Gaming Misc Virtual Console New 3DS XL Pokémon Crystal save is apparently corrupted.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How big is the file?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Note", but a hex editor like xvi32 would be more informative.
It says the file size is 33 KB.

The hex editor reads it all as lines with a bunch of zeros. I did say I did replace my motherboard in the very original post. I have seen that not having the same motherboard I originally had would not decrypt the files properly because of NAND. I am very new to this stuff and I'm just trying to figure all this out.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did say I did replace my motherboard in the very original post. I have seen that not having the same motherboard I originally had would not decrypt the files properly because of NAND.
Oh! Yes, you did say that.

I have recently repaired most of my New 3DS XL components as it has a lot of issues fortunately I could still use the same SD Card. I had to replace the motherboard and I was worried that I would lose my save file in Pokémon Crystal. Fortunately I did not as apparently my SD Card apparently is picking it up and saying the file is corrupted.
But this is confusing. Didn't you have to completely re-install Pokemon Crystal and everything else after replacing your motherboard?

You're quite right that files created with your old motherboard would be encrypted differently, but they would also be stored in an entirely separate ID0 folder as well. What, exactly, did you do?

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh! Yes, you did say that.

But this is confusing. Didn't you have to completely re-install Pokemon Crystal and everything else after replacing your motherboard?

You're quite right that files created with your old motherboard would be encrypted differently, but they would also be stored in an entirely separate ID0 folder as well. What, exactly, did you do?
Yeah! I re-installed Pokemon Crystal from the E-shop and it works all fine with the new Motherboard but, it gives me the pop-up saying it is a corrupted save file and has to be initialized. I assume it can't read the save properly due to being encrypted differently.

I haven't done anything and just got the game on the system as you normally would.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah! I re-installed Pokemon Crystal from the E-shop and it works all fine with the new Motherboard but, it gives me the pop-up saying it is a corrupted save file and has to be initialized. I assume it can't read the save properly due to being encrypted differently.
So: you downloaded the game fresh from the eShop, and the first time you started it, it said the save data was corrupted..? If you weren't manipulating the files directly, I have no idea how that could possibly have happened.

You said you were still using your old SD card; do you have more than one ID0 folder in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder?

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So: you downloaded the game fresh from the eShop, and the first time you started it, it said the save data was corrupted..? If you weren't manipulating the files directly, I have no idea how that could possibly have happened.

You said you were still using your old SD card; do you have more than one ID0 folder in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder?
Yeah, there's three different ID0 folders.

Last edited by Donglo,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, okay then. Your old Pokemon Crystal data is in one of the old ID0 folders, and there's no way to use it again without decrypting it, and you definitely can't do that with Checkpoint. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Pokemon Crystal saying your data is corrupted – once again, I have no idea how that could have happened.

The general procedure for decrypting old save data is detailed in https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ . Make sure you read the first couple of posts in the thread.

• Wow
Reactions: rantex92

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, okay then. Your old Pokemon Crystal data is in one of the old ID0 folders, and there's no way to use it again without decrypting it, and you definitely can't do that with Checkpoint. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Pokemon Crystal saying your data is corrupted – once again, I have no idea how that could have happened.

The general procedure for decrypting old save data is detailed in https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ . Make sure you read the first couple of posts in the thread.
Okay, I got the folder and 00000001.metadata from the one ID0 folder and it worked but, it shows the same stuff with apparently the data being wiped. I am very confused as to why. Unless I chose the wrong IDO folder and I think I figured out which one is the right one.

I tried Decrypted it and am curious what I do from here exactly.

I tried again with now the Data showing up.

But, when I try restoring them on Checkpoint I noticed the sav.dat isn't being loaded and the save files aren't appearing in Crystal if I am missing something or did something wrong. I am not sure as I followed the guide and the thread very closely.

Last edited by Donglo,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I got the folder and 00000001.metadata from the one ID0 folder
I have absolutely no idea what "00000001.metadata" is.

and it worked
What worked? What, exactly, did you do? Have you noticed yet that I seem to be asking that question a lot?

I tried Decrypted it and am curious what I do from here exactly.
Same thing as before, for starters: open it in a hex editor and see if it's not completely blank, and then try converting it and opening it in pkhex. Is that what you did? Is that what you mean by "now the Data showing up"?

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have absolutely no idea what "00000001.metadata" is.

What worked? What, exactly, did you do? Have you noticed yet that I seem to be asking that question a lot?

Same thing as before, for starters: open it in a hex editor and see if it's not completely blank, and then try converting it and opening it in pkhex. Is that what you did? Is that what you mean by "now the Data showing up"?
I don't know what the metadata is either. It just gets created with the folder. Also, the sav.dat are 33 kb in size and appear blank in the hex editor as I assume it's still encrypted as I did Save Data Extraction.

What I have is the data is now showing up as the sav.dat was not showing up in the 000001 folder. So, that's what is working as I was figuring out which one was the right ID0 folder with the saved data.

It's showing data on HxD with some big sections with a bunch of zeros. But, it won't read on PKHex as it is saying the error I was getting before. What I meant by the data showing up was when ThreeSD was getting the sav.dat to finally show up. I guess I was going down the wrong ID0 folder and took time to figure it out.

I might not be explaining it the absolute best but, I'm trying as this is just foreign territory to me. But, I can provide screenshots if needed of what I've done.

I did notice when using ThreeSD that The ID0 folder that isn't getting the error is the blank sav.dat. It won't let me try the other ID0 folder that has saved data in the TitleID that matches Pokémon Crystal's. Could that one be the old one since it's probably not recognizing it being encrypted for my old motherboard?

(I kept editing this to show you my progress and me figuring this out.)

Okay, I think I know why it's not working for me. I don't have access to the boot9.bin and moveable.sed to decrypt my old ID0 folder as my old motherboard was not homebrewed and I wouldn't have a way of accessing those I assume. I still have the old motherboard but, I was told by a guy when I tried getting it repaired two months ago.

"the main motherboard has BLOD, where only blue light comes out, but nothing on the screens, and that's because the motherboard has been bent, and it essentially tore the CPU from the contact pads on the board (it does boot only when the pressure put onto the CPU, but once released - it's freezing and shuts off, the issue you had initially). The CPU is a BGA underfilled chip, so there is no way of fixing it from this point, it would require motherboard replacement."

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-30 233206.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-30 233206.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by Donglo,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I think I know why it's not working for me. I don't have access to the boot9.bin and moveable.sed to decrypt my old ID0 folder as my old motherboard was not homebrewed and I wouldn't have a way of accessing those I assume.
If you read the first few posts in https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ like I said you should be sure to do you would see that you didn't need to dump boot9.bin from your old motherboard.

But you do absolutely need your old moveable.sed to decrypt anything from an old ID0 folder. (Maybe that's not as clear as it could be, but what would you expect, considering you generally need to use your ID0 to mine moveable.sed in the first place?)

If you never installed homebrew on your old motherboard, then you can still mine your moveable.sed, but only if you have a Mii QR code generated on your old motherboard, or if you have access to another 3DS that has your old Friend Code registered in its Friend list. (Even if your old motherboard functions for a few minutes at a time, you could still conceivably generate a Mii QR code.)

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you read the first few posts in https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ like I said you should be sure to do you would see that you didn't need to dump boot9.bin from your old motherboard.

But you do absolutely need your old moveable.sed to decrypt anything from an old ID0 folder. (Maybe that's not as clear as it could be, but what would you expect, considering you generally need to use your ID0 to mine moveable.sed in the first place?)

If you never installed homebrew on your old motherboard, then you can still mine your moveable.sed, but only if you have a Mii QR code generated on your old motherboard, or if you have access to another 3DS that has your old Friend Code registered in its Friend list. (Even if your old motherboard functions for a few minutes at a time, you could still conceivably generate a Mii QR code.)
Yeah, I'll need to get spare 3DS to put my old motherboard in to try powering it up. I did move my Nintendo network ID to my repaired 3DS. Would it still have my Friend code information?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, Friend code (and encryption) is completely separate from NNID. They would get transferred together (along with everything else) if you did a System Transfer.

It is concerning that you have three ID0 folders on your card, especially if you only used it with your current unit and your old motherboard.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Friend code (and encryption) is completely separate from NNID. They would get transferred together (along with everything else) if you did a System Transfer.

It is concerning that you have three ID0 folders on your card, especially if you only used it with your current unit and your old motherboard.
Yeah, two ID0 folders have information and there's one that has no information on it at all.
So, one of the ID0 folders is from the new motherboard and one is from the old motherboard. I know which is which from testing with BruteForce site.

But, I think the third one is possibly from the previous person because when I first turned on the DS it had another person information on it but, none of their save data. I had Nintendo transfer my NNID to my repaired new motherboard which probably generated the new ID0 folder for that system.

So, What could I do if I can get my old motherboard to power on in a different 3DS?

Last edited by Donglo,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had Nintendo transfer my NNID to my repaired new motherboard which probably generated the new ID0 folder for that system.
Unless you did a System Format, having Nintendo transfer an NNID would not somehow generate a new ID0.

What could I do if I can get my old motherboard to power on in a different 3DS?
It doesn't really matter if it's a "different 3DS" – if it's your "old" motherboard, it's pretty much your "old" 3DS.

Are you only concerned about your Pokemon Crystal data? Because since it's a "New 3DS" (as per your first post), the easiest thing to do would be to use super-skaterhax to run JKSM and dump your save data. You would use JKSM instead of Checkpoint because JKSM does not require CFW to be installed – and you probably don't want to risk having your unit shut off partway through the CFW installation if your unit is not working well. Someone else was doing that recently at https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-ther...modded-3ds-to-emulation.640336/#post-10254989 .

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you did a System Format, having Nintendo transfer an NNID would not somehow generate a new ID0.

It doesn't really matter if it's a "different 3DS" – if it's your "old" motherboard, it's pretty much your "old" 3DS.

Are you only concerned about your Pokemon Crystal data? Because since it's a "New 3DS" (as per your first post), the easiest thing to do would be to use super-skaterhax to run JKSM and dump your save data. You would use JKSM instead of Checkpoint because JKSM does not require CFW to be installed – and you probably don't want to risk having your unit shut off partway through the CFW installation if your unit is not working well. Someone else was doing that recently at https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-ther...modded-3ds-to-emulation.640336/#post-10254989 .
Yeah, I'm mainly trying to get the Pokémon Crystal save data. So, do I have to run JKSM on the old motherboard system? I'll have to find myself a spare 3DS to put my old motherboard into to try and run it.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what I wrote in my post, yes. It would save you the trouble of having to obtain your moveable.sed via seedminer, which would be the alternative.
Alright, I will attempt to do that when I can find myself a spare New 3DS XL. I'll probably need a guide for running super-skaterhax to run JKSM to dump my save data. I honestly appreciate your help a lot.

I'll just have to see if the old motherboard can work as I'll need something to it pressed down on the side where the bottom screen as the CPU is on the back of the motherboard. The other option I figured which would be the most difficult and last possible solution would be swapping the NAND and CPU chips onto a different motherboard as they're tied and encrypted together.

Last edited by Donglo,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll probably need a guide for running super-skaterhax to run JKSM to dump my save data. I honestly appreciate your help a lot.
Perhaps you can show your appreciation by actually reading the things I link to..? Because you wouldn't be asking for a guide if you did that. :glare:

The other option I figured which would be the most difficult and last possible solution would be swapping the NAND and CPU chips onto a different motherboard as they're tied and encrypted together.
I'm pretty sure no one has done that, ever. Read again what was said by the guy who repaired it before.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you can show your appreciation by actually reading the things I link to..? Because you wouldn't be asking for a guide if you did that. :glare:

I'm pretty sure no one has done that, ever. Read again what was said by the guy who repaired it before.
Sorry, as I was getting a bit confused on my first read-through of the link. I understand it now. nothing wrong with asking questions or help. I'm trying to learn all this.

"from what i remember, i had the board out of the system, and i had to press on the other side of the board 9where the CPU is) which normally would be covered by the bottom screen to get it to boot to the menu, which would be impossible to do with the board still in the system. In that fragile state with all the parts mid-air, the smallest movement would make the system freeze and impossible to navigate the menu to do anything, so once i realized the issue (which i've seen many times before) - i didn't bother to see how long it would actually stay on, but i would say - it would be nearly impossible to recover data from this board in its current state"

I replied, saying I would also assume it's impossible to repair the board in the state it is in.

"no, because it's internally damaged. The only thing that can be done to retrieve the data is to get a working board and swap the CPU and NAND chips (which are tied and encrypted together) to a working board, but it all depends on how much you're willing to spend to get that data, because that procedure is extremely expensive (in the thousands of dollars)"

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In that fragile state with all the parts mid-air, the smallest movement would make the system freeze and impossible to navigate the menu to do anything, so once i realized the issue (which i've seen many times before) - i didn't bother to see how long it would actually stay on, but i would say - it would be nearly impossible to recover data from this board in its current state"
That does make it sound kind of unlikely that you'll be able to run super-skaterhax and JKSM. I might suggest using an ntrboot flash cartridge to start godmode9 (which should automatically write essential.exefs to your SD card), but it sounds like the board is so fragile that you might not even be able to start ntrboot.

Like I said – you could still obtain your moveable.sed even without access to the motherboard, but only if you have a Mii QR code generated, or if you have access to another 3DS that has your old Friend Code registered in its Friend list.

because that procedure is extremely expensive (in the thousands of dollars)
That's what I meant when I said I'm pretty sure no one has done that, ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto