Nintendo is facing yet another class action lawsuit over Joy-Con drift

new-joy-con-1563458834681.jpg

Nintendo is facing yet another legal fight over the Switch's Joy-Cons. After dealing with filings in both Europe and the United States, it's now Canada's turn. Lambert Avocat is a Quebec law firm that has just filed a class-action lawsuit against Nintendo over Joy-Con drift, claiming that the defect goes against the Consumer Protection Act. Joy-Con drift continues to be a rampant issue for the company, which is in the midst of multiple lawsuits regarding the controllers, in Washington and Illinois, where cases have headed to arbitration, as well as France and the UK. Currently, this latest case is awaiting approval from the court, and if it moves on, the class action lawsuit hopes to obtain compensation for affected users.

The « Joy-Con Drift » constitutes an important, serious and hidden defect, because:

• the consumers wouldn’t have brought the defective gaming systems or controllers or wouldn’t have paid such high price, had they known their reduced product lifespan because of the defect;
  • the defect prevents the products in performing a function for which they were bought for and causes inconvenience to consumers;
  • the defect was not revealed by Nintendo;
  • the consumers were not able to detect the default through an ordinary examination of the products.

:arrow: Source

Vineezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Nintendo had plenty of money to go after the hacking scene, but apparently didn't have enough to make functional controllers.

Exactamundo. Most "hackers" are legit fans of Ninty, and I would legit hack my Switch just for emulation (because of the sucky SNES/NES Online Service and the cash-grab 3D All Stars) but I'm scared of getting the almighty and powerful Nintendo banhammer because I still wanna play online (Among Us and Mario Kart 8) but still have an emulation haven at my fingertips. I would LEGIT sell my left kidney to play some Gamecube/N64 games legitimately on my Switch (without Nintendo's lazy emulation). I feel so conflicted.

Anyways, yeah, it's EXTREMELY offensive that Nintendo has an unlimited budget when taking innocent hackers to court, but refuse to fix a MAJOR flaw in their console design.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Exactamundo. Most "hackers" are legit fans of Ninty, and I would legit hack my Switch just for emulation (because of the sucky SNES/NES Online Service and the cash-grab 3D All Stars) but I'm scared of getting the almighty and powerful Nintendo banhammer because I still wanna play online (Among Us and Mario Kart 8) but still have an emulation haven at my fingertips. I would LEGIT sell my left kidney to play some Gamecube/N64 games legitimately on my Switch (without Nintendo's lazy emulation). I feel so conflicted.

Anyways, yeah, it's EXTREMELY offensive that Nintendo has an unlimited budget when taking innocent hackers to court, but refuse to fix a MAJOR flaw in their console design.

Everyone pirates, don't feel bad, i hold stock in nintendo so in a way I've "paid" them...and it's paid me ;)

Reactions: DarkCoffe64
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the pots becoming worn, it's litterally unavoidable and only happens after years of using a controller everyday whereas joycon drift happens quickly with minimal use.
Yeah actually a brand new set of Joy-Cons I bought had drift on one of the controllers on day one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Theses sadly hold no ground because the pieces still show sings of wear, so in court Nintendo could simply show brand new joycons with no drift and then show sticks with drift and make their case that users simply play too rough.

It's not like they're programmed to start drifting after XX amount of hours or when a new color is out...

Yes they're fragile and they shouldn't be.
Brand new ones do it too. I know from experience.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i never used a joy-con so i can't say much about em..... does the switch lite get drift?
Apparently, yes. And seeing as how you can't detach them, you'd have to send the entire unit to get it fixed. I've got two pairs on standby in case my OG launch JCs get drift which hasn't happened, thankfully. Nintendo should really look into investing in better parts rather than cheaply made analogs and boards. It kind of sucks that you pay around $50 to $60 for a hunk of plastic and wires that breaks easily.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently, yes. And seeing as how you can't detach them, you'd have to send the entire unit to get it fixed. I've got two pairs on standby in case my OG launch JCs get drift which hasn't happened, thankfully. Nintendo should really look into investing in better parts rather than cheaply maid analogs and boards. It kind of sucks that you pay around $50 to $60 for a hunk of plastic and wires that breaks easily.

What's worse the BOM and assembly cost for ninty is probably less than $25

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, if I actually cared about the Joycons, I'd be upset about the drift too. Too bad I'm using the superior Pro Controller instead, so I don't really think this lawsuit will do any good.

It can force nintendo to fix the joycons, provide refunds/rebates, imagine if they make em do a factory recall....

Reactions: DarkCoffe64

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...I knew it had something to do with a car accident, but I had originally thought he was a pedestrian. he was also the inventor of the virtual boy I believe, and he blamed Nintendo for its failure, citing that they didn't give him enough time. yoshi loosely could be translated as companion, but I think Miyamoto said the name was based off Yokoi, because they were friends. that's what I remember without looking anything up. lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't use my joy cons much. I've only used them with odyssey, because the motion controls with the pro controller are awkward. I never encountered joy con drift with either of my two switches though.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but I beat that main bonus stage, the crater one with 15 parts or so, after having a smoke many times and with the pro controller. not using this pipe (this is the pipe my sister got me for Christmas). I smoked with a separate marijuana pipe, and that got me "eye of the tiger." :P

20210123_205223.jpg

Hylianzero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For someone who has their hobbies in this field. The Joycon is quite finicky to work with, as there's quite a few ribbon cables and parts to disassemble. Furthermore it requires a semi-proprietary tri-wing screwdriver to open. I'd give them a pass if this was as easy as changing the buttons/joystick in something like an Xbox Elite controller, but the Joycon is way more complicated than that. I've had 3 other people straight up buy a new pair of Joycons due to this issue.

I've fixed 20+ joycon at this point. Watching a youtube video and having good lighting and the tools is enough for anyone who can physically perform the task. It's not as bad as people think it is, though the stuff is pretty small.

But don't get me wrong, fuck Nintendo for this.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually never got drift again ever since I got them replaced for free by Nintendo. Sony should be getting sued by people because EVERY single ps4 controller I own has stick issues and they just get worse (tbf they go through heavy use)

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I made this picture for some ppl. This is the main reason why the Joycon Drift. Smal particles of dirt,dust,hair ,etc.Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited by Blavla,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn