Microsoft will debut an all-digital Xbox Series X refresh next year, according to leaked documents

brooklin.png

A new leak has let the cat out of the bag, when it comes to what new hardware Microsoft has in store. Regarding the ongoing Microsoft and FTC court battle over Activision Blizzard, some new classified documents have been leaked. While much of the court document was redacted, certain parts were mistakenly left available for public view, including detailed images and information about upcoming refreshes to the Xbox Series line of consoles.

The leaked roadmap shows that Microsoft plans on releasing a "slim" refresh of the Xbox Series X, with the working name of Project Brooklin. It'll boast more storage, a different physical design, better power usage, a new controller, and some improved internals over the original Xbox Series X. The system will also be digital only.

loPt4m6.png sebile.png stats.png

Project Sebile is the codename for the updated Xbox controller, which sees Bluetooth 5.2, a rechargeable battery, modular thumbstick, and an accelerometer, among other things. Also noted within the document is a "Project Ellewood", which will be a 1TB console, with a retail price of $299.99, presumably the upgraded version of the Xbox Series S, featuring more storage, better Wi-Fi, and reduced power consumption. Additionally, "Edith", another codename for what appears to be the Xbox Series S, will be priced at $199 for Black Friday to push sales for the older system. Meanwhile, Microsoft plans to announce the "end of life" for Starkville, though it's not specified for what system that may be.

time.png

While things may change, and the document might be out of date by now, as it was originally shown to the FTC in October 2022, the graph shows that Microsoft plans on releasing the new Xbox controller sometime in May or June of 2024, with the announcement of both Project Ellewood and Brooklin to follow shortly after. An actual release timeframe for the Xbox Series S refresh is set for the end of August 2024, and the Xbox Series X refresh to follow shortly at the end of October 2024.

:arrow: Source

krzys4x

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
devmode is paid apk and I wait for homebrew pirated games I can play any game ps2 iso retail free on xsx 60 fps or more fps no bugs it thats why I keep it offline

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried to do some digging on "Starkville". I did find a Starkville, Mississippi - maybe it's government software/hardware? IDK. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Microsoft is known to codename their hardware and software after places in the US (or across the world in general).
Windows 95 was codenamed Chicago, as an example of how long they've been doing it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's official mics next xbox is going full CLOUD

In the "Our Vision" section of the document, Microsoft writes, "Develop a next generation hybrid game platform capable of leveraging the combined power of the client and cloud to deliver deeper immersion and entirely new classes of game experiences. Optimized for real time game play and creators, we will enable new levels of performance beyond the capabilities of the client hardware alone."
looks like mic is reinventing stadia :rofl2:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I hope they don’t give us a damn trash can… The cylinder has no place in the living room. Also, if the new controllers don’t sport Hall effect sensors, then.. well, I wouldn’t be surprised… but it would still be dumb..
Post automatically merged:

Wow! Microsoft force gaming hardware to digital only right now!

What a very bad move!

That's why I refuse support Microsoft anymore. I'm glad never own any Xbox consoles for myself. Few of my cousins had Xbox consoles but sad news then all Xbox consoles will end up in e-recycle. RIP Xbox consoles.

If what happened if Sony and Nintendo force gaming consoles to digital only then I have right to cut off support and refuse give my money for companies in near future then I can rest on gaming PC computers forever.

Digital only of gaming consoles are very bad and total catastrophic! :(

RIP digital gaming consoles.
Until we go back to the days of not having to install games from discs, then going all digital really isn’t any different…

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The steamdeck is all digital and people love it.
Its also not a draconian device like a console is. A console is basically drm in physical form.
Post automatically merged:

That desing looks horrible but glad xbox FINALLY put rechargeable batteries on their controller without using external stuff
They did that AND kept the ability to swap out the battery. Im surprised to be honest.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! Microsoft force gaming hardware to digital only right now!

What a very bad move!

That's why I refuse support Microsoft anymore. I'm glad never own any Xbox consoles for myself. Few of my cousins had Xbox consoles but sad news then all Xbox consoles will end up in e-recycle. RIP Xbox consoles.

If what happened if Sony and Nintendo force gaming consoles to digital only then I have right to cut off support and refuse give my money for companies in near future then I can rest on gaming PC computers forever.

Digital only of gaming consoles are very bad and total catastrophic! :(

RIP digital gaming consoles.

Customers are now more than ever willing to go digital-only and Sony has done the same with their PS5.

It only happens because there's a market. Vote with your wallet.

That desing looks horrible but glad xbox FINALLY put rechargeable batteries on their controller without using external stuff
Rechargeable internal batteries may seem great and convenient, but when they die you have to physically open the controller, unplug it, connect the new one, and get the controller back to one piece.

That of course not many are willing to do so either they buy a new one or use it wired.

Xbox controllers having easy access to change the batteries is user-friendly and avoids e-waste.

Reactions: console

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
get less feature for the same (not so) great Price.

No thanks Microsoft, I don't feel the need to Downgrade my current Console, I'm fine with my Xbox Series X.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don’t necessarily have a problem with this so long as it doesn’t entirely replace the models with disc drives. My Series X exists as a Gamepass machine first and foremost, I haven’t bought a game on disc for it in a long, long time and when I do play discs, it’s usually 360 ones. Having the option to go all digital and save a buck is good - let’s face it, not everyone needs a disc drive. I’ll always pick the SKU with a drive because I like to have the ability to read discs should I ever need it, but that doesn’t apply to every customer - some people don’t care for physical media, or opt for digital copies for various practical reasons (for instance kids, you can’t lose or scratch a digital copy). It makes sense to give the customer a choice.
Also noted within the document is a "Project Ellewood", which will be a 1TB console, with a retail price of $299.99, presumably the upgraded version of the Xbox Series S.
I wonder if the plans for this SKU weren’t accelerated or altered since this document was originally written. This sounds a whole lot like the newly-released Series S Carbon Black. 1TB storage, £299 exactly where I live. That being said, I’m unaware of any other improvements in the console, I haven’t seen any teardowns of it yet, so I don’t know if the bridge is the same or not. I certainly wouldn’t call it a “refresh”, at least at a glance.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I don’t necessarily have a problem with this so long as it doesn’t entirely replace the models with disc drives. My Series X exists as a Gamepass machine first and foremost, I haven’t bought a game on disc for it in a long, long time and when I do play discs, it’s usually 360 ones. Having the option to go all digital and save a buck is good - let’s face it, not everyone needs a disc drive. I’ll always pick the SKU with a drive because I like to have the ability to read discs should I ever need it, but that doesn’t apply to every customer - some people don’t care for physical media, or opt for digital copies for various practical reasons (for instance kids, you can’t lose or scratch a digital copy). It makes sense to give the customer a choice.
On img 5/5 in the OP, there's a bullet point that says: "Starkville EOL ahead of Brooklin launch"

So they're ditching discs unless there's a separate disc drive accessory ala PS5 in the works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto