Tutorial  Updated

How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

CN : Cubic Ninja
OOT : Zelda Ocarina of Time
HBL : Homebrew Launcher

Notice for gateway users : you can also use this tutorial to use your gateway on your N3DS without CN/OOT.

You need :
- A 9.0-9.2 n3ds obviously
- The latest gateway firmware if you're planning to use mset. (you can find it on their site)
- The HBL starter kit : https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
- The latest ninjhax version of FBI : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
- A cia version of the cia manager you want to install (for example FBI or BigBlueMenu)
- Emunand9Tool : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/
- Encrypted 9.0-9.2 and 9.5 firmware.bin: can't link it here, but search "firmware9.2.bin" on google (with the quotes) and download the Cakes.zip folder. The md5 of the firmware9.2.bin should be 87aea2e8c30a533fd9f319683b3a0793 and b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6 for the 9.5 one.
- (only for cakes) The cetk file : http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013820000002/cetk
- an Internet connexion (use the tubehax dns to prevent background update downloading)

I Installing a cia manager on your sysnand

Method 1 : with CakesFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
8. Select Cakes
9. select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.
10. Boot the cfw.
11. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
12. This time, choose FBI.
13. Use FBI to install the cia manager of your choice.

Method 2 : with Pasta CFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder in the 3ds folder.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

Reminder :
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

II. Setting up the emunand.

Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool
1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
6. Put back your micro-sd card in your console then press B
7. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and confirm
8. Once it's done, press start to reboot and restore your micro-sd card content.

Method 2 : with the Gateway Launcher (use this if you have a gateway, it also work without it)
You need :
- The latest Gateway firmware available on their site
1. Copy the launcher.dat file on your micro-sd card root
2. Extract the GW_3dsx.zip archive on your micro-sd card root
3. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer
4. Launch the HBL and select Gateway. (if you have the gateway inserted on your console, remove it first)
5. In the gateway menu, select "Format Emunand"
6. Then select "Backup System nand"
7. Finally, press down + B to shut down the console
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe.

III Booting into the emunand

To boot into your emunand :

Cakes
If you choosed the Cakes method in the first part you can just continue to use it :
- Download the latest fimware.bin here (first link, rename it firmware.bin)
- Dowload the slot0x11key96.bin on that iso site (Google "CakesFW - Open Source CFW with emunand support!") and put it on your micro-sd card root
- In the cakes menu check the emunand patch.

Reinand :
- Download this on extract it on your micro-sd card root : http://jheberg.net/captcha/reinand-n3ds-emunand-96/
- Download the latest fimware.bin (you can find the link in the reinand github), rename it firmware.bin and put it in the rei folder
- Select Reinand in the HBL

Gateway
If you have a gateway, just select Boot Gateway Mode in the Gateway menu. (if you have the gateway inserted when you choose Gateway in the HBL, it will skip the menu and directly boot into it)
Or you can use rxTools (some features still don't work on n3ds, refer to this : https://gbatemp.net/posts/5705403/).

rxTools
If you want to use rxTools, you need :
- rxTools nightly : http://jheberg.net/captcha/rxtools-2015-11-19-265d53e/
1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root
3. Copy the rxTools folder from the ninjhax folder in your "3ds" folder.
4. Then start rxTools from the HBL. Press a key at the end of the data installation to boot into your emunand.

Be aware that both Gateway and rxtools only support emunand up to 9.5 at the moment

IV Updating the emunand

With Cakes/Reinand :
1. Change your sysnand (and only your sysnand) language.
2. Boot into your emunand. If if it's not in your main language, that's mean you are not in your emunand (or you changed the language of the wrong nand), so don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Go the system settings (it should still be on your main language), and don't exit it until the update is done. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With Reinand
1. Boot into Emunand, and go to the system settings.
2. Make sure it says Rei in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emuNAND. If it does don't exit the systems setings until the update is done. If it doesn't, don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With rxTools/Gateway :
Follow this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

V Start the CFW without internet.

1. With menuhax

This method only work if your emunand are unlinked (to unlink the nand, format your sysnand with the micro-sd card out)
Install menuhax using browserhax : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
To uninstall menuhax just change your sysnand theme.
Notice : You can use this if you want to coldboot on the CFW (or Gateway) of your choice : http://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

2. With a downgraded mset

To downgrade your mset :
- Copy the mset_region.cia from the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!\your_region folder on your sd card. (and the bluecardfix if oyu have a gateway)
- Launch Pasta then FBI
- Switch the destination to nand.
- Install mset_region.cia. (If you have a gateway install the bluecardfix too)
- Go to the system settings. If the nnid settings are gone, that means the operation was successfull.
Then to setup the MSET rop :
- Start FBI then press select
- Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools, and "Encrypted Gateway N3DS 9.X" for Gateway.
- You can now start the cfw from System Settings -> Other Settings ->Profile -> DS Profile

Last edited by VerseHell,

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having an issue copying my NAND to my PC, I get the error 0x80070022 saying that it can't copy?

*EDIT - Nevermind, crappy card reader. All good.

Last edited by chewdiggy,
Reactions: Margen67

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Weird. If it doesn't work, create your emunand then immediatly after use emunand tool to extract it, you will be able to use it like a NAND.bin. (you can't use an updated emunand as a nand backup though)

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need help! When I launch the Hbc with the themehax I get the message failed to load Firm
Make sure...
I d/l the firmware9.2 renamed it and put it in the cakes folder (root)!
Bit what is cakes folder from cakes 9.9?
I cannot find something called cakes 9.9.
Is it the folder that has the cakes_89.dat config.dat and firmkey.bin with the folder patches?

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I need help! When I launch the Hbc with the themehax I get the message failed to load Firm
Make sure...
I d/l the firmware9.2 renamed it and put it in the cakes folder (root)!
Bit what is cakes folder from cakes 9.9?
I cannot find something called cakes 9.9.
Is it the folder that has the cakes_89.dat config.dat and firmkey.bin with the folder patches?
CakesBrah has the cakes.3dsx file in (if I remember correctly) and the Cakes file that you download (seperate from CakesBrah) has several sub folders in that hold the files you are looking for. Follow the instructions to the letter. Took me a while to get it all together but it works.

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
T
CakesBrah has the cakes.3dsx file in (if I remember correctly) and the Cakes file that you download (seperate from CakesBrah) has several sub folders in that hold the files you are looking for. Follow the instructions to the letter. Took me a while to get it all together but it works.
Where do I put the files The firmware.bin and cetk! In the sd/3ds/cakes folder? Or in sd/cakes ?
The cakes.dat is it going into the root or in sd/cakes folder?
When you say the cakes file that I downloaded can you post the link where you got yours? Thank you!

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Search for "firmware9.2" on Google with the quotes. The link that comes up will have the download you need for FW and the folders you are missing. I can't screen grab as I am at work, when I get home I'll post a grab.

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Search for "firmware9.2" on Google with the quotes. The link that comes up will have the download you need for FW and the folders you are missing. I can't screen grab as I am at work, when I get home I'll post a grab.
OK Thats what I did! Thanks I'll try it again!

Is it the Cakes.zip in filetrip? Its around 16.6mb!

Last edited by Choquette,

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I remember right you should have a Cakes folder in the 3ds folder with the .3dsx file and .sdmh file, and cakes.dat on the root with another cakes folder in the root of the SD with the cetk and firmware files.

Yes, that's where the files are.

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I remember right you should have a Cakes folder in the 3ds folder with the .3dsx file and .sdmh file, and cakes.dat on the root with another cakes folder in the root of the SD with the cetk and firmware files.
I must be doind someting wrong, When I start cakes I always get this message Failed to load Firm, make sure the encrypted FIRM is located at /firmware.bin
Mounted SD card failed to load FIRM!! So I figure it needs the firmware.bin at the root of the card! So I put it there and when I start cakes well Blackscreen! loll
OK now it works! CAkesFW! I took the firmware.bin and put it in root of sd! When I tried it the second time I get txt and everything! But How come I need to put the firmware.bin in root if the tut says it needs to be in sd/cakes ?

chewdiggy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to keep trying Cakes, it doesn't boot every time. Follow the instructions in the OP exactly Keep at it.

Like I said, I'm going by memory and the OP. Worked for me. Now you need to backup your NAND. DO THAT NOW!!!

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You need to keep trying Cakes, it doesn't boot every time. Follow the instructions in the OP exactly Keep at it.
You got that message too?

''Failed to load Firm?

Make sure the encrypted FIRM is
located at /firmware.bin'' ???

Everytime I take firmware.bin out of root, I always get this message!

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. Because I followed the instructions.
THats what im doing! I downloaded cakes.zip (with firmware9.2.bin and firmware9.5.bin in it) Changed Firmware9.2.bin to firmware.bin! I took the cakes folder from cakes.zip and placed it at the root of the card! Put firmware.bin and cekt in it! Took the cakebrah.zip and unzipped it in sd/3ds/cakes. Got the new boot.3dsx and cakes.dat at the root of the card too! Now I dont know what I'm doing wrong from here!

OK I found my error! its all good now! Thank You! I wasnt using the right cakes.zip!! SO all the files in the cakes folder arent good! Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 988
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,030

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, the only thing you take from the Cakes.zip is the 9.2/9.5 firmware.bin. For everything else, use the files from the official latest build.

Choquette

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok now I've got another problem! I start cakes, Select Patches, Only one option Disable signature checks, I check the box, press start to confirm.
Boot CFW. After when it boots up go back to browserhax, select FBI, after that I try to install FBI.cia and I get this error!
Install Failed
FBI.cia
source: Source_app_write_cia (0x6)
MOdule: MOdule_nn_am (0x20)
level: Level_status (0x19)
Summary: summary_invalid_state (0x5)
Description: description_database_does_not_exist (0x2

Any info on that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat