Hacking Ace3DS Team released a hybrid card that comes with a 3DS rom

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I don't get it. Why bundle a game instead of making it rewritable like the EZflash 3in1? They don't have to hack 3DS mode, they can just mimic the original hardware of 3DS game carts except make the flash chip rewritable, and give you the ability to write the ROM to it while the switch is in DS mode. If they did this, you'd have the first flashcart capable of playing 3DS ROMs, even though writing ROMs like that would make it significantly more complicated/slower than what we're used to.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think the game is a bootleg. They are actually taking a retail cartridge out of the package, soldering it to their new board with a switch between it and the ACE3DS with the express purpose of not having to carry two games. If they get a Mario or Pokemon game, unless they "acquired" a shipment of cartridges, they're going to have to charge retail price of the game PLUS the flashcart. That's why it's on the Japanese Baseball 2011 cartridge, it's just like if they were to put it on a Madden 2011, or PES 2011 cartridge, they're dirt cheap.
That would require adding hardware to an already full game card. Doesn't seem likely to me.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it. Why bundle a game instead of making it rewritable like the EZflash 3in1? They don't have to hack 3DS mode, they can just mimic the original hardware of 3DS game carts except make the flash chip rewritable, and give you the ability to write the ROM to it while the switch is in DS mode. If they did this, you'd have the first flashcart capable of playing 3DS ROMs, even though writing ROMs like that would make it significantly more complicated/slower than what we're used to.
Dude, even SNES games were able to realize when they were running on hardware that didn't exactly match the original cart they came on...

And various games use various carts.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
And other SNES games too.
http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_All-Stars
As a means of copy protection, all versions of Super Mario All-Stars perform a check to see how much SRAM is present: the game writes a value to $702000, then compares it with the value at $700000. If the values match (due to address mirroring), it means 8 KB of SRAM is present and the cart is likely genuine...but if the values are different, it means more than 8 KB of SRAM is present and the game is likely running on a copier. If the latter scenario occurs, the game stops and throws up a warning message.

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would require adding hardware to an already full game card. Doesn't seem likely to me.

They aren't adding hardware, all they need to do is make a new version of the ace3DS with a switch that activates it or passes through to the 3DS game(think gamegenie or gameshark) Depending on the space needed, they can cut off all the pins and only use the contacts (the little gold dots above the white lettering) and still be safe. It might be a tight fit, but they could sandwich two circuit boards in a custom cartridge. They have access to materials and factories that can print whatever they need.
29c1is2.jpg

(Borrowed from Critica1)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I know little about these sort of Anti-Piracy checks, but if a sort of onboard CPU controlled access to the SRAM (or whatever sort of save chip they use) chip could it not fake the size of the SRAM?
Potentially. I do know there were a LOT of SNES cart copier machines, but I'm only 25, I wasn't active back in that day so I don't know any specifics about how they work... but seeing as the later games are the ones with the more complex AP, it stands to reason new cart copiers were made to handle it.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Potentially. I do know there were a LOT of SNES cart copier machines, but I'm only 25, I wasn't active back in that day so I don't know any specifics about how they work... but seeing as the later games are the ones with the more complex AP, it stands to reason new cart copiers were made to handle it.

Right, I dont know much about cartridge copiers either.
But in theory, if there was a flashable ROM chip and a large enough SRAM chip with a little processor of some sort sitting between it and the 3DS, that chip would be able to make the 3DS see only the ROM and save chip exactly how expected and the only visible difference would be in timing... At least, how I see it.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't even consider this news and this is more illegal than using a regular flashkit. It's pretty much a DS flashcart with a bootleg 3DS game on it. I don't see the appeal to be honest.

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't even consider this news and this is more illegal than using a regular flashkit. It's pretty much a DS flashcart with a bootleg 3DS game on it. I don't see the appeal to be honest.
The only reason people are even posting here is because OP put the words "Flashcart" with "3DS ROM" as the topic. They were hopeful it would be the first 3DS flashcart, but all that it does is attach a "Genuine 3DS Game" and the Ace3DS to a switch in a single cart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь