• Replies 53,782
  • Likes 43

Battousi05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo heres a question. If I download lets say Super Smash and had a private header installed on a Sky3DS blah blah....AND then an update or DLC comes out(free)...how would I apply that to my game?? Would I lose my save or can I do it from eshop or install it some other way. What im saying is id like to continue the game normally like it was just a cartridge game cart after the updates and whatnot...

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Soooo heres a question. If I download lets say Super Smash and had a private header installed on a Sky3DS blah blah....AND then an update or DLC comes out(free)...how would I apply that to my game?? Would I lose my save or can I do it from eshop or install it some other way. What im saying is id like to continue the game normally like it was just a cartridge game cart after the updates and whatnot...

Sky3DS works exactly as if you had the original game cartridge. So you just need to access eShop (which requires having the latest firmware) and download the game update. Logically, you wouldn't lose anything since you don't as well with a real game cartridge.

Reactions: Battousi05

Battousi05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that above lemanual

Questions just keep popping in my head today (-.-)...

Only games I plan on going online with are Mario Kart 7(local play actually so i dunno if it counts), LBX, Super Smash, Pokemon Omega Ruby and MH4U..

I have physical cartridges of Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X and Super Smash Bros with a Powersaves Pro. Would a save dump of any of these three work for me to grab a private header out of and patch into my template to play those games above all online whenever??

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for that above lemanual

Questions just keep popping in my head today (-.-)...

Only games I plan on going online with are Mario Kart 7(local play actually so i dunno if it counts), LBX, Super Smash, Pokemon Omega Ruby and MH4U..

I have physical cartridges of Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X and Super Smash Bros with a Powersaves Pro. Would a save dump of any of these three work for me to grab a private header out of and patch into my template to play those games above all online whenever??

A header from ANY game can be used in ALL roms. Sometimes you just might have to change the manufacturer ID but I think there's a tool for Sky3DS users that helps with stuff like that. And to know how to extract the header using powersaves, you can also find a guide on the Tutorials section here in the forum.

Reactions: Battousi05

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so, my gateway is finally stopping to recognize the microsd card at all. I want to continue to play the game I'm playing now by installing it as a .cia, but I've read that it wasn't possible to transfer saves from .3dses to .cias with gateway. is this still the case?

edit: I'd still like to know this even though it turns out the game I'm playing is one of the few that can't be trimmed, and I'm short of 130MB on the sd card...

Last edited by tyons,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so, my gateway is finally stopping to recognize the microsd card at all. I want to continue to play the game I'm playing now by installing it as a .cia, but I've read that it wasn't possible to transfer saves from .3dses to .cias with gateway. is this still the case?

edit: I'd still like to know this even if it turns out the game I'm playing is one of the few that can't be trimmed, and I'm short of 130MB on the sd card...
It is possible to transfer saves from roms to cias with Gateway. If the game is a card 1 game, you will need to find the save on your SD card and make a copy of it renamed to 000400000FF40A00.sav. Put your SD card back in to your 3DS and launch Gateway. Mount the game by selecting it on the multi-rom menu and open SaveDataFiler. Select CTR Card and export the save. Now use SaveDataFiler to import it to your SD and you it should work for the cia version! If it's a card 2 game, you don't need to rename any saves, just export the save then import it to your SD with SaveDataFiler.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
Bumpedi bump!

I'm still looking to know why CFW loaders boot me into a homescreen with only FBI.cia and Regionpatcher.cia installed while deselecting "run emunand" in the loaders get me all my installed CIA games (which are bootable).

If I use CakesCFW without "run emunand" all my games are there and playable. With "run emunand", suddenly they're not and the same with RXTools.

Have i installed them into Sysnand or something?

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It is possible to transfer saves from roms to cias with Gateway. If the game is a card 1 game, you will need to find the save on your SD card and make a copy of it renamed to 000400000FF40A00.sav. Put your SD card back in to your 3DS and launch Gateway. Mount the game by selecting it on the multi-rom menu and open SaveDataFiler. Select CTR Card and export the save. Now use SaveDataFiler to import it to your SD and you it should work for the cia version! If it's a card 2 game, you don't need to rename any saves, just export the save then import it to your SD with SaveDataFiler.

problem problem, my gateway doesn't recognize the microsd anymore ("read error" every time) :P
thanks anyway

Last edited by tyons,

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, I don't understand this sysnand vs emunand part one bit.

I followed this guide with my 9.0E n3DS and I've managed to play some installed CIA titles, but then I tried swapping to the 9.5 firmware.bin and now it loads the home menu with three of the installed CIAs but the rest are missing.

I've got two folders inside /Nintendo3DS that have those id0 and id1 numbers which I guess means it has two systems on the SD card. (which one is sysnand? are they both emunand?)

Also, I'm using cakesCFW as Pasta didn't work, and RXTools boots to blackscreen. I couldn't do the mset downgrade section in the tutorial because FBI gives me some error message when I try to install mset_eur.cia and I'm totally lost.

If this makes sense to anyone and they can help me out, please quote this or send me a pm explaining it clearly to me because I could use some hints.

Easy, think of Sysnand as your 3DS' firmware, everything you install gets recorded here so your 3DS "remembers" what can be accesed and what not no matter what memory card you are using.

Emunand is a copy of your sysnand, it's on your SD memory card and it's purpose is to "fake" being sysnand, so you could update the 3DS emunand while still having your sysnand in an exploitable firmware, for example you could be on 4.5 sysnand and still have emunand in 10.1 playing online and accessing eshop in O3DS (N3DS' new encryption avoids passing >9.5 in emunand).

You have 2 folders in your Nintendo folder because you probably unliked the nands, this is done by formating sysnand while your SD card is outside of the system, sysnand creates a new folder to use leaving the old folder for emunand use only, your emunand folder should be the oldest and your sysnand the newest one.

Don't downgrade mset, set up autoboot themehax and use it to launch your CFW, that way you can automatically launch CFW by just powering up your N3DS.

And finally you should make sure to install cias from your own region only, cias from out of region don't show if your CFW doesn't support region free.

Pablo007

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys I just updated my emunand from 9.2 to 10.1 and now all my savegames are not working anymore?
It seems like they went away? I made a backup before. What happend, is there any known bug or incompability?
thanks in advance, im using old 3dsx l.

lemanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey guys I just updated my emunand from 9.2 to 10.1 and now all my savegames are not working anymore?
It seems like they went away? I made a backup before. What happend, is there any known bug or incompability?

It would also help if you said which CFW you're using since they have slight differences between each other and that may matter.
In any case, it's strange for that to happen.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you happen to unlink your nands? Because I lost my GBA saves when I unlinked my nands. Thats really the only thing I can think of

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so forgive me if this is a dumb line of questions but
(2ds 9.2.0.20u systemnand, rxtools fully updated emunand) i have a few problems and was looking for s solution to black boxes in systemnand i found out the cause was when i first tried to install gba cias i did it to nand (using fbi):( someone said to get rid of the boxes i should identify the gba titles and delete them from systemnand. i too noobish to attempt this outright. someone else (under the assumption that the problem was in emunand) suggested that if i made a new emunand that the problem would be gone because systemnand will be 1:1 with emunand . . . his assumption was wrong but got me thinking if i did what he suggested the problem would be carried over to emunand where i can attempt to fix it in emunand first without worry of further injury to the system (you know so i can build up an good idea of what im doing before i attempt it in systemnand as i dont have a hardmod) "sounds like a plan to me"
1a. so how do i backup cia game saves?
1b. and can the save be used in a newly created emunand on the same system?
if i did this and it really 1:1 like i believe it will be . . .
2. should i delete the properly installed gba cias from systemnand destination sd first ? (so they dont take up extra space)
3. i have old whitelist installed on systemnand but i cant install it on emunand so, will the above process fix this for me too?:unsure:
4a. what will happen to cia games on emunand sd will they be unusable or just unseen by my 2ds?
4b. or should i just get a new sd card for this?

i know its a lot of questions but everything i learn i teach back when applicable B-)
so many thanks in advance:bow:
edit any answer(s) you can give will help even if you cant answer all of these alone

Last edited by wormdood,

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys!

I haven't used my N3DS (OFW 9.0E) in some time and haven't followed how the CFW-scene has developed the last few months, and I'm left VERY CONFUSED as to what route I should take regarding installing a CFW.

I have Gateway 3DS and a emuNand installed (not sure which FW tho), and a retail copy of Zelda OOT with the Gateway3DS exploit save on it.
Which CFW options do I have and which would fit me best? Does the existing CFW's differ from each other feature wise?
I'm very content with just installing and playing .cia's from my emuNand. It would be awesome, but not necessary, if it's possible to spoof my emuNand to be able to go online (gaming and Nintendo Store).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vonfnas,

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok so forgive me if this is a dumb line of questions but
(2ds 9.2.0.20u systemnand, rxtools fully updated emunand) i have a few problems and was looking for s solution to black boxes in systemnand i found out the cause was when i first tried to install gba cias i did it to nand (using fbi):( someone said to get rid of the boxes i should identify the gba titles and delete them from systemnand. i too noobish to attempt this outright. someone else (under the assumption that the problem was in emunand) suggested that if i made a new emunand that the problem would be gone because systemnand will be 1:1 with emunand . . . his assumption was wrong but got me thinking if i did what he suggested the problem would be carried over to emunand where i can attempt to fix it in emunand first without worry of further injury to the system (you know so i can build up an good idea of what im doing before i attempt it in systemnand as i dont have a hardmod) "sounds like a plan to me"
1a. so how do i backup cia game saves?
1b. and can the save be used in a newly created emunand on the same system?
if i did this and it really 1:1 like i believe it will be . . .
2. should i delete the properly installed gba cias from systemnand destination sd first ? (so they dont take up extra space)
3. i have old whitelist installed on systemnand but i cant install it on emunand so, will the above process fix this for me too?:unsure:
4a. what will happen to cia games on emunand sd will they be unusable or just unseen by my 2ds?
4b. or should i just get a new sd card for this?

i know its a lot of questions but everything i learn i teach back when applicable B-)
so many thanks in advance:bow:
edit any answer(s) you can give will help even if you cant answer all of these alone
1. a) Use SaveDataFiler. You'll need to find out the title id of each game and then export them to your SD card. You can find the title ids of your games here.

1. b) Yes. Use SaveDataFiler to import the saves to your SD on emuNAND after you extract them.

2. If you're not planning on playing those GBA games, I would uninstall them. You can uninstall them by booting CFW in sysNAND then going to System Settings > Data Management > 3DS > Software.

3. I don't think DS flashcarts work in emuNAND, so there's not much point in installing the whitelist to emuNAND.

4. a) Not exactly what you mean. If your emuNAND and sysNAND are unlinked, the installed cias won't show up on sysNAND at all. If they are linked, they will show up on sysNAND, but will not be playable unless you've booted into CFW and the game supports 9.2 and lower firmware.

4. b) I use a 32GB SD in each of my 3DSes. You do not need a separate SD card for emuNAND/CFW.

Hey guys!

I haven't used my N3DS (OFW 9.0E) in some time and haven't followed how the CFW-scene has developed the last few months, and I'm left VERY CONFUSED as to what route I should take regarding installing a CFW.

I have Gateway 3DS and a emuNand installed (not sure which FW tho), and a retail copy of Zelda OOT with the Gateway3DS exploit save on it.
Which CFW options do I have and which would fit me best? Does the existing CFW's differ from each other feature wise?
I'm very content with just installing and playing .cia's from my emuNand. It would be awesome, but not necessary, if it's possible to spoof my emuNand to be able to go online (gaming and Nintendo Store).

Thanks in advance!
Try this guide for setting up one of the available CFWs. Personally I'm using ReiNAND on my N3DS as I believe it's the most stable CFW for the N3DS, but rxTools has a lot of good features. Try looking at the threads for rxTools, ReiNAND and CakesFW for exactly what features they have.

It is possible to spoof your firmware version to access the eShop. Use Free Multi Patcher to do this. Download the patches from the eShop for your games and you should be able to play them online again.

Drowze

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think that I don't quite understand the difference between card1 and card2 games yet...

I've read in this thread that card1 games save directly to sd card, whilst card2 games save to the rom. Alright; that seems to be true as I am playing Pokemon ORAS (.3ds) and I'm quite frequently formatting my sd card, although not losing my gamesave.
However, the same is happening to my DKC: Returns .3ds rom (which supposedly is a card1 game); I mean, the save is still there even after I format the SD Card.

I'm probably getting something wrong along the way... Can anyone (try) to explain the difference between them to me?

y2jdmbfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be selling my NES 3DS XL, it has been downgraded to 4.2, but now how do I go about removing all traces of Gateway? I've been away from the scene for a bit, so forgive my ignorance please.

Drowze

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm going to be selling my NES 3DS XL, it has been downgraded to 4.2, but now how do I go about removing all traces of Gateway? I've been away from the scene for a bit, so forgive my ignorance please.
Well, AFAIK, as long as you didn't modify the sysnand, you should be fine. If you did however, the generic way would be flashing a NAND backup into your sysnand; other than that it really depends on what you have modified.

Last edited by Drowze,

JohnTravolski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody know if there's anything that can be done to a CFW v9.8 emuNAND so that it stops prompting to update it all the time? It gets annoying every time that I close a game it wants to update the emuNAND. My sysNAND is v4.2.

Drowze

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does anybody know if there's anything that can be done to a CFW v9.8 emuNAND so that it stops prompting to update it all the time? It gets annoying every time that I close a game it wants to update the emuNAND. My sysNAND is v4.2.
That leads me to an interesting question: is there someway to access recovery mode* in a CFW? I couldn't get to it using rxTools/rxMode.
Is there some documentation regarding where the update data is stored (and is it possible to modify it, using a tool like WinImage Portable for an example)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries