Hardware 3DS, Dangerous for health?

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Medically you can't watch 3D in continuity for more than a few hours anyway. That causes too much strain on your eyes and brain, and Nintendo will sure have their huge-ass HEALTH AND SAFETY warning when the 3DS is turned on... if you are enough of an idiot to ignore it... well...

And anyway, any hardcore gamer will get fed-up with the 3D after a few hours and just turn it down to get to real gaming.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:
Medically you can't watch 3D in continuity for more than a few hours anyway. That causes too much strain on your eyes and brain, and Nintendo will sure have their huge-ass HEALTH AND SAFETY warning when the 3DS is turned on... if you are enough of an idiot to ignore it... well...

And anyway, any hardcore gamer will get fed-up with the 3D after a few hours and just turn it down to get to real gaming.

Yeah, 3d is more of a gimmick anyway. (That's NOT, I repeat, NOT, always a bad thing. Look at the Wii/Move/Kinect - motion controls are very gimmicky, but are still fun. Those GBA games with solar sensors are also good examples.)

I probably won't even be able to see it anyway, given my 20/200 vision.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:

Oh yea because 3D can't be real gaming :/

Falcon27252

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only reason I'm not gonna buy a 3DS is that if they have evidence that what they say is true.
closedeyes.gif

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MarkDarkness said:
If that were the case, nobody would get the 3DS, since they would turn off the 3D

Arakasi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
metamaster, you are the master of assumptions.
smile.gif

Your eyes CAN NOT focus on such a small screen so much that you block everything else out, unless you have tunnel vision. Physical impossibility.

Also, I heard there is a slider so you can adjust the intensity of the 3d as well as turn it off if you like.
Moot issue.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Metamaster, you're gullible. You don't actually seem to know much about this, you're just preaching the words of the author of the linked article.
1)The author's assertion that "various movie and television display technologies only offer parallax-based depth cues" is bogus. Of the depth cues listed in the Wikipedia article he references, 3D movies can display all but one of them, and 2D movies can display all but three. Peripheral vision will also usually be lacking for either because the screen isn't big enough to fill the peripheral vision area, but for something like an Imax theater it can be present, at least for people in the best seats.

As someone pointed out below, if 3D is lacking one cue, and 2D lacks three, wouldn't viewing 2D movies screw up your depth perception even more?

2) As someone pointed out much earlier, "binocular dysphoria" seems to be a made up word. I could not find references to it anywhere, except in online references to this article, and a Wikipedia entry that looks like it's going to be removed, and actually references this article. If anyone can find such a reference, I would be interested in reading it.

3) The Japanese have spent a lot of time studying the ergonomics of viewing 3D movies and TV, and their 3D Display Consortium (which has companies around the world as members) has published guidelines for the display of 3D images in such a way that they can mostly avoid the problems that have been associated with it in the past, such as eyestrain, headaches, dizziness, etc. (nevertheless, some people are sensitive). They are continuing to study these matters.

4)The causes of discomfort and such when watching 3D are easy to understand. The big difference between watching a 3D movie and watching the real world is the fact that your eyes are always focused on the screen (because that's where the two images actually are)but they are often pointed (converged) at points in front of and behind the screen, because of parallax. This is unnatural, and often takes some getting used to, since in the real world your eyes are almost always focused and pointed at the same spot at the same distance. When viewing 3D you are using your eye muscles in novel ways. The way to avoid this is to keep the depth of the image on the subtle side. If you want to have thing flying out of the screen at the audience, only do it occasionally and briefly.

Another issue is mis-alignment in the vertical direction, as someone pointed out below. That doesn't seem to be an issue with modern projection systems but it was in the old days. It forces one eye to try to tilt up and the other to try to tilt down, which the eye's aren't designed to do, and will give you eyestrain, headaches, etc. if you do it too long. One thing that few people have pointed out is that viewing the screen with your head tilted produces the same effect, so don't lean on your elbow or your date's shoulder when watching a 3D movie.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
metamaster said:
MarkDarkness said:
If that were the case, nobody would get the 3DS, since they would turn off the 3D

I will buy the 3DS to keep up with series such as Castlevania and Professor Layton, not at all because of the 3D gimmick. Your point = moot.

KingVamp said:
QUOTE(MarkDarkness @ Jul 6 2010, 07:59 PM)

Oh yea because 3D can't be real gaming :/
Uh... in a nutshell? No. I just remember the amount of time I spent on classics like Chrono Trigger and Baldur's Gate, with sessions that would last for as long as six hours, and that kind of thing would be hell in 3D, to me at last. Dunno about you. I see 3D vision for quicker games, with shorter playing time.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, Midna, you have countered a lot of my arguments in ways I haven't though of and they are correct. But still, this kind of 3D isn't natural and it's effect will be seen in time. If a normal 2D screen can cause myopia to this day, what could be the effect of a 3D screen when it is still new? You're right that 3D screens use more cues than 2D screens, but it isn't real 3D, real depth perception. So as long as there is no real depth in the screen, there will still be an effect, maybe even unnoticeable, since it is an illusion.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
metamaster said:
ok, Midna, you have countered a lot of my arguments in ways I haven't though of and they are correct. But still, this kind of 3D isn't natural and it's effect will be seen in time. If a normal 2D screen can cause myopia to this day, what could be the effect of a 3D screen when it is still new? You're right that 3D screens use more cues than 2D screens, but it isn't real 3D, real depth perception. So as long as there is no real depth in the screen, there will still be an effect, maybe even unnoticeable, since it is an illusion.
Well has there been any cases yet of people killing their eyes from a 3D TV, from watching 3D movies or from playing the Virtual Boy? Some people might get a headache like people did with the VB. I've thought about this as well and I think if your that worried just wait a year and see if the news is full of cases of the 3DS causing eye damage. I never planned on buying one anyway, instead I'll wait for a 3DS lite or something similar.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
MarkDarkness said:

Yeah, and they'll definitely have those incessant "Hey, why not try taking a break for a while?" quips spread across their games more so than ever before.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
MarkDarkness said:

Yeah, and they'll definitely have those incessant "Hey, why not try taking a break for a while?" quips spread across their games more so than ever before.
I may actually take a break from the 3D early if it has that
laugh.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
MarkDarkness said:
Medically you can't watch 3D in continuity for more than a few hours anyway.
You're right there.
frown.gif
I can't take a look around for more than 3 hours without needing to take a break and walk around blind.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what happens when the otaku in Japan play their Love Plus 3D(you know it'll happen) for 18 hours a day? Will they start confusing 2D girls and 3D girls and start hitting on real ones?

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
Perseid said:
So what happens when the otaku in Japan play their Love Plus 3D(you know it'll happen) for 18 hours a day? Will they start confusing 2D girls and 3D girls and start hitting on real ones?
i sure hope so... i do not fucking want to see this again.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've seen a video of the 'wedding' and I'm convinced it was a publicity stunt. A lot of the guys who take video games that far, particularly in Japan, have mental issues and never go outside. This was way too public and organized for the average otaku to pull off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol