1. delete12345

OP delete12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    A class action lawsuit that claims Microsoft distributed faulty Xbox controllers has been compelled to arbitration.

This follows a call from the company made back in February to have an impartial adjudicator resolve the issues outside of the courtroom.

The case, filed in April 2020 by US law firm CSK&D, alleges that a high volume of Xbox players have been affected by drifting issues caused by general use of the controller. The firm also filed similar cases against Sony and Nintendo.

However, CSK&D remains committed to recuperating damages outside of court, and has reportedly received a "sufficient volume" of defective controllers to support the case.

An expert examination of the Xbox One controllers concluded that that stick drift is caused by a design flaw in the potentiometer -- which is "the mechanism that translates the physical movement of the thumbstick into movement within the video game."

Read more here. (GamesIndustry.biz)

Xzi likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I had missed that there even was one going on for xbox/MS.

Wonder how many pennies some people with hard to prove purchases will get some pennies in about 5 years.

3. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    "made back in February to have an impartial adjudicator" impartial my ass we all know the company picks a bias corporate slime bucket who either A) works closely with the said company but not in (that will draw too much attention and force it back into the courtroom as the Monster Energy V Olympic Eagle case/arbitration was) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jayadkisson/2019/12/21/monster-energy-sees-arbitration-judgment-vacated-for-inadequate-disclosures-by-arbitrator-and-concerns-over-repeat-player-bias/?sh=44cc9792e564

or B) get's bribed to turn in their favor

Last edited by chrisrlink, Apr 19, 2021
    SuzieJoeBob likes this.
  4. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    An XB1 controller is the only one I've ever had drift on me, and my launch joycons are still working perfectly.

That said, I don't know when people started believing that controller joysticks are these indestructible marvels of engineering which ignore the laws of physics. N64 sticks slowly loosen over time to the point of becoming useless. Same with Gamecube sticks, but they also lose their rubber padding over time. Now that it's confirmed both PS5 controllers and Xbox controllers are prone to drift, I think we can safely say that nothing lasts forever. Take care of your peripherals.

rad140 likes this.
  5. notrea11y

notrea11y GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    About that...

As for me..
    Joycons from OG switch drifted after 1 month (Playing too much DamonPS2 and Switchroot ftl ?)

Lite I got 4 months ago is still going strong.
    Albeit I got replacement for the sticks just in case

Bottomline.
    All vendors are affected (by lawsuits that is.)
    XBone, NSwitch, PS5. Huh.

Last edited by notrea11y, Apr 20, 2021
    Xzi likes this.
  6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    everybody wants to be like nintendo!

7. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    so this is a story of an ordinary man single handily won lawsuit versus a wealthiest company on earth.

8. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Has a PhD in dueling

United States
    I consider Arbitration as a loss I rather drag someone through the mud in court than settle through arbitration

9. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Since basically all controllers generation-after-generation share the exact same analog mechanisms, I'm surprised there aren't companies that cater to replacing these analogs on devices, or even creating competing mechanisms. I guess it's probably simply not cost-effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - arbitration, controller, Microsofts