A law firm has begun an investigation for a class action lawsuit on Nintendo over Joy-Con drift

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 19, 2019.

1. seseiSeki

seseiSeki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    Germany
    This is the first time I heard about this "Joy Con Drift" problem. But it seems to be a big thing.
    The only issue I experience, is a laggy right Joy Con. Sometimes, especially when playing Mario Kart, my right Joy Con would eat my ZR presses, leaving me unable to drift.

2. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Vultures jumping on some nonsense.

Nintendo replaces faulty joycons, I have yet to hear about drifting sticks out of the box, there is nothing to lawsuit against here.

3. Shiranui-san

Shiranui-san GBAtemp Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Hope the lawyers include phantom inputs from Pro Controller D-pad as well.
    Nintendo, who recently said that they want to reinvent next-gen controller..... :unsure:

4. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    I sold my switch while back. However, I personally never had this issue. But, damn, I've seen a lot talking about this. I'm glad this is being done. But, jesus, this is an extreme case over messed up controllers.

5. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    About time. I was fully expecting them to come out with a position about this upon announcement of the new models, but Nintendo without Iwata is just a JOKE.

False. Most JoyCons start drifting just over a year after use, and then they want 40 fucking dollars to replace the stick. Thieves.

THYPLEX and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    Well... yeah, I had to fix my left Joy-Con, yesterday I bought I new Switch for my nieces, let’s see if it has been solved or if it has the same problem. In meanwhile, I’ll sign this lawsuite.

7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    game publishers releasing Beta version games as finished products is more destructive then joy-con drift. That law firm should do a class action lawsuit against publishers that release beta-ware are complete...

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Yep, couldn't agree more. I was a QA tester for 5 years (2000-2005) for a major company and everything had to be tight as possible before consumer release.

Now it's pure lazyness on dev/pubs part and the consumers are the testers.

10. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    My joycon started drifting literally a month after I got my switch. I can't afford to buy a new set of joycons, and I would prefer not to have to, considering it's definitely just going to happen again. I'm hoping this lawsuit goes through, but I doubt I still have my receipt to actually prove I bought it.

MarkDarkness and sawao_yama like this.
  11. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    I must be one of the lucky few. Still have my launch day joycons with no drifting at all

12. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Planned obsolescence is at least likely. With the price of replacement joycons, and Nintendo not acting on the issue.

If you play mostly in handheld maybe buy a hori joycon to ease the wear and tare ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Licensed-Version-Switch/dp/B07FSR93MQ/ ) on the left stick.

It has no rumble, and no bluetooth. But it has a proper digipad, a propper stick that doesnt seem to suffer from the issue, and its comparatively cheap. It also lowers the weight of the switch which makes me wish Nintendo would have licensed them a right side Joycon version as well. I use it probably 95% of the time.

Or get into replacing the joysticks yourself if the problem arises - which might be the most cost effective way to combat it.

Last edited by notimp, Jul 19, 2019
    Buurmanzz92 and MarkDarkness like this.
  13. HinaNaru Cutie

HinaNaru Cutie GBAtemp Regular

Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Camden, New Jersey
    My fucking gosh i am SO glad that they are getting a possible lawsuit for there cruddy ass joycon sticks :/. Seriously, my bestie legit bought me a switch as a gift -new one, and the damn joycon ended up getting a joycon drift out of the blue. -I legit thought that myabe it was me? But, nope.. -_-" apparently this is a constant problem on nintendo switch freaking joycons. Ugh -it's so annoying cause to actually fix this is either; take it apart yourself or buy a new one, and i have had this switch for one year now, and i cannot afford a damn 40$ joycon >:v shits expensive as fck. So, i am just trying to use it, and make it work until i can get money to buy a dang joycon since i cannot fix it myself.

I would love to fix it, but cannot do so.

14. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    They can't. Trust, it really is for reasons.
    With the new Switch units, it will be fixed.

15. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    When did MS had faulty controllers ? I don't remember that at all

Subtle Demise likes this.
  16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    my joycons are fine and i have a launch day switch lol.

DarthDub and banjo2 like this.
  17. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    You can bet I'll be filling that out. My second pair of joycons the right stick drifts now as well, and it does it really badly too. So all my joycons drift except one.
    You can bet I'll be filling that out. My second pair of joycons the right stick drifts now as well, and it does it really badly too. So all my joycons drift except one.
    I could care less about getting any money out of it. I just want Nintendo to be held responsible for their product which has known issues like that since launch, and still has those issues. I would honestly rather see Nintendo forced to repair a pair of joycons per person even if they're out of warranty.

These are $80/pair controllers, so replacing them is expensive.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jul 19, 2019
    MarkDarkness, burt111 and sawao_yama like this.
  18. Pixen

Pixen Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    Sweden
    I hope we get a 10€ coupon for the eshop. Not because I don't have issues because I don't treat any device like trash. But because I don't treat any device like hot trash.

19. CorpseFlower

CorpseFlower Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    United States
    Elite controller had a sorta bad launch idk if it is a problem anymore it seems they fixed it.

I personally like Microsoft controllers other then its bad dpad on 360 but 360 controller from 2011 till work perfectly fine today other than rubber worn down and same for my GC controller from 03.
    I feel like Nintendo designers just don't put as much effort anymore. Like the joycons have flat remote kind of design so they can split among 2 people.
    But the switch lite has flat back and it makes no sense it cant be docked and it meant to be held in hand so no effort was made for grip comfort.
    I also feel the joystick drift maybe due to internal size of joystick being small so it becomes more fragile.

kumikochan likes this.
  20. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    My Switch stays in the case when not in use, and I've never thrown or hit a joycon with any serious force, but I have 3 drifting joycons.

burt111 and sawao_yama like this.