A law firm has begun an investigation for a class action lawsuit on Nintendo over Joy-Con drift

new-joy-con-1563458834681.jpg

Joy-Con connectivity issues have plagued Nintendo Switch owners since the launch of the console, more than two years ago. Recently, Joy-Con drift has become a topic of interest once more, due to fans vocally expressing their disappointment. With no real solution in sight, it appears that a law firm is stepping in to see if they can make things happen. The law firm, called Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP, is a three-decade old institution that focuses on class action lawsuits. According to CSK&D, they have begun an investigation into a possible class-action lawsuit against Nintendo for selling faulty Joy-Cons that have phantom input and interfere with gaming.

You can fill out the form in the link below to offer your personal experiences with your Joy-Cons to help give the firm more information to work with. If enough reports come in, then CSK&D will move forward with their lawsuit. Whether this will result in a solution or even make it to court is unclear, but the threat of legal action could perhaps spur Nintendo into coming up with a fix or revision for future Joy-con releases.

:arrow: Source

3DSMaster2019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@cucholix @ploggy let's settle this
Got a taste of the same medicine that Nintendo loves so much.
Hope they get their asses kicked as karma for what they've done to fan projects and the emulation scene.

Listen, I get that you're mad but Nintendo is most of the time the influence that inspired you guys to create those things in the first place, without nintendo you wouldn't have them at all.

YetoJesse

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This "drift" issue.. lol...

To be fair, I have this on both my PS4 and Switch... and than sometimes it randomly disappears. I always thought it was just dust...

Miss the time when this "drift" was just me pushing the joystick while the game was loading.

Reactions: DarthDub

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ah, finally someone makes noise.
Everyone should look at this: https://imgur.com/gallery/58bBc43

Explains and shows clearly the reason on why joycons have the drift, and shockingly, is something that will happen eventually regardless how you take care of your jc's, or even how many times you get them fixed/replaced, the only fix for Nintendo is to release a Joycon 2.0 with different analog stick hardware.

It is very upsetting that this major issue wasn't addressed before Nintendo released the switch, it was obvious that a problem like this would happen, or maybe they knew.

Anyway, I hope this lawsuit has success, I'm sick of companies that are aware of issues that affect it's consumers money and do nothing actually useful to make a real hardware fix.

Last edited by DSoryu,
Reactions: Xabring

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for the reply, my R button got bent and snapped off and i noticed that happening to many people online. After reading your reply maybe its a soldering or manufacturing problem and not a design flaw.
As for the flex cable, I had a DS with that problem, but as for the Switch, they bent the flex cable like completely over the battery so the plastic is already distorted and semi broken and with vibrations of the rumble and stuff it starts to get worse. So yeah i'm still convinced it's a design flaw just as the flex cable on the DS was totally a design flaw of the barrel holding the flex and eventually chewing it.
Sounds like an assembly error on the flex and some dry joints on the pins or uneven placement of the microswitch, you were quite unlucky. The front anchors should've prevented the switch from bending back, and naturally the flex shouldn't be distorted or melted in any way. On second thought, perhaps running it under the cell and protecting it with a layer of kapton tape would've been a better idea. Better yet, they could just run it on the other side of the board altogether. Something they should definitely consider in future Joycon revisions. In the current revision you could protect it with a bit of tape or felt, that would mitigate the "rubbing" effect of the rumble motor. To be fair though, it's hard to predict those things ahead of time, that's why every brand new console has a lot more DOA and RMA'd units than the future revisions.

Reactions: tatumanu

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest. Not my problem. that's Nintendo's problem. Since Nintendo don't care about us but their profits money. I hope Nintendo lost!

Reactions: THYPLEX

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft controllers have the same problem. If you’re lucky enough to not have one drift, one of or both bumpers fall off. Yet no one has sued them.

Sony fixes this issue starting with the ps3. DS dead zone auto adjust every time the console is restarted

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Now it's pure lazyness on dev/pubs part and the consumers are the testers.
Actually, you have consumer demand to blame for this. With the rise of streaming and on-demand services, everyone expects instant gratification, thus resulting in quicker deadlines. Publishers want to meet this demand in order to keep customers satiated like the ravenous fiends that they are. This has unfortunately created the "fuck it, send it and patch later" mentality amongst publishers. Your experience from over a decade ago isn't relevant anymore.

D

Deleted User

As far as I'm concerned, they could just make the console a little thicker and use a standard analog assembly.

Considering your knowledge in this field, what is your opinion regarding the SmachZ configuration ?

front-main-console.png

The analog stick looks prominent, but the two haptic steam-pad seem robust and well placed. Your feeling ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Considering your knowledge in this field, what is your opinion regarding the SmachZ configuration ?

front-main-console.png

The analog stick looks prominent, but the two haptic steam-pad seem robust and well placed. Your feeling ?
My feeling about this Vaporware is that, if they ever actually release the damn thing, it will be about as robust as a normal analog stick assembly known from controllers far and wide - they use the exact same tech. In fact, the ones in the PS4 and the Xbox One are exactly the same, it's a generic, ubiquitous part. The ones in standard controllers probably last a little longer than the Switch ones because the motion is radial, the wiper contact goes around an axis. On the Switch it goes back and forth, like a match against a matchbox, so I imagine it experiences more force, but I'm not sure about that, I'm by no means an expert, I just like to tinker. Kudos for the images @Dartz150, very informative link!
333de699-f9b1-43ac-8de6-e30b1a0b98e9.jpg
Standard assembly
Nh7MGK0_d.jpg xTdYbzw_d.jpg
Switch assembly

Reactions: Deleted User

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just over one year and my left one started drifting, not paying nintendo $40, bought the kit for $8 and fixed it myself

ROMANREIGNS599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who didn’t already buy a Switch would have an advantage when they buy a better Joy Con Switch.

But what about those who already payed for this shit and even live in countries where there aren’t common Nintendo products, I’m one of them..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clean metaphor, now I understand the issue thanks.
Do you know if the haptic pad of the steam-controller is robust and handy ?
No idea. It's a touchpad, it has no moving parts, so I don't see how it would break. It's essentially the same part as a touchpad on the DS4 or on a laptop, just round. No moving parts means no mechanical faults, only electrical ones, but I'm skeptical regarding how comfortable those pads are in practice. I remember @Veho swearing by it, but I never tried it myself.

ncedSsmabZxkAjmt.jpg QTIWmJGgfMVSYTMe.jpg

Miyuuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good thing! I have this drift problem on both my joycons, I had to replace them with fear that soon I get the same drifting problem... and I do take really good care of them to not drop and clean it whenever I can.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sounds like an assembly error on the flex and some dry joints on the pins or uneven placement of the microswitch, you were quite unlucky. The front anchors should've prevented the switch from bending back, and naturally the flex shouldn't be distorted or melted in any way. On second thought, perhaps running it under the cell and protecting it with a layer of kapton tape would've been a better idea. Better yet, they could just run it on the other side of the board altogether. Something they should definitely consider in future Joycon revisions. In the current revision you could protect it with a bit of tape or felt, that would mitigate the "rubbing" effect of the rumble motor. To be fair though, it's hard to predict those things ahead of time, that's why every brand new console has a lot more DOA and RMA'd units than the future revisions.
Exactly! Yeah I'm usually unlucky in the Nintendo handheld department... :( but i admit I am mainly a handheld gamer so i do use it heavily + I usually get the first batch of consoles + kids!
I do agree with you, sure I'm frustrated, but you can't predict everything at launch of a product. But Nintendo should act more quickly about this as it's been 2 years now. The R button and flex cable issues are needing some more thought into also besides the bad thumb sticks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Tonight's nightmare sponsored but G-Fuel! lolo