Hardware 3DS, Dangerous for health?

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well... The article was written in February, back when they didn't have a health warning. But still, most of the consumers do and will dismiss any warning provided. Even with the DS, people are so eager to play that they mash the buttons when they are at the warning screen, most of the time, not reading the warning.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't wait for the accident claims to come rolling in:

QUOTE said:
I hit a dog whilst driving because the 3DS messed up my depth pereception
say 12 year old little timmy.

Everything has hazards with it...It's one of the many joys of life ^.^

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, you can turn off the stupid 3D.

I don't really care about these claims. I'm still getting the 3DS. It still has great graphics!

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Timmy is 12:

QUOTE said:
I hit a dog whilst driving riding my bike because the 3DS messed up my depth pereception

And I do admit, the 3DS' graphics are incredible for a handheld...

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as Nintendo displays a health/safety warning screen every time you turn on your 3DS, you'll be fine.

For your health!
DrSteveBrule.jpg

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
I have no sense of depth perception anyway (thanks to mother smacking me in the eye with a plate) so I should be fine.

I have no sense of depth perception either...my mother threw plates at me once (among other things, this time it was because I wanted to keep one of our puppies and she was sick of me...crazy bitch)...but I'm unsure on if that's related
tongue.gif

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Overlord Nadrian said:
Note the two sources: abc.com and Wikipedia. Yeah.

The guy who wrote the article: Mark Pesce, works in the virtual reality domain. I imagine he already knew a lot about depth perception, which is something very important in 3D vision, one of the main factors in virtual reality. He used wikipedia to support his article, and to let others better understand his opinion. In fact, he used it more to show that depth perception has 10 cues, parallax being one of them and not to base his whole opinion on it.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
ok well at least you can turn it off if its hurting your eyes.

We will have to see the effect once we get it, i can't imagine it would be as annoying as those shutter 3d glasses

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This isn't the 1st time i hear this

apparently, when Kojima was talking about his plans for Metal Gear he did mention that it does hurt your eyes when looking a the screen.

but nothing about "loosing 3d vision" ....

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the problem I have with this.

VR Goggles and IMAX Theaters are different then 3.5 inch screens. With VR Goggles and IMAX Theaters your entire field of vision is encompassed, so you have nothing else in the real world to gage 3D off of.

With a 3DS, you will see the 3.5 screen and everything around it. Therefore your mind will see the screen, and in the perfular vision you will see a tree in the distance, or your lap or what ever is around you as you play. Your brain will have to still judge depth preception in this case. It will not throw out other pieces of information as they are still in use.

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It makes no difference if the screen is small or big, since your eyes are concentrated on the screen and not your surroundings. The problem is that your eyes are focused on that same spot, which in this case, happens to be in 3D.

So when most players (including me) play a game, may it be a handheld or a console, they usually don't randomly look around the room, thinking about their eyes.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
metamaster said:
It makes no difference if the screen is small or big, since your eyes are concentrated on the screen and not your surroundings. The problem is that your eyes are focused on that same spot, which in this case, happens to be in 3D.

So when most players (including me) play a game, may it be a handheld or a console, they usually don't randomly look around the room, thinking about their eyes.

False: it does make a difference - well not directly. But witth such a small screen, the "3rd dimension" - The Z-Axis - The axis causing your eye to refocus - cant be as big as with a 50" LCT TV. Sure the brain/eyes might become confused still - Im no doctor :/ - but the effect isnt as big

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
leinad said:
False: it does make a difference - well not directly. But witth such a small screen, the "3rd dimension" - The Z-Axis - The axis causing your eye to refocus - cant be as big as with a 50" LCT TV. Sure the brain/eyes might become confused still - Im no doctor :/ - but the effect isnt as big

That is the case for the real world, where there is a real Z-Axis. On a 3D screen, the Z-Axis is simulated, but badly. As the article pointed out, it creates the illusion of 3D by using only 1 of the 10 cues used in depth perception. By excluding the 9 others, your brain will, over a long period of time, stop using the other cues. That means the you will still see in 3D, but the same 3D you get on a 3D screen. The screen size rather affects your day to day vision, regardless if its a 3D screen. If your eyes focus on something for an extended period of time, they will have a little trouble getting back to normal focus. (This is especially for long-term use)

metamaster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lighting and shading, Texture gradient, Peripheral vision, Occlusion, Accommodation, Aerial perspective, Familiar size, Relative size, Perspective, Depth from motion and finally Motion parallax.

If you didn't use all the cues, you wouldn't be able to properly estimate distance, or even see in 3D. That would mean that you could bump into something you thought was 10 feet away.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The over time portion also bothers me. There is no way to prove that this is true. This is all in theory.

Brain mapping shows that pathways are created for the items we use most frequently, and items that we don't use are discarded.

The fact is, even if you play games for 6 hours a day, you still have 18 hours of not playing games. Your pathways will still remain strong. There is not enough inactivity for the brain to do away with the other 9 cues.

metamaster said:

Actually, that is an assumption. Your eyes by default take into account the 10 cues you mentioned below. Your eyes are telling your mind, there is a 3.5 inch screen in front of me. There is a game console surrounding the screen. There are my knees below the console. There is the floor. Over to the right is a tree. Over to the left is a wall. Just cause you focus on one point it doesn't mean that your mind is not processing all of the other data.

If you were to watch an IMAX movie, or if you were to wear VR Goggles, your brain will say, no matter what direction I look in, I see this screen. It has no other cues to play by, since your whole scope of vision is being filled by the effect. I guess the IMAX glasses may give it an effect, but thats about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16