After installing A9HL on 4 differnt 3DS', I dont see why people are scared to do it

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by wolven9, Sep 19, 2016.

1. wolven9
    OP

wolven9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    This is not a thread to bash people who aren't running A9HL. I'm just curios. I was cleaning out my old backup hard-drive recently and I got rid of a ton of stuff that I had stored when I was using menuhax that I don't need because I run A9HL. I had to jump through so many hoops when I used menuhax and I don't have any of those problems now. It's not hard to apply at all. Took me maybe an hour or two my first time and now it takes me less then that. Just an hour or two to save me from jumping through hoops, or using SD imaging tools to transfer my stuff to another SD card or a lifetime of waiting for it to boot and failing multiple times. If anyone needs help there are tons of people to help you through the process and a very detailed guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki. What are your thoughts?

gnmmarechal and Rfire like this.

2. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    A lot are paranoid or are novices at modding and exploiting consoles or have basic PC knowledge, which is why a lot are scared. Tbh, it all boils down to patience and reading, yet the older guides could have caused some issues with no lack of the 3DS for some, but the new guide is a piece of piss now and I supervised my 11 year old cousin doing his 3DS just recently. I didn't have to intervene at any point, just a few nods here and there, if some things were correct or not.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    New guide is bad. Old one was great without any error. lots of people having prob with the new al9h guide.

kbmarinha likes this.
  4. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    In some area like where i'm living, it's hard to find the people who actually have an ability to recover bricked 3DS. So I'm kind of understand how they feel.
    When I did mine, I have to repeat reading the guide too many times to make sure I won't make a mistake, or my 3DS will become a paperweight.

Why? I thinks the current one is good. You just have to make sure you done everything correct as the guide said.

Last edited by nechigawara, Sep 19, 2016
  5. MrGimper

MrGimper Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    I did one via DSIware System Transfer and if was a nervy thing. Thankfully many people on here offered great support so I got it done. Did another this weekend and had to make a few changes as 11.1 was now out, but it all worked well again.

6. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    It's not bad at all and saying so, is misleading to people who may want to do the install. A workman does not blame his tools.

7. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    I've had no problems whatsoever with the new guide. Honestly there really isn't any room for error. If your running menuhax then Part 1 shouldn't be a problem. Part 2 is basically just backing up your NAND and applying a new one and you should already know how to do that if your modding your 3DS in the first place. And Part 3 is the only one that might be considered "difficult". Just read carefully and have everything laid out before-hand and everything is easy-cheezy

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

*Gives a high-five*

retrofan_k likes this.
  8. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Good for you. No one helped me. I was begging for help on luma al9h installation but no one replied. So I had to do the things by myself.

9. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    I'm just curious if anyone around here has ever modded a wii? Soft modding mine back in the day gave me nightmares xD

soulskeeper likes this.
  10. MrGimper

MrGimper Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    I got mine hard-modded when it came out, and then soft-modded a few later on. Was also scary :)

kbmarinha and yuyuyup like this.
  11. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Of course. I don't think anyone was skittish about installing Bootmii to their console, but then again Bootmii didn't require that you downgraded your console to an ancient firmware that would brick it under normal circumstances.

DrkBeam and cvskid like this.
  12. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I did it about a year or so ago, I set up the HBL and BootMii in one night. I recently heard that there's a chance of bricking your Wii while doing the BootMii install, but I didn't know that at the time, so I wasn't nervous at all.

13. MrGimper

MrGimper Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    Still have an HD full of games hooked up to mine and use USB Loader :)

wolven9 likes this.
  14. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Well it's more-or-less having to mod specific sectors to get usb or gamecube games to work correctly lol Every time i turned around I was having to mess around with system files some how xD

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  15. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Did you use New 3DS?

16. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    O3DS XL and 2DS aren't made to run 2.1 firmware either.
    The screen glitches badly in the 2DS's case.

17. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    From what I've seen, people around here are super helpful. I can't imagine that you didn't get help when asked - Mind linking to the thread?

gnmmarechal and LongTimeLurker like this.
  18. wolven9
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    The end of the world
    Sorry we were off-topic talking about the wii lol

19. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    o3dsXL is exactly the same as the o3ds, except for the larger screen. The fact that it's on 2.1 makes 0 difference, it runs exactly like o3ds.

20. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    The o3DS is literally the same thing as the o3DS, just larger.
    With the 2DS that makes sense, though. But having a glitchy screen isn't going to brick you.

EDIT: Ninja'd

gnmmarechal, NutymcNuty and wolven9 like this.