idk for sure
bro nintendo doesnt fix 3dses anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: (i was allowed to do that)