Hacking 3DS rom dump info

nickfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know. But it may have something to do with roms loading from the SD. AND .app file i'll guess are apps that aren't saved on ram like Netfilx or Nintendo Video

I just bought a Blue/Black 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled on the SD Card. On the card there is folder structure like this:

- DCIM
|
+- 100NIN03 (it's the folder where the pics get stored)
- Nintendo 3DS
|
+- 9a24bc4467d2e389849f758287798754
|
+- d522a4443eb54998746577c47d528e98
| |
| +- dbs (contains files import.db and title.db)
| |
| +- extdata (contains a bunch of subfolders and files)
| |
| +- title
| |
| +- 00040000
| |
| +- 00030800 (contains subfolders content and data with .app files)
| |
| [...]
|
+- Private

Now, the folder names I highlighted in red are exactly the USA Mario Kart 7 titleid (0004000000030800) as per http://3ds.essh.co/ and, in fact, the .app file contained in it is the biggest of all the files on the SD Card (around 600MB). Anyboody knows how to extract/convert the .app files from .3ds?

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a Blue/Black 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7 preinstalled on the SD Card. On the card there is folder structure like this:

- DCIM
|
+- 100NIN03 (it's the folder where the pics get stored)
- Nintendo 3DS
|
+- 9a24bc4467d2e389849f758287798754
|
+- d522a4443eb54998746577c47d528e98
| |
| +- dbs (contains files import.db and title.db)
| |
| +- extdata (contains a bunch of subfolders and files)
| |
| +- title
| |
| +- 00040000
| |
| +- 00030800 (contains subfolders content and data with .app files)
| |
| [...]
|
+- Private

Now, the folder names I highlighted in red are exactly the USA Mario Kart 7 titleid (0004000000030800) as per http://3ds.essh.co/ and, in fact, the .app file contained in it is the biggest of all the files on the SD Card (around 600MB). Anyboody knows how to extract/convert the .app files from .3ds?

Exactly! At least we're getting somewhere^_^ 3D Land and MK 7 are probably app files but so would stuff like Swapnote, right? Since I looked in my E-Shop history after setting up internet and saw it was downloaded.
And about downloaded games being hard-coded to the system, can you transfer games via 3DS transfer? Because maybe games could be transferred like Pokemon can be transferred by DNS code to the GTS?

abdelmajidtolba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Link 6 and i'll believe you. I mean holy SHI- Shizerz man [around] 200?!
http://asfile.com/file/Mfh3QOG
i also have almost all 3ds covers some are high res.
BTW pong is there a way i can find a folder or soft that i just open showing me all the 237 roms with covers and dir name cause that i'm sick tired of using the 3ds xml that shows only the first 153 roms.
or atleast a way for me to create a dat (tired of waiting,have alot of spare time) ?

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
BTW pong is there a way i can find a folder or soft that i just open showing me all the 237 roms with covers and dir name cause that i'm sick tired of using the 3ds xml that shows only the first 153 roms.
or atleast a way for me to create a dat (tired of waiting,have alot of spare time) ?

Sweet covers, erm i dont know about programs but the Download XML file on the site button will give you a datafile you can open in word pad and it has all the information for all 237 current roms

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I dont know if was posted, but there is this website that has all the scene info, but not just for 3DS/NDS but for many other systems too
http://rom-news.org/

And to put clear, is info, not rom download -.-b

yes but doesnt contain information like the crc32 number
the problem is ALOT of people dont have access to where scene releases are placed
and you get fake files just beefed up with data so people download and think its the real thing

with the CRC32 you can atleast check what you have is the scene dump and not some modified fake file which is most likely cory in the house

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Congrats, you have just been legitimafied by moi. BUT HOW :blink: 3ds capture?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
with the CRC32 you can atleast check what you have is the scene dump and not some modified fake file which is most likely cory in the house
No, you can't.

CRC performs good against errors but not against manipulation.
Its really easy to create a fake file that matches any given checksum.
It can even have a really long chosen prefix, everything but the last 4 bytes.
That means someone could take the DSbricker rom and pad the file with random garbadge to have the required length.
Then change the last 4 bytes to create the required CRC.

If you want to guard against manipulation use something else.
Even the common SHA1 or MD5 should do for unimportant stuff like this.

Pong20302000

OP
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
No, you can't.

CRC performs good against errors but not against manipulation.
Its really easy to create a fake file that matches any given checksum.
It can even have a really long chosen prefix, everything but the last 4 bytes.
That means someone could take the DSbricker rom and pad the file with random garbadge to have the required length.
Then change the last 4 bytes to create the required CRC.

If you want to guard against manipulation use something else.
Even the common SHA1 or MD5 should do for unimportant stuff like this.

yes but you also would have to fake enough data so that the rom tool Eli made gets confused as well

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
yes but you also would have to fake enough data so that the rom tool Eli made gets confused as well
PsyBlade is right. It's just that we don't think that anyone will go the distance of giving a false file.. the roms are already unplayable so faking a rom is just stupid.
Two options still remain.
MD5: 128 bit output, Faster, CAN BE FAKED
SHA1: 160 bit output, Fast, CANNOT BE FAKED
but it will be a long process of hashing all the roms (if anyone wants to... ;))

EDIT: You could still check the roms (or make the hashes) using 3DSExplorer using it's Hash Tool.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the rom dat I started (and didn't maintained for a long time) has the CRC32, sha1 and MD5 informations.
no rom Manager actually use anything else than CRC32, but it's there if someone want to make one.

Checksum can be faked, but faking both CRC32 and MD5 is harder (still possible?).
It's maybe faster to check both MD5+CRC than checking SHA1?

abdelmajidtolba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
If someone can post an already configured soft that shows all 3ds releases (238 roms ) and ill just have to click and see infos cause im tired of soft that either gives error or shows only 153 roms.
La patience a des limites...
in exchange ill upload a full 3ds covers list ( with almost all 3ds released games).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So where can we find a 3DS rom trimmer? I don't want these huge untrimmed files, I like them small. (I trimmed my DS roms myself, keeping the Wi-Fi functionality in all of them.) My R4i 3DS Gold loads any trimmed DS rom I throw at it.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So where can we find a 3DS rom trimmer? I don't want these huge untrimmed files, I like them small. (I trimmed my DS roms myself, keeping the Wi-Fi functionality in all of them.) My R4i 3DS Gold loads any trimmed DS rom I throw at it.
Lol, all I know is that posting links to such sights is a no no gbatemp, might want to edit it out. Just warning you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.