Hacking Misc Possible ways to recover game save data?

Bronzos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For context: I was successful in modding my 3DS XL. However, I did a system format before proceeding with installing boot9strap due to some confusion in thinking that I had to only have the Mii Maker Data only on the screen. Also, I did not do a system transfer prior. I had several digital titles installed on my 3DS which were wiped, but I do have all of the SD card contents backed up prior to me doing anything to my unit. I have installed most of the games that I had previously and assumed that, with me dragging the old contents to the new formatted card, the games/system would pick up my old saves.

Is there any way for me to recover the save game data, or am I SOL and have to replay all the games? This issue mainly affects my Pokémon games where I had lots of sentimental Pokémon. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SD card data is encrypted (aside from things like Checkpoint backups, which are deliberately decrypted). Doing a System Format changes the encryption key, rendering all SD card data unreadable.

Normally the encryption key is unrecoverable, but doing a System Format only changes the encryption key very slightly. In cases like this you can use the CTR Transfer Type D9 script.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543

This script is capable of many different things but in this case you are interested solely in "Finding and restoring the KeyY". Read the instructions carefully.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#KEY_Y

Of course if you change your encryption key back to what it was, everything you've installed since formatting your system will become unreadable.

Bronzos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this information. I'll go ahead and read up on this post and let you know if I have success from this. I had spent a lot of hours on a lot of previous games, and it would be a shame to restart it all over. In the end, this is definitely a lesson learned.

Bronzos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD card data is encrypted (aside from things like Checkpoint backups, which are deliberately decrypted). Doing a System Format changes the encryption key, rendering all SD card data unreadable.

Normally the encryption key is unrecoverable, but doing a System Format only changes the encryption key very slightly. In cases like this you can use the CTR Transfer Type D9 script.

This script is capable of many different things but in this case you are interested solely in "Finding and restoring the KeyY". Read the instructions carefully.

Of course if you change your encryption key back to what it was, everything you've installed since formatting your system will become unreadable.

Okay, so I managed to recover some of my save data for some games. But, I noticed that my Pokemon X and Omega Ruby saves were not recovered. I also learned that they don't get moved over due to anti-cheating techs. Is there any 3rd party program or software that may help in getting my 3ds to recognize the save data?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But, I noticed that my Pokemon X and Omega Ruby saves were not recovered.
You need to be more precise about what that means.

I also learned that they don't get moved over due to anti-cheating techs. Is there any 3rd party program or software that may help in getting my 3ds to recognize the save data?
If you read that, then did you not also read that the solution is to back up the save data with Checkpoint and then restore it right away?

Bronzos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to be more precise about what that means.

If you read that, then did you not also read that the solution is to back up the save data with Checkpoint and then restore it right away?
I apologize for not being thorough with my answers. I still have the .sav files from Pokemon X and Omega Ruby, but the system is not recognizing it. So now, I'll read about how to use Checkpoint and do those processes. This is my 1st time interacting with any sort of 3ds modifying, and I'm not too technical of all the terminology. I'm just glad I was lucky/fortunate enough to get through the 1st part of getting most of my save data recognized! Thanks for your responses and I hope I can handle it from here on. :)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but the system is not recognizing it.
That's still not precise. What are you doing? What's happening when you do it? If you're getting an error message, what does it say? If you're "not too technical of all the terminology", then please avoid saying things like "the system is not recognizing it".

Bronzos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's still not precise. What are you doing? What's happening when you do it? If you're getting an error message, what does it say? If you're "not too technical of all the terminology", then please avoid saying things like "the system is not recognizing it".

I'll be as specific as I can be, and thankfully, I was able to get my old saves working after doing a little more digging from your suggestion. If it is still not precise, I apologize for saying the wrong things. Also, I hope this thread is in any way helpful to others, despite my lack of wording or level of information.

I followed the steps that you did in Post #2 and was successful with most of my save data. When I opened up the Pokémon games, the game prompted me to start a new file save data. I believed that my old .sav data would work when I copied and pasted the .sav file from my backup to the new folder, but it did not. Only error messages I received were in the Pokémon games themselves when it told me that my data was corrupted and that I would have to create new data.

I read and looked up information about your suggestion of Checkpoint, which led me to information about SaveDataFiler. It prompted me to delete its secure value and that that should let my system and the game read my old .sav file. Thankfully, it worked, and now I can go ahead and back it up using Checkpoint.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused, and I'll be more informed about how to communicate my actions and the conduct of the community. My problem is now solved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto