Hacking Xenoblade and Loadiine

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Sorry for my noob question,
But would that give us access to HDD using Xeno game with Loadiine ? not for loading the rpx but the game files? that way we can practically use HDD to store the files for other games instead of having to buy large SD cards. Do you think something like this could be possible? like load rpx from SD card with mii maker and then load game files with Xeno from HDD? or is this impossible or way too complicated and doesn't worth the effort?
think of it like this, currently without iosu access the only things the wiiu will read from usb are legitimately installed content to the properly wiiu formatted section, and from here its only allowed to access content designed for the game being launched, and as the console thinks we are always launching SSB/Miimaker its only allowed access to boot games content which is why you have to manually install updates and you can't access DLC for a game even if you have it install properly as the console is booting the game with the "wrong" permissions list, idk if theoretically you could try hamfist the content directory into a directory the boot game *does* have access to, say the smash bros save directory (idk if this would really work i would imagine there could possibly be save directory size limits ) then redirect the content access reads to reads from the save directory which could infact be stored on a USB HDD...........but then how could you get the content folder stored into the save directory.....and even if you did its a pretty crude solution

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for my noob question,
But would that give us access to HDD using Xeno game with Loadiine ? not for loading the rpx but the game files? that way we can practically use HDD to store the files for other games instead of having to buy large SD cards. Do you think something like this could be possible? like load rpx from SD card with mii maker and then load game files with Xeno from HDD? or is this impossible or way too complicated and doesn't worth the effort?
No, that will not grant HDD access in other games and you can't use HDD to store games dumps.
You are thinking "HDD" as "external hard drive", but I wasn't talking about that.
I was talking about the location where DLC are downloaded, it could be on the internal Wiiu memory OR on the external USB HDD, but in both cases DLC doesn't grant USB access.

Like gamesquest1 said, the WiiU checks the launched game's meta.xml to grant folders permission.
if you boot the game with SSBU, the IOS read the meta.xml and allow read access to the SSBU DLC folder (either internal emmc or external usb) and read/write access to SSBU save folder. read to other save folders (to let games unlock features based on other game progress). all other folders are protected.

The wiiU doesn't let the game access the game's data directly, but it uses a shortcut
"vol/save/" redirects automatically to the real path "current TitleID savefolder" (which is SSBU folder!). Same for the DLC, when the game checks the DLC files it uses shortcuts (or functions) to access them in read only.
Loadiine can't write files to that location.

What could be done (maybe) is redirect the shortcut to the real DLC path instead of SSBU DLC path, but it implies that you ALREADY have the DLC installed on your console. You need to launch the game officially from the disc to install the DLC first.
Once installed, maybe loadiine could redirect file read access, but we haven't test that yet.

Gamesquest1 : Your idea has been tested.
We tried to store more saves for multiple games into the SSBU save folder, but it didn't work.
I don't remember clearly what the problem was. @Maschell could maybe confirm it, he was the one who tried it when he was developing saviine.

lelek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's been confirmed that the US version will have all the DLC characters available in the west. Does anyone know if we need to connect to the eshop to get the characters?

Last edited by lelek,

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gamesquest1 : Your idea has been tested.
We tried to store more saves for multiple games into the SSBU save folder, but it didn't work.
I don't remember clearly what the problem was. @Maschell could maybe confirm it, he was the one who tried it when he was developing saviine.
The problem is, that you don't have unlimited save in the SSBU save folder. I think you only have an maximum of like 60MB, which is not enough. (SBB alone uses ~50MB).

edit: I should have read Gamesquest1's post. It tried to inject NES Remix into the SSB (with saviine you basicly can inject ANYTHING into the save folder), but after some files you can't write any new file because of the full save quota. When we could disable this quota limit, it should be possible. Is there a REALLY small game (like Wii Chess) thats < 50MB :D? I could try it with some VC games.

Last edited by Maschell,
Reactions: gamesquest1

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry for the doublepost.
Today I finally had time to test this. I were able to inject NES Remix into the SSB common save and redirected the loadiine path to "vol/save/common/foo". I worked nice, but there is still that save quota issue. This way games with maximum 84mb will work. Maybe with the iosu exploit its going to be able to remove that limit.. or find a way to use the usb drive easiert and a with a real fat partition

Reactions: gamesquest1

Cydonia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Noobish question incoming: can I dump my Loadiine save data with savine, and inject it on Wii U so that I'd be able to play with the original disc without restarting the game from scratches?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you don't need to "dump" the save data with saviine, because your save data files are already on SD card.
look in sd:/wiiu/saves/xenoblade/ folder.
You will have "c" (common, unused by this game), and "u" (user profile savedata).

You can inject this save files to the console to continue playing and access online (that's what I did and it works).

First, you need to know your real user profile ID.
Play xenoblade at least one time on your console using the disc to create a save. it will be replaced later with your loadiine save but you need a "place holder" first.
now exit the game.

run the kernel exploit (normal kernel, not loadiine kernel)
run saviine homebrew, and set your computer IP. press A.
return to wiiu menu.

launch saviine application "dump.bat"
launch the game
The computer program will open a menu asking you what you want to dump : common or user.
disable common (it's not needed), and click OK.
exit the game after dump is done.

do not reboot the console or you will need to run the kernel and saviine again

on computer, go to \saviine_root\dump\00050000-101C4C00\
inside this folder you will find your ProfileID. 8000000x
(for example 80000001)

now delete this folder, and rename your loadiine "u" folder to that ProfileID.
u -> 800000001 (or 2 or 5 or to any number your profileID is)

close the saviine program if it's still open.
launch "inject.bat" now
launch the game, when it asks what you want to inject, disable "common" and click OK
Done!

I recommend doing a "dump" every now and then.
for example, every time you launch the game, or after every completed chapter, create a new dump to keep a backup of your progress.
You wouldn't like to lose 100H+ of gameplay in case of crash/accident/whatever.
to keep multiple dump, rename the "8000000x" folder, or next dump will overwrite it.

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some extra info:
- saviine tries to create the save folders when they dont exist, so starting with the injection SHOULD be fine.
- the injection folder don't have to fit your target profileID. e.g. you can inject 80000001 into 80000008. Simply choose an random id when you inject from loadiine ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy