Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a easy to read guide on how to set up the 3ds for gateway and how to back up your roms on to the gateway? Also on how to update the emunand and using it? I found one guide but its hard for me to read it
All the information you require is on gateways website. Look at patch 1.2 details for how to actually install the exploit and get used it to it then all you do is replace launcher.dat from 1.2 to 2.0b1 and follow their recent post on emunand. Make sure you read up some tip on how not to fuck up with emunand check the thread about guy who did update his real system.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I meaned "save the emunand" on pc once created.

Thanks cyan for all those explanations, also, when saving the emunand, a simple copy paste is ok ?
or do i absolutely need to use win32diskimager to make an image ?
You save the real NAND backup, not the EmuNAND.

when you make a backup, it copy the NAND to a file which can be copy/paste to your PC.
When you make a "EmuNAND format", it formats the SD card and creates a hidden partition, you can't copy that partition to your PC using copy/paste, you need a way to read SD's raw sectors if you really want to keep a backup of your EmuNAND partition.

I'm not sure Win32DiskImager will work, as that program doesn't display the device name but the Windows assigned letter (which display only the FAT partition, not the EmuNAND partition).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do all the firmware backup/emunand setup operations require an actual Gateway card or can I use something like my DSTWO and run the exploit and GUI that way? I know all the actual code is running from the launcher.dat but I wonder if there's a check for the gateway hardware?

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
Do all the firmware backup/emunand setup operations require an actual Gateway card or can I use something like my DSTWO and run the exploit and GUI that way? I know all the actual code is running from the launcher.dat but I wonder if there's a check for the gateway hardware?
You don't need the red card (thats for running games). You only need the blue card (its a r4i card) so if you got a compatible card copy their blue card firmware and install the exploit and you can do the backup etc assuming you copy launcher to sd.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Teensy.co.uk ship from UK, I know this has I usually get the item next day or day after. Not sure if they have stock but they are good shippers...................sudeki300

-1 have to disagree with you on that. I waited a week for it to travel from liverpool. Nds-card order came quicker from China.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a easy to read guide on how to set up the 3ds for gateway and how to back up your roms on to the gateway? Also on how to update the emunand and using it? I found one guide but its hard for me to read it

The noob guide thread you posted on a few minutes ago is pretty simple just keep reading it through before you do anything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
EmuNAND (in classic mode) can be used by everybody, even without buying a gateway Flashcard.
The card is only to play ROMs, but if you don't have interest in piracy/playing ROMs, you can still use their Launcher.dat to make NAND dump, play retail games in EmuNAND, or to use multiple/different EmuNANDs (one per SD card), for whatever reason you might have.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
I got a bit confused but now I think I know whats going on...

When Gateway creates a .sav file, it gets the correct created/modified date set in the file system. However, when new data is written to the .sav file (i.e. when you press home, x, a), the "date modified" of the file does NOT appear to change.

I noticed this with my Zelda save file (00040000000EC400.sav). At first I thought Gateway was failing to write my new saves to the SD card, storing them only in the gateway cart. But, actually it seems to be working fine. Phew!

fairie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is anyone else having problems redeeming eShop points card? I want to buy the Phoenix Wright game and I got a points card, but it said that the code was invalid for my region, which I know that it's not. I'm in the US region (I live in Canada).

Codc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I downloaded the 2.01 beta and I'm currently trying to install the blue card files and it's been stuck at programming [ *****.....] for the last 40minutes.

Is there any way to know if it's still trying to install whatever and is it safe to reset my 3ds (if the installer is frozen)? How long does it usually takes to install those files?

Thanks.

EDIT: I pressed the home button and the installer decided to wake up

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the 2.01 beta and I'm currently trying to install the blue card files and it's been stuck at programming [ *****.....] for the last 40minutes.

Is there any way to know if it's still trying to install whatever and is it safe to reset my 3ds (if the installer is frozen)? How long does it usually takes to install those files?

Thanks.

Turn the 3DS off and try again. It should only take a few seconds.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have only being playing legend of zelda a link between worlds since the beta came out..

Q: Do games without SDK5.0+ crash when exiting like the legend of zelda does?

leeksausage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have only being playing legend of zelda a link between worlds since the beta came out..

Q: Do games without SDK5.0+ crash when exiting like the legend of zelda does?

Seems Zelda (and others) only crash if you don't wait about 5 seconds to press x after pressing home.

Mitch2025

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loaded up the Mii Street pass app to use my coins on 6.3Emu and it asked for an update. The update seems to be just for that app but I wanted to avoid it until I know for sure it would be safe to update. Does anyone know if I can go ahead and update it?

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a 3ds yet but reading of this emunand made me curious about a thing.

I heard that, with firmware 5.0, there was a perfomances boost for some games (i.e. Rayman 2). So, updating the emunand to 5.0 or later should give the perfomances boost as well, right?

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
ok i was able to update to the GW3D 6.X nand but when i wanted to check out the eshop the system asked for a update and i backed out. I am still screwing around with the gateway 2.0 beta and i dont want to update a second 3ds in one week

detroitwillfall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a question about the 3ds? if i want to buy pokemon x or y for the online experience and i get the gw3ds..will it mess up my 3ds?

like how does that work?

i have to have the gw3ds first before i turn on the 3ds?​

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCivnt5t50