A law firm has begun an investigation for a class action lawsuit on Nintendo over Joy-Con drift

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 19, 2019.

1. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    That's fine with me. What I want is for Nintendo to be forced to address the issue. I don't care if I never get a dime. I just want the next pair I buy to not drift.

I'm still using the same SNES, Gamecube, and PS1 controllers that came with my systems I bought ages ago with no problems.

Spladam, THYPLEX, codezer0 and 2 others like this.
  2. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    From what I'v seen in teardowns, it's not the size. It's because the sticks are cheaply made and inherently flawed. Its very very easy for the sensor to be damaged to the point that it simply detects movement all the time. Even cheap third party joycons that use the same sized sticks don't end up with drift from what I understand, and they're intentionally made cheap.

sawao_yama and Xabring like this.
  3. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
    Yeah, for a cool $30 USD, or at least that was the price quoted to me when I called them, which wildly outstrips the cost of ordering a replacement stick yourself.

I had this exact issue render a stick unusable right around the time I was playing Mega Man 11, and more recently, the same issue cropped up on two more sticks. I'd like it if this suit at least brought attention to an issue Nintendo seems completely content ignoring.

Spladam, burt111 and sawao_yama like this.
  4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Nintendo didn't go all-in on the Switch at first, hedging their bets against another Wii U. Picking up ancient 20 nm tegra x1 chips and the only cheapass analog sticks at that size that were already being made in China. To fix the issue they have to get into the manufacturing of that part instead of relying on the existing flawed one, which is expensiveish and why I'm sure they are hoping they can keep sweeping the issue under the rug.

5. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    That's...something not everyone feels skilled or/and comfortable enough to do. But it is indeed cost effective. 10 bucks vs 40 of the whole joy-con...unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem long term. Probably why the lawsuit is being made, I suspect.

RedBlueGreen, burt111 and notimp like this.
  6. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    I hear about Joy-Con drift all the damn time, but I can't say I've ever experienced it. Does it have to do with how often one uses the Joy-Cons or something?

7. Budsixz

Budsixz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2018
    India
    Someone on youtube showed that they drift because of a material inside wears down, making a sort of powder that goes everywhere ruining stuff

8. EduAAA

EduAAA Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2017
    Spain
    I don't get it, if it is a factory defect they have to replace them for free because of the warranty...

9. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    I've disassembled the Joy-Con and analog stick probably 5 times. And I don't even have my Switch for a year. Though buying it used might be the issue...

10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    As someone who's in the middle of trying to mod some Joy-Cons with Basstop D-Pad shells right at this moment, it is a pain, especially when you have to either down a bunch of Mountain Dew to stay awake after finishing just disassembling the thing without breaking it (which I fear I did more than once with some of the ribbon cables, though I tend to be somewhat paranoid about handling small electronic devices, especially proprietary ones that can have hard-to-impossible to fix issues if you fuck up. Even better when Nintendo announces the totally-not-gba-sp-equivalent Switch refresh that fixes one of the Switch's biggest issues in portable mode and does it in a way that makes the Switch Lite DOA for those of us nerds who are informed about what Nintendo has coming down the pipeline) just so you'll show up for work on time for your 2nd shift retail job, or disassemble it, try to find all of the small size screws you dropped on a floor that isn't plain white, which makes trying to find these things a major PITA until you realize you fucked up hard and probably just wasted $60+ on Joy-Cons that you can't even re-assemble completely now because using regular Phillips-head screwdrivers is apparently so and inefficient that it'll make people just wish there was a Hori Joy-Con that had the functionality of the regular left Joy-Con that's actually important for fighting games and not the few games that use HD Rumble effectively or motion controls in a meaningful way.

11. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    So you're not using your Switch in handheld mode?

Me myself had to go and buy replacement joycons twice and now my girlfriend has got drifting issues with one of her joycons as well...

THYPLEX likes this.
  12. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Why can't Canadians fill this out? All I see are US states in the drop down menu...

13. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    My left one recently started drifting, I've died so many times in doom during the platforming sections from it... They're a bit chunky but I can't wait for these:

AlexMCS likes this.
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    pro controller FTW

15. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I never knew about this before now, but thinking about it my kids switch has one right joycon that always goes right when no one is touching it. Is this drift??

Either way I’m gonna grab some replacement sticks from Amazon and replace the faulty one. By the time this case concludes and if it wins, it could be years.

16. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    I had the drifting issue awhile back, but managed to fix it myself. Haven't run into any drifting issue since. Don't know what to feel about this.

17. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I have three pairs of joy cons and two of them have horrible joystick drift, I really only use the third pair of joy cons now but this one too is developing a drift. I have never experienced a Nintendo controller that degrades so easily and quickly than the Joycons do.

THYPLEX likes this.
  18. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Long story short, it is an outrage that Nintendo raised the prices for their controllers while cutting costs and asking an enormous amount of money for a controller that is cheaply made and as cheaply as it can possible be

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

well if they'll be under 35 euro then i would consider those since it can't be used wireless, has no battery inside it and is missing a ton of features. Pricing it should be around 25 euro's/ dollars but knowing Hori they'll ask around 50 wich is just 2 much for a controller lacking a battery, features and wireless function. EDIT: After seeing the video they're asking 50 euro, what a fucking scam

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 19, 2019
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There is very little Nintendo could do about the issue, even if they tried to resolve it. Potentiometers are just not reliable, they're highly susceptible to wear and tear because the carbon races are very soft in order to facilitate smooth operation. They could use races made of harder resin, I suppose, but they all wear down eventually. This weakness of analog stick assemblies isn't exactly news, it hits all controller manufacturers, some more than others. It's one of the reasons why Sony never used pots for their analog triggers (they use force sensitive resistors) and Microsoft switched away from them on the One (they use Hall effect sensors) - the moment they had a feasible alternative, they ditched the failure point. Sadly, the same cannot be done for the sticks.

Xzi and Torina like this.
  20. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2018
    France
    Thanks for these technical info.

The VITA 2000 is a textbook example of faulty sticks, Nintendo just did the same.
    But I see a simple way to manage it: "Software calibration"...
    Just let us edit the dead zone
    and BAM, your "not so eternal sitcks" can be used way longer (with a simple default setting to avoid mistakes).

No stick calibration makes me think of sheer planned obsolesence.

Xabring likes this.